• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

1/2 scale Phoenix Log Hauler

3/4 ADVANCE

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2013
Marv; GREAT PROGRESS! You have come a long way since I saw the smokebox door number plate at Rock River. Keep us posted on the good work. What size tubes are in the boiler and how many? Thanks , :wave: 3/4 A

Pete LaBelle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
Your tracks look a little tired. Did they start out life as something else, or is that just the picture ?

Need project !

Pete

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
The Phoenix Log Hauler has 2 steam engines, one on each side driving that individual track . . . am I correct?

If that's the case, when turning, is one engine ran faster, and the other ran slower, producing a power turn?
the Phoenix has 2 cylinders on each side set at 90 deg so there's no high centering. the differential between the 2 tracks is the steam Tee in the smokebox. the front skis or wheels do the steering, no power turn.

in the pic, the inverted U is the steam supply Tee and the inverted Y is the exhaust.

marv

Attachments

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
Marv; GREAT PROGRESS! You have come a long way since I saw the smokebox door number plate at Rock River. Keep us posted on the good work. What size tubes are in the boiler and how many? Thanks , :wave: 3/4 A
26- 1 1/2" tubes
marv

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Your tracks look a little tired. Did they start out life as something else, or is that just the picture ?
Pete

the tracks and final drives are from an agricat small crawler chassis.
i have replaced all pads to be more like the Phoenix tracks.

marv

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
today's project was to finish the exhaust piping.
the original engines used castings for the pressure and exh pipes.
we made the half scale pressure plumbing with sch 80 pipe and 300 fittings.
the exh is made with a combination of welded pipe and fittings.
the pressure reduces at each Tee from 1" to 3/4 to 1/2 pipe at each cylinder.
the exh increases from 3/4" to 1" to a 1 1/4" exhaust coupling.
that way i will be able to fine tune the exh nozzle size/location after it's running.

Attachments

Paul E

Registered
The Phoenix has 2 engines on eah side like a shay and are not connected. the steam comes from the throttle valve insidethe dome and Y.s to both sides. the engines on the side of the inside of the curve create more resistance so more steam goes to the side on outside of curve thus turns faster. Paul E operator of wabeno s phoenix

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
yesterday i mounted the fire box door.
it has a second latch that holds the door open.
either one will unlatch by lifting the handle.

today i sealed the ashpan to the mudring, installed the cast iron grates and made and mounted the angled braces on both sides of the wrapper.

(i also enjoyed the sunshine, 48-50 deg F and scraped 3" of slush out of the yard and driveway :))

Attachments

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
drive shafts and gears installed. the sprockets will drive the final track drives.

both Osage and Wabeno Phoenix have steam turbine generators in front of the cab for the head light. does anyone know of one about 6" diameter?

Attachments

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
That's some damn fine work there Marv!....... :brows: ....... :salute:

Colin Farquhar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
That is going to be an amazing machine! (am I the only one who's envisioning it out on a snowmobile trail next winter?)

Colin

Eric W B

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/15/2011
I run home everyday to check this thread out. It makes my day when you post your progress and pictures! Thanks Marv!

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
spent the day working on the first assembly of the engines on the 1/2 Phoenix.

the johnson bar in the cab will hook up to the Stephenson linkage arm to move all 4 links at the same time.
johnson lever and bar completed on Saturday. pic next time.

i also have to determine if i can make remote cab linkage for cylinder drains.
the Wabeno Phoenix has them, on the Osage one the drains are operated at the cylinders
my cylinders will have to come back off when i determine where to tap 1/4 npt for the drains.

marv

Attachments

Last edited:

GaarScott

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2009
A friend called me this morning and during our visit he asked me if I'd been keeping up with this thread. Sadly, with all that's been going on in life, I've been away from Stak for quite sometime. Sure am glad he pointed me onto this thread though. Marv, sure looks like you've been doing an amazing job with the build. It will certainly be a nice machine when your done...do you have a projected date in mind? Any chance you'd be interested in hauling to Iowa this coming August for the National Modeler Show? It sure would turn a lot of heads! Nice build!

Lawrence J. Swanz

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
Any chance you'd be interested in hauling to Iowa this coming August for the National Modeler Show? It sure would turn a lot of heads! Nice build!
Lawrence J. Swanz
Warren Bellinger has already contacted me about doing that, Ceder Falls, Ia. Aug 15-17
he said they're trying to get the Smolik Phoenix from Osage there.
i'll do my best to be there as well.

currently i'm working on engine details and assembly.

marv

Ed Sparks

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2015
outstanding craftsmanship Marv. :salute:

Question though
What is this 48-50 degrees you are talking about???:shrug:
We feel lucky if the thermometer hits freezing lately
Only seen that a few times in the past month.

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
i'm still working on engine assembly and details.

picked up the water tank yesterday, i will use round head drive screws to attach the top.
the original tank was large enough for someone to buck the rivets inside.
my tank is 11X13X72" the rivets are on 1" spacing

the tank slides into the frame under the barrel.

the large pipe on the side of the tank was the steam ejector to draw water from a storage tank, stream, etc to fill the tank.

Attachments

Last edited:

wagswitte

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/17/2014
Been following your thread Marv very nice work can't wait to see the finished project keep posting the pic's of your progress.