• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

1/3 Scale Case Boiler

Steambuild

Registered
Many thanks b7100, thats enough to get on with for now. I am still a long way off that but the drawings are not too good here .Im up here in Canada 1 hr east of Toronto, maybe i come down your way and meet you at some of the shows. Ernie

Kelly Tytlandsvik

Subscriber
I have the start of a headlight. It's based on a Star locomotive headlight. Main frame is a 4" pipe. Looking for a 4" reflector. I will probably have to turn one out of aluminum. Not sure about a light source. Any suggestions?
How about out of a large flashlight? The ones that took the 6 volt batteries.

b7100

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I have looked at flashlight reflectors. 102 mm would be perfect. There was one listed but was no longer available. Dog dish would work except that the diameter has to be around 4". A lot of possibilities - it's just finding the right shape and size. Maybe a trip to Menards might turn up something. Turning one out of aluminum wouldn't be that hard. Thanks for the suggestions.

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Stainless Steel ones I bought at either Menards or Farm & Fleet several years ago are a little over 4 inch diameter having a flange diameter of 4 5/8ths and around 4 1/8th on the inside of the flanges.

Might be a little too steep of a side angle for a typical headlight bucket so not sure how much they would reflect forward versus 'wide-angle'.

I bought them with plans on recessing some tail-lights with them but never got around to using them.

:salute:

Attachments

b7100

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Otto that's a little too deep. Looked at home depot and found a 6 volt flashlight that was real close. The dog dish and parts tray might work but if I can find the right flashlight it would have the bulb and switch. Don't know how to make a drawing with dimensions but if you Google Star Headlight and Lantern Co. (They are still in business) click the about tab then there is the history of the company. There is a catalog #8 1915. There is a picture of an acetylene headlamp. I was able to blow that picture up to the 4" piping size that I had. Then took my calipers and sort of measured it. Kind of used those measurements and guessed the radius's. Made some of the parts out of wood to see how they would look/fit with the 4" pipe. Was originally going with a Ham style headlight but thought this was easier and looked better.

b7100

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Made some progress. I had to canabolize a 6 volt (5$) light. Got a battery and some parts left. Now I need to come up with a smaller battery to fit in the case. Can someone tell me if a 9 volt battery will work with this 6 volt light. Otherwise I need to come up with a series of batteries to make up the 6 volt. The brass was a little pricey but it adds a nice touch.

Attachments

Pete LaBelle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
A 9 volt battery will cook the 6 volt bulb. You're adding 50% additional voltage to it.

Incadecent bulbs will have the nicer glow to them if you run the voltage a few volts below the rated voltage. Problem is they will be battery eaters. An LED will last much longer. You don't need a really bright LED. Probably just something to make it look "on", but I don't know where to send you for this. Maybe tear apart another flashlight. Batteries will last much longer though.

That's quite the heavy duty lamp though. Nice work !

Pete

---------- Post added at 08:55:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47:03 PM ----------

A 9 volt battery will cook the 6 volt bulb. You're adding 50% additional voltage to it.

Incadecent bulbs will have the nicer glow to them if you run the voltage a few volts below the rated voltage. Problem is they will be battery eaters. An LED will last much longer. You don't need a really bright LED. Probably just something to make it look "on", but I don't know where to send you for this. Maybe tear apart another flashlight. Batteries will last much longer though.

That's quite the heavy duty lamp though. Nice work !

Pete

b7100

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Thanks Pete. This is a led light. Can I connect 4 aa or aaa batteries together to get the 6 volts? Are there any other way I can do this with a battery that will fit? The light is mainly for looks. Its actual use will probably be limited.

sjkhouse

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
Led replacement bulbs for flashlights etc. work off of current not voltage . Go to home depot tool department and see if they have one that fits your base ( thread?) If you find one that fits it shouldn't care about the voltage

b7100

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
The 6 volt flashlight I bought is an led. The problem I have now is fitting a battery in the case. A 9 volt battery would be just right if it will work. Otherwise I can go with 4 AAA's in series to make the 6 volt. Other thing is the led is a very bright light (not very authentic). Not that it matters.

sjkhouse

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
The 6v led should be fine with a 9 volt battery . ( and will probably last long as the big 6vbatt with an incandesant bulb. ) A few years back Mag Light flashlights were very popular . Different sizes 2 through 6 cell Maglights all needed to have different voltage bulbs, Now one replacement led covers them all.

b7100

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I tried a 9 volt. It seems to be ok. That solves that problem. Many thanks.