• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

1/3 Case-Reduction Engineering Begining in Califonia

sjkhouse

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
I hope to begin forming some of the boiler sheets in the next couple of weeks. I stumbled into B7100 here on smokstak , he has already been incredibly helpful.
I would like obtain a copy of Ralph Andres book , How to build a 4" Case traction engine. I have been watching Ebay for it . Any other ideas?
I am in central California , and I would like to know if there are any Reduction projects (under construction or completed ) in my area or even on the west coast.

sjkhouse

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
Re: 1/3 case-Reduction Engineering begining in Califonia

I hope to begin forming some of the boiler sheets in the next couple of weeks. I stumbled into B7100 here on smokstak , he has already been incredibly helpful.
I would like obtain a copy of Ralph Andres book , How to build a 4" Case traction engine. I have been watching Ebay for it . Any other ideas?
I am in central California , and I would like to know if there are any Reduction projects (under construction or completed ) in my area or even on the west coast.
Today I received 3 of the boiler forming dies from b7100 ,again many thanks .I am very interested in acquiring the rest of them , particularly the 2 for the throat sheet and the firebox ends . Please let me know if anyone knows where I can find them .
Casemaker has agreed to provide me a copy of Ralph Andres book, many thanks to him also . I'm going to slow down a little until I get a chance to study the book.

sjkhouse

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019

Reuse is the ultimate recycle , on the far right backhead die borrowed from b7100 ,next adapter to allow throat die on my too small rotary table bought at a garage sale a few years ago for $25 ,throat forming die from surplus structural connector ,foreground structural connector ready to become firebox die ,straight side cut with gas chop saw built from dead target saw that I coupled to a homelite 360 that I never liked as a chainsaw . The target was so old that it is a v belt , the 360 clutch( note hole sawed in case to allow extra space for double clutch thickness) nested into the target after turning its sprocket teeth off in lathe two brazing spots secure it and a brass washer takes out the side play . hopefully this post works as I am getting familiar with smokstak

Attachments

Last edited:

sjkhouse

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019

Reuse is the ultimate recycle , on the far right backhead die borrowed from b7100 ,next adapter to allow throat die on my too small rotary table bought at a garage sale a few years ago for $25 ,throat forming die from surplus structural connector ,foreground structural connector ready to become firebox die ,straight side cut with gas chop saw built from dead target saw that I coupled to a homelite 360 that I never liked as a chainsaw . The target was so old that it is a v belt , the 360 clutch( note hole sawed in case to allow extra space for double clutch thickness) nested into the target after turning its sprocket teeth off in lathe two brazing spots secure it and a brass washer takes out the side play . hopefully this post works as I am getting familiar with smokstak
I have heard and it appears from looking at old threads that some builders have chosen to eliminate the superheater and increase flue sizes . I would appreciate any input as to sizes and layout . Also I understand that there is a 1/2 scale that has been at some of the shows on the west coast ,that is having a commercial boiler built for it . Does anyone know about who's that is? Thanks

Casemaker

Registered

I have heard and it appears from looking at old threads that some builders have chosen to eliminate the superheater and increase flue sizes . I would appreciate any input as to sizes and layout . Also I understand that there is a 1/2 scale that has been at some of the shows on the west coast ,that is having a commercial boiler built for it . Does anyone know about who's that is? Thanks
I believe you are hearing about a half scale that has recently had a ASME code boiler built for it. I will PM you will the owners name and phone number when I get home.

sjkhouse

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019

50 years ago I built a boiler in High School shop and now I am standing in almost the exact same place with the first tangible piece of my 1/3 case, the flanged , trimmed in lathe ,ready to be bored for flues , flue sheet!

Attachments

Big Bird

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2018

One piece at a time..... The only way to get it done..
Remember.. The biggest hole starts with just one shovel full. :O
How long did you beat on it before you got to trim it down on the lathe. :shrug:

greysteam24hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/31/2013

I just sold a 4 inch Case reduction engineering book today on eBay. I had two so decided to sell one off. There's lot of reference blueprints in that book.

chrsbrbnk

Registered

what did you decide on for flue sizes and definitely skip the super heater
a couple years back I had a conversation with a guy who lived near guy who made the prints he said the super heater wasn't the greatest idea i thought Andres was gas fired so sooting would not be as much of an issue as doing wood or coal but even then you'll get more hp from larger tubes, gas flow and thermodynamics don't scale directly more like a cube root function

sjkhouse

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019

I had a helper 2 days ago , we probably spent an hour with 2 rose buds. After it cooled and I got a look at it ,I realized it hadn't gotten pulled down on the die tight . Yesterday I worked by myself and finished it up . I probably spent 45 minutes and used a propane set up which I had laying around , so that probably slowed the finish off a little .

