• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

1 1/2 Waterloo Boy

MarkBillesbach

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/01/2018
does anyone know what size of a hole for the gas orfice should be? I've got a Wiltry mixer that I can't get to run for long at low speeds. I drilled it out to 5/32 and it helped, but I'm concerned I might go too big . Anyone have any ideas?:shrug:

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Hey Mark,
Bill and I have been talking, and he thinks that possibly there is a piece missing down inside the "choke/priming cup" down on the end of the drop pipe. He seems to think that the choke cup is not really contacting anything and it is not getting enough choke feature. They all seem to like a lot of choke when running slow.
Rather than drill it out any more, I would possibly carve a stick or something to stick inside the pipe and start experimenting. The biggest hole won't really help if you don't have enough restriction to get a little venture effect to draw the fuel up. You could even wad up a piece of window screen and jam inside the pipe. Anything that would partially restrict it. Or just some sort of plug in the pipe. That would give more suction, so the fuel hole you already have would work better. You could drill the plug 1/4" to start and keep drilling bigger till you find what it likes. And worry about making it more permanent after you hit the magic number. Of course, the smaller the hole in the plug, the less you'll be able to open your needle va;ve.
Bill has a reducer bushing on the Lunkenheimer on his 7 1/2 Galloway, but even that was not enough, so I rolled up a bunch of baling wire and jammed it into the hole. Of course, your check valve had better work right, or the fuel will drop out of the mixer while it is coasting. (unless the fuel tank is mounted up high)
We aren't really running these things the way they were designed, and they must be tuned a little differently than factory specs.
Give us a call if we can help. And bring that Union Giant if you come up!
Kevin

MarkBillesbach

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/01/2018
Kevin, I placed a 3/8 washer in the end of the intake pipe and it restricted the airflow too much to even run. I gradually step drilled it out to 9/16 and it runs great for about 4 or 5 min, then it acts like it's starving for fuel.I drilled the hole in the cross gas pipe out from 1/16-3/32-1/8- 5/32. It helped, but now it will run for 5 min then act like it's flooding,then turn around and act like it's starving for fuel.Very tempermental. I guess what I'm trying to find out is what was the original size gas hole that came from the factory. Mark:bonk:

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Mark,
I don't know the original hole size, but if it runs good for 5 minutes, then your combination has to be in the ball park. Something else is eating on it intermittently. When you figure out what it is, it will seem so obvious.
Dirt in the fuel system, a gummy check valve, a loose/bad piping joint drawing air in somewhere, lemme think, Just right, then too lean, then too rich, hmmm???
I guy I know just had trouble with a brand new Cat dozer. Changed about a hundred filters I guess. It would work great for a while and then not. It turned out to be plastic shavings from manufacturing process in the poly fuel tank.
Kevin

MarkBillesbach

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/01/2018
I took the engine down again last night and rechecked the ring gap and fit in piston, both OK. I keep thinking it dosn't have enough compression. Now I'm thinking my gas tank isn't mounted high enough. The bottom of the tank is above the check valve,but the top of the tank is about 2 in. below the intake port. There don't seem to be many people that are familier with the wiltry mixers, so it's all trial and error. I would think by raising the tank 2 to 3 in. that the engine wouldn't have as hard of a time siphoning the gas and the check valve on this should keep it from running out when it's not sucking. I'll let you know how it works out. mark:crazy:

Nathan K.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Hi,
I have made a couple of witry style mixers for engines that were missing their original mixers. The top of the tank (fuel level) should be lower than the cross pipe or the fuel will run out, if your tank is not vented you may need to loosen the cap to avoid building up pressure/vacuum. On my 4 1/2HP T eaton (waterloo) I have 2 feed holes ~1/16, I have run it at ~125rpm lifting the fuel from 4 to 8" without choke. Smaller engines can be harder to tune, I would check the fuel supply/choke, also the ignition system and you may need to put in a smaller fuel hole to get a finer fuel spray. Hope this helps Nathan.

MarkBillesbach

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/01/2018
Nathan, Finally someone who knows something about the Wiltry! You said you have 2 1/16 holes, how do you have them placed? Are they straight up or angled at a 45 deg into the head?How far apart are they? I even tried running it without the gas cap on with no success. I started out with 1 1/16 hole but I had to have the needle valve almost wide open to keep it running. I kept stepping up the hole size, and I would have to close down the needle valve to get it to run decent,but it still would either flood itself out or act like it was starving.I did find when I pulled it back down that there was a lot of soot built up in the cylinder which I had cleaned out the first time I had it apart, which leads me to believe that I'm getting too much gas to effectivly burn clean. Your thoughts?:shrug: Thanks, Mark

Nathan K.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Hi,
I put the holes facing up (as per a reprint manual), spaced apart one third of the pipes ID. Is your check valve good or does it not hold every time?, also does your choke close good? :confused:. With a single large fuel hole the fuel may be in large, poor burning drops. If you have an igniter it may need cleaning or new mica, if a spark plug, it maybe time for a new one, if they are getting good voltage. Free advise which may not be worth anything;) Nathan.

MarkBillesbach

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/01/2018
I checked the check valve and it will hold the gas for days, also the cast bowl that goes around the bottom of the pipe for the choke seals off good enough to bring the gas up into the cross pipe with the jet hole in it.I had the igniter out and cleaned it and it has good blue spark. I think from you description of your set up, I'm going to change out my cross pipe and drill 2 1/16 holes in it and try that, it seems to make the most sence at this stage. I'll let you all know .Thanks for the info, Mark;)

MarkBillesbach

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/01/2018
I give up!!! I put in another pipe with 2 1/16 holes ,checked for vacuum leaks. Checked the timing,spark,fuel check valve. Put in new gas and still it only runs for about 1 min then acts like its flooding (puffs lots of black smoke ) but yet if I spray either in the mixer it starts running faster.I think it's time to shove it back in the corner of the shed before I get mad enough to sell it!!:mad: