Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Steam Rollers, anyone?

this thread has 86 replies and has been viewed 24760 times

Old 11-27-2010, 04:52:11 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,020 Times in 2,235 Posts
Smile Steam Rollers, anyone?

The thread about the Buffalo-Springfield roller in Baltimore, and spending time on the Traction-Talk website has kinda got my interest piqued about steam rollers right now. I think a whole lot more got saved, and are still shown nowadays, over in the UK. Here in the states an operating steam roller is somewhat of a rarity. Darn shame, as I think they're a real neat old machine!

I've got an old derelict 10-ton Buffalo-Springfield at home on the farm (Kelly-Springfield design, with the solid flywheel). Anyone know where a decent boiler for my roller could be found? Mine was probably the last remaining steam-powered roller in the state of Mississippi. I found it for sale in Gas Engine Magazine back late 2000-called the owner and about fell over when he told me YES it WAS a real STEAM roller-not an infernal combustion machine. I was heading down to Southern MS anyway to play at a music festival that weekend, so before leaving town I went to the bank and drew out the appropriate amount of hundred dollar bills and laid them on the table after I met the gentlemen and looked his old roller over the next day. I needed it, and still need it, like a hole in my head, but just HAD to have it, no matter how rough it was.
His dad had bought it from a scrap dealer back in the '60's, just shortly before it was to be cut it. It's all tore down, and had a few odd-n-end parts made for it, but boiler looks pretty bad (never even UT'd it it looks so bad!), the drive gearing (2-speed I think?) looks tee-totally wore out, but amazingly enough, after coming from a scrap yard, ALL the brass (valves, injectors, even the big brass name plate) is still there.

Who all on the stak has got steam rollers? Any pics? Also it would be enjoyable to see pictures of old working rollers way back in the day. And modern pics of rollers at shows would be nice, too!

Thanks,
Mike M
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2010, 05:40:34 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,110 Times in 177 Posts
Default Re: Steam Rollers, anyone?

You got any photos of her complete?
I've heard they're quite fast on the road?

I know it's English but I thought I'd get the ball rolling. My engine is an English Aveling & Porter 8 ton of 1906, this engine went from new to Switzerland, I have a copy of the original boiler plans which are in milimetres!! These were drawn up in Kent England in 1906, we started first using metric I think in 1972, I wonder if they had to scratch their heads on the conversions??
Mike.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benz1890 For This Post:
Old 11-27-2010, 06:11:00 PM
Registered-III

Mike,
That's one good looking roller! I don't know why there never has been as large of a following for steam rollers over here as in the UK. Unfortunately, this probably meant that rollers were probably still being scrapped, after the preservation movement started over here and traction engines were being saved-and rollers weren't?

Here's a pic of my roller-
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...ield%2A&page=2

I've never seen the old girl assembled, as it was one of those deals (like I seem to specialize in!) where I brought as much of it home in the back of the pick-up truck as when the trailer brought the rest home!

Mike M

Last edited by Mike McKnight; 11-27-2010 at 06:24:20 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 11-27-2010, 10:42:40 PM
Allen

I'm not trying to hog this thread, really I'm not...

But since I have them, some pix from my files... swiped from anywhere I found them....

I think this is an OS Kelly

Avery

Beth ought to recognize this brand

Those chicken and basketball folks

one more page and I'll quit...
Old 11-27-2010, 10:53:10 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,073 Times in 652 Posts

Allen, in the description of the wagons, the larger one is said to have a rear axle that is removable and reversible. Any thoughts on why one would do this?

In the description of the smaller one it says it is steerable, on both ends, for use on "tight"roads"! It can be made to crab. That would be fun.

Last edited by JHFoster; 11-27-2010 at 10:59:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:57:15 PM
Allen

WWI doughboys and another Case

An earlier Case

Huber

Iroquois
Old 11-27-2010, 11:15:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 7,741 Times in 2,001 Posts

Russell...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 11-27-2010, 11:16:11 PM
Allen

JH, I don't know the answer... maybe a PH or construction person here does?

And, I lied... I found several more that begged to be included...

A cutaway drawing

Not steam, an Austin, Fordson powered - IMO very cute!

An Aveling and Porter in... Massachusetts?

I haven't a clue....

And one further in a minute... if you aren't bored yet
Old 11-27-2010, 11:22:17 PM
Allen

Case or Baker? I'm not sure....

A Springfield of some variety?

