• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

1/2 scale Phoenix Log Hauler

QuickJ

Registered
Marv,
Which Minnesota shows are you going to have this at this year? I usually attend at least 7 in August and September and I would really like to see this in person. Great job, and thank you for sharing the build with us.

Jim in Minnesota

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
it will be at Wabeno, Wi. with their full size one July 12th.
Hastings, Mn July 26
Osage, Iowa with their full size one Aug 9-10
Cedar falls, Iowa scale model meet Aug 15-16
Rollag, Mn Aug 29-31
Anderson's Rock Creek Relics, Mn Sept 6-7

all plans are subject to the Good Lord willin and the creek don't rise :O

marv

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
i've been working on the cab.
pics as of today. still need the roof panels.
the back half of the roof is removable and
i'm leaving the back center open because i'm not half size :O
marv

Attachments

3/4 ADVANCE

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2013
Marv; Lookin' great! Where did you come up with the steering springs? Did you buy them like that or make them up yourself? They look nice and beefy. Who gets the hot seat for steering? Hope to make it up to Wabeno to see it. :wave: 3/4 A

Colin Farquhar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
This is probably one of the COOLEST projects I've seen (here or elsewhere) in years. Great work, I hope to see it person some day :)

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
Wabeno huh Marv?
:confused: ........I'm thinking another trip to Wabeno is my future........ :brows:

greysteam24hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/31/2013
Excellent project! I know for me is not that hard to machine it and build half scale model. I'm a machinist, tool and welder for many years at work. Someday when my time permit I wanna scratch built one of kind 1/2 scale traction engine.

Congrats! :clap:

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
Marv; Lookin' great! Where did you come up with the steering springs? Did you buy them like that or make them up yourself? They look nice and beefy. Who gets the hot seat for steering? Hope to make it up to Wabeno to see it. :wave: 3/4 A
the steering springs are die springs with forged yokes, my fabrication.

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
i just arrived home from Wabeno, WI.
i was not able to get the half size Wisconsin inspected in time,
so no fire this time.
(sounds like they don't honor the Minn. inspection i have.)

fun to have all 3 together, full size,(Paul Ehlinger) 1/2,(Marv) and 1/6 size.

marv in minn

Attachments

3/4 ADVANCE

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2013
Hi Marv; You are correct. No agreement between Wis. and Minn. YET. Hopefully in the future. Perhaps Eblinga can help you with info on what hoops the return flue Minnie and the straw burner Advance had to steam through last summer on their whirlwind tour of Eau Claire, Baraboo, and Edgar last summer. Hope you had a good time none the less. Sorry that I couldn't make it up to see your jewel in person. Someday.............. :wave: 3/4 A

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
^ :headbang: ......I FORGOT Wabeno was THIS weekend!....... :bonk: ........ :headbang: :headbang:

Marv in Minn

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020
i took the 1/2 Phoenix to Osage 8/9/14
steamed on Saturday, after a short run, the right hand engines bound up. :confused:
i disconnected the right side and backed to the parking spot
with the left side cylinders.
when it comes home in a couple of weeks, i'll find out what is the problem.

next weekend it will be a static display at the Model Expo in Cedar Falls.

marv

Attachments

Jeff Smith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018
A friend built a two cylinder engine and it ran for a short time on steam and bound. In his case it was the end gap on one of the piston rings. With the gap not correct they can run hours on air and be fine, but use steam and they will stop.

I hope your issue is a simple fix and that you are able to find it quickly so you can go back to playing. :) I have enjoyed watching your thread on this neat engine. :wave:

ihredo4

Registered
Looking forward to getting to inspect this tractor at Cedar Falls. I'm sure it looks as good if not better in person. Thanks

Roger Byrne

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
ihredo4, I know that you won't be disappointed when you see it in person. It's better than the posted photos show and is truly a great example :salute: of model building.