Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Hello from Florida/Canada - bearing babbit and Pewter for sale

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1172 times

Old 12-09-2011, 02:20:00 PM
Registered

Default Hello from Florida/Canada - bearing babbit and Pewter for sale

My home is basically Canada althouigh I spend 6 months (all I allowed) in Florida. I am 83 yrs young my father was an engineer born in 1868 (thats right he was 60 years old when I was born and my moter was 40). My father passed away in 1950 leaving many tools equippment etc. from his railroad days. I have disposed of many articles but still have many more that I like to get rid of. I have brought with me to Florida approx 17 lbs of what I believe to be babbitt for railroad bearings and 7 lbs of Pewter. There are 39 bars of babbit and 17 bars of Pewter. The pewter bars are all stamped with a centering punch with a "P" or the complete word marked with a center punch "PUTER". I have no idea what the significent of the Pewter being in connection with the babbit. Both Pewter and babbit are small bars weighing approx 7 oz ea. I could sure use some info on the best way to sell the lot if in fact it is worth selling. I can forward pics of the articles by email as I am not that user great dealing with these webites. jdm2730@hotmail.com
John D
The Following User Says Thank You to reddog For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2011, 03:12:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,597 Times in 912 Posts
Default Re: Hello from Florida/Canada - bearing babbit and Pewter for sale

There are pewter smiths still out there who would love to have the pewter. The ones I know of for shure are in Williamsburg VA. They still do smith work in the town. I have been there as a tourist and watched them. Bill K

Welcome to the stak.I would list the Babbit on engine ads on this site. there may be some one in your area who would be interested and could pick them up so you did not have to ship them.Bill K