• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

1-1/2 H.P. Novo Info Needed.

Andrew Albrecht

Last Subscription Date
11/03/2013
I Have a 1-1/2 h.P. Novo engine, and was wondering what the engine R.P.M. rating is? All i have is an Oval Novo Sticker on the hopper. Thanks:wave:

Pete Nichols

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/06/2011
Andrew,
The rated speed for the 1 1/2 Novo is 600 . You can look for the serial # on the top of the water hopper on the one inch wide machined surface .The number will straight above the spark plug . Also on some of the Novos the serial # is stamped in the base just below the fuel pump, ( between the mounting bolt hole and the gas tank drain plug ) .

Pete :wave:

The oval tag is above the spark plug also !!!!!!

Last edited:

Andrew Albrecht

Last Subscription Date
11/03/2013
thanks for the r.p.m. rating. i have No machined spot on the top of the hopper. and there is a raised numbers on the base directly below the crank but i cant read them and i think they are just casting numbers. my metal oval tag is long gone.

Pete Nichols

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/06/2011
I've never seen a Novo without the Machined surface on the top of the hopper ! :shrug:

Pete :wave:

John Davis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
Anyone have extra parts for a 1-1/2 hp Novo "S" ? I need a fuel pump lever and the cam roller arm.

John Davis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
Andrew,

Are you sure your Novo is a 1-1/2 hp? I do not see a air breather on the crankcase. Is the crankcase open on the flywheel sides? If so then it is a Novo Jr. 1hp. More rare of a engine then the Novo 1-1/2hp. See difference in photos below of a 1hp Novo Jr. and a 1-1/2hp Novo.

Very nice looking Novo you got Andrew. Some one is selling reproduction mufflers on Ebay if your looking for one. ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Andrew Albrecht

Last Subscription Date
11/03/2013
Well thats me, i don't know what i have. i noticed the open crank when taking the photos. mine has what looks like the original sheet metal cover on the pulley side. so i learned that i have a Novo Jr 1 h.p.:D I will get a photo of that side.
So, they didnt make many of them or what?

Rex Pyles

Registered
Andrew, you have 1.5hp engine. The jr. engines have a normal looking gas tank where as the 1.5hp engines on the offside have a little support area for the crank and the main.:wave:

Gary Pflum

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2014
What model Novo is your engine? I think that the 1 1/2 hp Novo engines were 28 5/8" tall measured from the bottom of the base to the top of the hopper. Wasn't the Novo Jr. shorter?

John Davis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
Andrew, Sorry if I told you wrong. Another collector had told me that the 1hp Novo Jr's were the only Novo engines with no air breather and a open crankcase. Maybe this is not true?

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Rex,

Not disputing what you said about the Novo's but what does a normal Novo gas tank look like? Also what side is the offside? Are you talking about the cast support under the bottom of the main bearing? I do see that the Novo Jr gas tank seems to have more of a tapered looking cast gas tank base. However I did not know that some of the 1-1/2hp Novos had open crankcase. Is this on the early models? Because I notice my 1-1/2hp has a place for a mag bracket where Andrews does not and.

Guess you learn something new all the time.

Last edited:

Andrew Albrecht

Last Subscription Date
11/03/2013
well thats what its all about:D. we all learn from each other. here is the photo of the cover on the side. The off side is the side without a crank handle in general.
yes mine is 28-1/2" tall. where does the mag bracket go? where my two bolts are?

Attachments

Rex Pyles

Registered
John no problem, the JR., early style 2hp, the 2.5hp, 3hp, 4hp, 5hp, 6hp, 8hp and 10hp Novo's all have similar looking tanks, I went out in the garage to dbl check and the 1.5hp engine has style all of it's own. There seems to be a support underneath the mains on both sides and if you look directly at the end of the main(by the flywheel) that is where the tank tapers down where as on the other size engines it starts to slope taper on the crank side of the main and by offside I mean the pulley side which it typically the side opposite of the spark plug but I know not always.

Last edited:

John Davis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
Andrew,

I meant to say that the photo of the 1hp Novo Jr I posted does not have a mag bracket. I'm not sure if those two bolts on yours are for a mag or not. I'm going to guess that they are because my mag bracket mounts in the same place but the two bolts are not horizontal.

Last edited: