Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Hello from a new member in eastern WV

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1249 times

Old 09-20-2010, 09:06:02 AM
Registered

Photo Hello from a new member in eastern WV

I've been a railroadiana collector, large scale train operator, blacksmith, and love the smell of coal smoke in the morning !
Back in 1975 while on vacation in upper New York state, I chanced on a headlight and purchased it and had it put away all these years in a dry place. While passing through various pictures on the internet trying to figure out what it came off of, I came across a few identical lamps....on the front of steam tractors...made by C.G. Smith, 352 Pearl Street, New York. Measures about 14" wide, 20" tall, and 8" deep, side door.....lens gone, some rust, brass reflector with all the silverplate missing and cracked in a few places between the chimmney hole and the bottom of the rim. Has original wick(circular), no chimmney, vent at top with handle mounted on that, as well as two steel hanging brackets on the back. My question, as I have no refererence for comparison, is this a rare item ?, and .....I've refurbished it, but not "restored" it. (Bondex to fill in rusted out places and two-part epoxy to pull the reflector into a stronger piece, painted and pin-striped...there is the cap missing off the fuel tank, but there appears to be no pinholes in the tank)
I have before and after pictures, and not being sure about how to post them on this site, I'll try. Anybody who is knows anything, please lets hear from you.
Attached Thumbnails
Restored light.jpg   , finished Sept. 2010....Steam tractor headlight.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2010, 10:12:59 PM

Thanked 17,706 Times in 5,300 Posts
Default Re: Hello from a new member in eastern WV

First off: WELCOME to Stak!.......

Secondly, I'm going to copy your post to the steam side where I EXPECT you'll get an identification of your, now gorgeous, lamp.......

The link is there >>> http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80857