Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Hello from Roxboro, NC

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1389 times

Old 01-10-2012, 09:36:59 PM
Registered-I

Default Hello from Roxboro, NC

Hello everyone. I thought I had posted my welcome post back when I joined, but apparantly not. So here goes. I am Joel Walker from Roxboro, NC. I'm 48. I am self employed doing mostly electronic repair (60%) and mechanical work. As far as collections go, there is a lot here. Hercules, Fairbanks Morse and Stover hit & miss. F-12, F-??, BN and Super A Farmalls. David Bradley walk-behind and Suburban. Several Sears Suburbans and Customs. Old Cub Cadets. Maytags. MANY Briggs. Couple of Wisconsins. Reel mower with a Briggs. John Deere LUC power unit. JD #6 hammer mill. Montgomery Ward hammer mill. Fairbanks-Morse #1 feed grinder. And probably a lot more I can't even think of right now. I have a fairly complete machine shop with a Bridgeport mill and Clausing lathe. Also cylinder boring bars and rod honing machine. I am the president of the Flat River Antique Engine & Tractor Club. We have held 18 annual shows, but there won't be any more, unless it is a small show at someones pasture. Anyway, glad to be here and hopefully I can learn something here, or help someone else.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2012, 11:43:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,506 Posts
Default Re: Hello from Roxboro, NC

What happened to yer show???
Old 01-11-2012, 09:07:54 AM
Subscriber

Welcome aboard. This is a great place to feed your addiction.
FL
Old 01-15-2012, 02:33:08 PM
Registered-I

Yes, this site should fuel my addiction well! As far as the show goes, we had a good run of 18 annual shows. We donated over $30,000 to local charities over the years. Our club was formed in 1993 by about 15 local guys. I wasn't one of the 15, but have been involved from the beginning, as my father in law was one of them. We had good community support for many years, but as time went on, our show dates, which have been the same since the beginning, began to be used by other events in the community, taking away from our participation. As the economy has worsened, it became very difficult to solicit ads for our show book, which was our main fundraiser to pay for things at the show. As the years went by, fewer and fewer members of the club were willing to help put on the show. This is not necessarily their fault, as many of the ones that started the club in 1993 at 55-65 years old, had gotten to the place that they couldn't help even if they wanted to. Finally, at our last show in 2010, we had our usual tractor pull, but with a different pulling outfit. They claimed to have a great following and promised us we would have wonderful turnout and a successful event. This did not pan out. We later found out that he was a big time liar and had screwed others as well. We had a few professional pullers there, but not enough for a decent event. Just to get something on the track, I got a couple of other club members and myself and we had a "show class" pull. All the other things at the show went reasonably well. Over the winter after the show, we lost two of our most active members. One of them loved working the gate, and wrote our newsletter. The other was one of the original 9 board members, and his equipment made up over half of our demonstration area. His name was Michael Blackard. All his stuff was sold at auction in May of this year. I bought what I could, but most went away. The board of officers of the club decided after their deaths, and the trend of how our show was going, that it would be best to stop having shows, and liquidate the clubs assets at Michael's sale. We donated all the money in the bank to our charities, and will be closing the account soon. The club will still exist, and those of us left will still have demonstrations at our local Agricultural Field Day, an event put on by the local Extension agency for all the county 5th grade students. It was originally held in conjuction with our show, at our show grounds. I guess I will stop rambling for now. This is generally what happened, but there is a lot more that contributed to our decision. Thanks for asking and listening.
The Following User Says Thank You to joelandjoyce For This Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 02:54:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,597 Times in 912 Posts

Welcome to the stak joeandjoyce. Sorry about the demise of your show. We have some small shows here in MS, compared to alot of the shows. But we have a good time. All it takes is 2 or 3 people to get together with some engines and run them. So maby the smaller show in a field will work out. Bill K