A pair of English rollers

And Kim's car, hehehehe
Old 11-27-2010, 11:28:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,254 Times in 720 Posts

Allen i love those Case roller pics. you hardley ever see a pic of one with a short smokebox. and that late one is brand spanking new. you can see the striping in great detail! reminds me of how a father and son team do in in Manitoba check out the disk, wingsheet, end of the heater and the front bolster. odd it doesnt say case on the heater. and the rollers always had 2 factory scene decals on the bunkers. i always liked how they hooked all the condensate lines together too
Old 11-27-2010, 11:37:12 PM

Thanked 12,347 Times in 3,761 Posts

Here's my brother's former Buffalo Springfield roller. Jonas Stutzman now owns it & rolls his yard and drives.

Neat toy, but pretty boring at a show unless there is lots of "stuff" to roll!

Beth
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 11-27-2010, 11:46:43 PM
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Allen i love those Case roller pics.
I probably liberated them off fleabay, so saving them to YOUR files is receiving stolen property, lol.

We're using them as examples in an educational setting (fair use), and the original copyrights (if any) have probably already expired....
Old 11-28-2010, 02:10:15 AM
Registered-III

Allen,
I 'bout flipped out when I saw that "Prancing Pony" on those pictures of that roller in Mass, myself! I thought WTH was an Aveling Porter doing in Mass????? Not like there wasn't a BUNCH of builders here in the states, that shipping wouldn't have been that expensive on. Who knows???

Thanks for all the neat pics, guys-n-gals! Steamrollers're cool!

Mike

PS-I remember several years ago someone had an unrestored Monarch roller for sale on e-bay-anybody have a clue where it might have gone? I think it was in Oregon or somewhere out West-thought that would have been a cool one to have

---------- Post added 11-28-2010 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-27-2010 at 11:55 PM ----------

By the way-how many Case rollers were built? I'm guessing there was quite a few-I'm really surprised no more have survived than did.

Mike M
Old 11-28-2010, 03:49:49 AM
Registered

Any pics? Also it would be enjoyable to see pictures of old working rollers way back in the day. And modern pics of rollers at shows would be nice, too!

Thanks,
Mike M

G'day All. Allen, I have been playing with a Marshall Roller, here in Rockhampton Queensland.
It is the original Council Roller. I am not sure of its age ect, must check that stuff out.
The fire box is in very sad condition, ie 16mm plate is down to 6mm, around the stays, wear is in the fire box side. We have just replaced about 60 stays, 15/16'', and welded small 60mm diameter plates of 6mm thickness where the stay goes through the plate. As directed by a very friendly, Boiler inspector.
We will, we hope, be approved for about 50psi, ie calculated on 6mm plate.
Injector needs about 40psi minimum, and will at least get the show on the road .
The next alternative in about 2 years will be a new Firebox. lets not go there, as to how much that will cost.
Will check out loading some photos.
Cheers
Mark.

http://img.techpowerup.org/101128/Capture002.jpg
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Markone For This Post:
Old 11-28-2010, 04:18:01 AM
Allen

Leader

And just for Colin.....

Old 11-28-2010, 04:48:49 AM
Allen

With these, I'm about out of old pix
roller graveyard

gas contraption

wreck in England
Old 11-28-2010, 06:50:07 AM
Registered-II

Here is an image that was in my file.
Thanks,
Giovanni
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31789u.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	93717  
Old 11-28-2010, 06:11:21 PM
Registered-III

Anyone know if any Russell steam rollers survived as a roller? There was one shown on the front of June 1966 E & E, but had a traction engine front end on it. That issue is for sale on e-bay right now:

http://ebay.com/June-1966-Engineers-Engines-Magazine-Rumely-Oil-Pull-/230496188971

Not the seller, nor am familiar with the seller.

Mike M
Old 11-28-2010, 10:25:52 PM
Registered-III

I'd like to recommend the following book on steamrollers. It has quite a bit on our Western NY favorites: Buffalo Pitts/Buffalo Steamroller, Iroquois (which made beautiful machines!), and from our friends in nearby Canada, Waterous.

Classic American Steamrollers by Judge Raymond L. Drake and Dr. Robert T. Rhode, published 2001, $29.95 list, 128 pgs. softcover, ISBN 1583880380; subtitled as: “1871-1935 Photo Archive”

Remember that you can always by used books on-line at BookFinder.com and at AbeBooks.com.

Thanks for listening!!

Brian Szafranski
webmaster - http://www.BuffaloPitts.com
Old 11-28-2010, 10:40:12 PM
Registered-III

That is a REAL nice book-Bob and Ray did a HELLUVA lotta work when they put that one out! I remember corresponding with Bob when they were about to put it out-that was right when I was going to look at my roller, and Bob was REAL excited about me getting the old girl and gave me a lot of encouragment to do so.

Now-ten years later-am thinking REAL hard about digging in after my Case is done and seeing what all I'd have to do to make 'er live again! I just NEED an operable steam roller on the place to roll my driveway, dont ya'll think????

Mike M
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post: