Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Tonights new Toy.

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3039 times

Old 05-26-2011, 10:21:16 PM
Registered

Talking Tonights new Toy.

Odd what will fit in the back of a 2005 jeep liberty... he he..

1961 David Bradley Suburban and the belly mower deck.. and this find isn't Missing the control Levers....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0078.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	107444

Now maybe I can have a idea how to fix and collect the correct control levers and pulley set up for my 1963 David Bradley 725.

I will get better pics tomorrow for you all and search for the Serial # tag.....

It has been Owned and barn stored for the past 17 years by a Wonderful elderly Guy Named John in The Auburn N.Y. Area. He Upgraded to a newer Tractor and this one he decided to sell. and I feel so Honored to of met John and buy his tractor and shake his hand and gather his Fun with the tractor.
2 1/2 hour drive one way Right after Working a long day in the hot weather. I am about Spent...

Yet wanted to show atless this pic I took of it.

Thanks for looking.

Now I will need me a Manual..
As I want to Make this into a Parade and show tractor.

N.Y. Scottie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N.Y. Scottie For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2011, 11:26:50 PM
Registered

Wink Re: Tonights new Toy.

Tomorrow I will have to Push the nephews new Toy a 1965 Cub Cadet Model 71 he wants to Restore and add a front bucket onto...

And cover his up with a tarp ,As I want to Start admiring and working on my new find.

Neat how the Brake to each wheel shaft runs, the set up for the reverse on the right hand side and such...

I need Correct Belts for the Motor to the small Dual pulleys below the Motor,And the Main Drive belts to the reverse and forword...

Has a Older Pull Start Briggs and Stratton ,

I Found that Tiny Choke at the base of the steering shaft very cute...

I just can't wait.
I may grab a flashlight and get ya's the Plate numbers.

N.Y. Scottie

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

Model Number # 91760601

Is it commen to have a T Shaped Wooden handle on the Reverse Lever as a T NOB and the rest are hard Black plastic lever nobs?

Thanks N.Y. Scottie
Old 05-26-2011, 11:48:38 PM
Registered

Default Re: Tonights new Toy.

Now that's tight squeeze!

Congrats on the new machine.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:07:54 PM
Registered

Smile Re: Tonights new Toy.

Name:	Photo-0079.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	107536

Name:	Photo-0080.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	107537

Name:	Photo-0081.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	107538

Name:	Photo-0082.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	107539

Few more Pics for eye candy... Best wishes all ,Nephew and I had her started today,though I Didn't get any seat time just yet....

We want to remove the carb and clean and go threw it...

N.Y. Scottie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N.Y. Scottie For This Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 10:51:12 PM
Registered

That tiny choke pull is factory, and there should be a kill switch mounted to the frame in the same general area. All the control levers should have a plastic ball on them.

Whats the serial number below the model number??
Old 05-28-2011, 11:13:26 PM
Registered

Hello Jeff Lauber,

It's Serial Number # 5947.

But does this info still mean it's a 61 correct?

Thanks and best wishes

N.Y. Scottie
Old 06-05-2011, 09:39:27 PM
Registered

Name:	0605112113.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	108138

Looking at others tractors, I see I have a Larger then normal Reverse Pulley on the dual pair on the tranny case.

What size should the outter Pulley be? Also How do I get this Pulley off? Unscrew it? As I tried a Puller and chipped a spot.

Also I could use a Extra Black Plastic nob,so I can remove the wooden handle on my reverse Lever.

I am not able to get the Two Pulleys off the tranny,So I can't remove my two main tranny bolts to take the tranny off and paint it,so I had to pressure wash the grease off and paint as it sat.. GURRRRRRRRRR..... As I nit pick my tractor Projects with a tooth brush and kerosen to remove all oil and such before painting,and hate that this tranny Stumped me.

The Gold is some that I found that matched the Original the best,without payin' 19.00 a can to have a Exact Gold spray can Made to match... this gold I am using is High Temp. Engine Gold paint....8.00 a can......... I hate Painting with GOLD or Chrome... Runs far to Easy.......

I wanted Robbins egg blue for the rims,control for the deck lift and the Deck..And a gloss white for the front Center of the grill and the DB Letters on the hood, I will be addin' new Suburban David bradley Decals on the side of the hood and the motor and air breather cover.

Another DB I am Looking to Buy, is
Model # 917.60616
Serial # 9816

Unless one of ya find it before I come up with the cash.

N.Y. Scottie
Old 06-05-2011, 10:28:31 PM
Registered

yes the reverser pully is bigger on the older tractors, than on the 725. This was brought up in my group here a while back, the manuals say the same belt # for all the reversers so im not sure whats up with that.

You should be able to find a knob at like a truvalve store or someplace that sells hardward.

Taking off the clutch puley is trciky. Most of the time the center adjusting nut is stuck to the inside of the reverser pully. Dont pull it off unless you want junk parts. The center nut has a pin going though it that also goes though the shaft of the gear case. You have to spin the reverser pully off the center nut after taking out the two set screws. Inside this clutch are the 11 or 12 steel balls and some washers that make the clutch lock over center. Its a real bear to get the balls back into the center of the clutch and get it set right later. Id just leave it alone unless you rellay have to remove it. If you do there are flat and threaded spots on the center nut. you have to be careful not to run a set screw down and damage the threads on you will not be able to ever adjust it again.

This tractor being a 601 is a 59, the 616 is a 61 model. I already have a 59 , 60 and 61 model so i wouldnt be needing another one. I own 11 running tractor from 59 to 65. As far as i know so far my 59 with a serial # 1313 is the oldest orginal complete one known. Still waiting for some one to tell my they have an older one. I did know of one that was supposed to be down is the 1200's but the guy never could/would send me a picture of the tag. I kind of keep track of the serials just as a fun side part of the hobby.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:59:25 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Tonights new Toy.

Jeff Lauber, So all the while I been tellin' Nosy Neighbors wanting to see my new toy that I am restoring a 1961 David Bradley Suburban... Guess I best buy one then he he... So I have a Project to restore after I finish this 1959 David Bradley Suburban....

From my Pics does this 1959 seem all there? Other then small items like that Wooden Reverse shift Nob....?

Thanks for inlighting me that i have a 59...

Best wishes N.Y. Scottie
Old 06-05-2011, 11:23:58 PM
Registered

its hard from a picture to tell if all the p's & q's are on anything. I like that gold paint color it looks pretty nice. Painting one of these things is hard because the orginal tractors used a green primer, that helps give the gold its color. Theres no way to get orginal leaded based paint, so you have to do what works best in modern times.

On the shifter you could just leave it or put on some type of knob, i have one tractor with chome skulls on the valve stems just to be differnt.

If you have a 601/602 tractor its a 59,, 613/614 are 60 models and 616, 617, 618 are 61 models. There is also a 622, which is the first model to use the newer blue and white paint colors. Its also the last tractor to use the oval shaped hood.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:29:38 AM
Registered

Talking Re: Tonights new Toy.

Jeff Lauber, Thanks alot for the reply and info...

I have had a sore throat from this hot weather and coming inside after work to be around a AC unit as the wife sleeps days and has it running... So I haven't been in much mood to tinker on the DB or spray cans for that matter.

Yet the nephew and I did tackle the rear rims last night..So I could move the machine around some....

Name:	0610112144.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	108403

After he left I did the other rim alone and installed it.. I want to tackle the front rims,Deck lift handle ...and gather some new belts.

I'll do the Motor tins and fins last....

Thanks for the time and tips...
I am pumped that it's a 59...

N.Y. Scottie
Old 06-11-2011, 10:09:35 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Tonights new Toy.

my 1959 david bradley suburban is turning out to be a fun project.. and a eye catcher ... Folks stopping to ask about what it was today.... So i didn't get time to clean and paint the motor tins...

Name:	0611111929.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	108433

Name:	Photo-0090.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	108434

N.Y. Scottie