---------- Post added at 07:55:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51:57 AM ----------

I'm going to follow the layout from B7100 11 each of 1-1/4" tube no super heater

b7100

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Saw your picture with your first formed part. Looks like you have a few grey hairs. You'll have a lot more by the time you get done with this project.

Big Bird

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2018

I just sold a 4 inch Case reduction engineering book today on eBay. I had two so decided to sell one off. There's lot of reference blueprints in that book.
Was that book a" reduction engineering book" or was it a" Ralph anders book published by apple blossom " that you sold on eBay
Just wondering if it was different from the one I have.

---------- Post added at 12:31:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27:01 PM ----------

Hey b7100 did the video come thru of the case I sent you. Jeff C :wave:

b7100

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

No I havn't seen it. Maybe you could try posting it on the stak. To my knowledge reduction engineering doesn't have a book. He apparently purchased the the patterns from Ralph. He seems to be a nice guy but has never built one of these and has very limited knowledge as far as building one of these.

Casemaker

Registered

Reduction Engineering was started by Ralph Andreas....the book "How to Build a 4 inch Scale Case Steam Engine and Water Wagon" was written by Ralph Andreas. The book is not published any longer..it was published by Apple Blossom. The book is chock full of good information for building a boiler and machining out the castings. It also contains drawings as well.

sjkhouse

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019

garyjohnflange2.jpgView attachment 257443
Reduction Engineering was started by Ralph Andreas....the book "How to Build a 4 inch Scale Case Steam Engine and Water Wagon" was written by Ralph Andreas. The book is not published any longer..it was published by Apple Blossom. The book is chock full of good information for building a boiler and machining out the castings. It also contains drawings as well.
Here is the "A" flanging team Santa Cruz Ca. ( At least as far as we know)
All the boiler/firebox ends are flanged .We both learned a lot and had a lot of fun. My helper on the right grew up next door to me here and has had some experience (finger prints are on the Alaska pipeline , from the very early days) Due to a missed hammer swing when the throat sheet was on the male die , we put it back in the throat die for a re do and it came through with flying colors. Looking ahead a little , I am unsure about putting my tubes in , whether or not to weld or swage . I wonder if there has ever been a process to " hot swage" by heating the tube/sheet and hitting both with a custom made tool?

b7100

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Expanding the tubes is not that hard. You need a 1 1/4" tube expander. Get a real close fit on your tube holes. Read my post for tolerences. Beading requires a specially ground air chisel bit and a good quality air chisel. I put a copper ring around the bottom flue in the smokebox to make it easier to get the tubes out if you ever have to change them. If you decide to weld then it will be a lot harder when you have to retube it. Looking good. That is the hardest piece to form. How did it come out for fit around your 9 1/2" tube?

sjkhouse

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019

Expanding the tubes is not that hard. You need a 1 1/4" tube expander. Get a real close fit on your tube holes. Read my post for tolerences. Beading requires a specially ground air chisel bit and a good quality air chisel. I put a copper ring around the bottom flue in the smokebox to make it easier to get the tubes out if you ever have to change them. If you decide to weld then it will be a lot harder when you have to retube it. Looking good. That is the hardest piece to form. How did it come out for fit around your 9 1/2" tube?
I haven't gotten much done recently because I've been working quite a bit( mostly because I'm supporting my case habit) Neither of my mills is big enough to rotate the throat sheet on a rotary table so I'm using a boring head as a fly cutter . This mill/drill has a 3phs motor and I've cut the frequency to a little over 30htz with the vfd . I've used it for drilling but not any sustained amount of time . The household fan is for extra cooling and I have taken quite a few breaks to let the motor cool . I don't know how much heat a motor can take, I'm just going by what feels comfortable to my hand.
On another note, my son lives in Minneapolis and there are going be a couple of opportunities to visit the area coming up between now and thanksgiving . I would appreciate any input about events ( within 500 mi of Minneapolis ) where I might see 1/3 reduction case projects.

Attachments

sjkhouse

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
throat1b.jpgthroat3b.jpgthroat3 (2).jpg

Here we go bending the wrapper sheet , with long time childhood friend ,Gary and Neeka our lab. After looking at previous threads and some of the set ups, I was loaded for bear with 2 20ton jacks and one 12( I had 2 more on hand but couldn't fit them on the mandrel). I couldn't find a good set up in my junk pile to make rollers , so I went with 4" galvanized pipe, welding it in, and used aerosol grease sprayed on the pipe and on the sheet. Everything went great as we started working 3 jacks it was clear one would do it . ( we used a 20 but a 12 would have done the job start to finish.