• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

1/3 Scale Galloway Construction

gbritnell

Registered
Gentlemen,
I have started building a Shelly 1/3 scale Galloway casting kit.
I am having a bad time with the drawings, missing dimensions, wrong dimensions etc. I have had several good responses from other forums where I posted by thought that being as it's a hit&miss engine I might have more luck over here.
If there is anyone that has built a 1/3 kit could you please contact me. I don't want to tie up this forum with something that can be done with emails.
Thanks,
gbritnell

maury

Registered
Re: 1/3 scale Galloway Construction

I also have a Galloway 1/3, but have it in the back burner for a while. I was wondering if you could post a list of the missing/incorrect dimensions when you have compiled a sufficient amount to be comfortable with the prints. That is if the list isn't too big.

Thanks,
maury

gbritnell

Registered

Hi Maury,
I'd be glad to do it whenever I get this mess sorted out.
gbritnell

John Davis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019

My Dad (Heller Davis) has machined and built one of the 1/3 scale Galloway"s but it has been many years back. Do not know if he made any notes on the prints or not. I will ask him. ;)

1/4case

Registered

I think the forum is great place to hash out the issues. Its kept in an archive of sorts for others to see and learn from. Two years from now another guy may be asking the same questions and be able to find a site like this with the answers.

Dan Hodge

Registered

I also have one of these about 90% done but stuck on a few parts. I have some notes. What part are you working on?

gbritnell

Registered

Here's what I have done: the crankcase, the cylinder, the head, the flywheels, the engine base, the crankshaft, the carburetor, the pushrod, the valves, keepers, springs. Basically I have most of the parts finished.
I need additional information about the lockout lever. The drawing is incomplete. I also need information about the igniter and the igniter trip arm, here again the drawings are minimal at best. I have had conversations with other fellows who are building or have built this engine and some of them have redesigned the igniter to their own satisfaction.
Scott, I see that you made your lockout lever from one piece. Any particular reason or it was just easier that way.
I made the valves on a guess. The drawing says intake one size and exhaust another size but from where, stem length, to the seat area, overall length? Most of the complex parts are a crap shoot.
Is there a reason that the governor spool is made in 2 pieces and the yoke that fits over it shows clearance holes and not tapped holes for the pivot screws? How are the pivot screws held in place?
As I said I finished the head but it was by scaling the drawing. Did anyone notice there's not center to center dimensions for the valve locations. Then there's the tapped holes for the intake and exhaust ports. How are they located dimensionally from back to front. The 2 cast bosses on the head are so far out of whack that when you lay out the centerlines the 3/8 pipe tap is running out of the boss.
I have an additonal 8-1/2x11 sheet that show the cylinder mounted to the base with socket head screws. This necessitates a back spotfacing tool. How did you mount your cylinder. Some of the other fellows just Loctited them together. Apparently the original plan of using 3 set screws had some drawbacks (warped cylinder) ????
Are you fellows going to be using MTP fittings for the fuel plumbing? Rather a pricey investment for one engine.
I realize it's a lot to ask but if you find the time maybe you can help me out with these issues.
Thanks so much in advance.
gbritnell

JasonB

Registered

My 1/6 scale drawings have the positions of the valves and inlet/exhaust tapped holes dimensioned, should just be a case of double the dims for your engine, let me know your e-mail via pm and I'll scan the drawing.

Jason

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Regarding the smaller pipe fittings for fuel, I use the unmachined fittings from PM Research and then you can go with whatever taps & dies you have to hand, I use the 40tpi ME series

J

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

You may be able to face off under the bolt heads using a woodruff cutter or malbe even a boring bar holder in a boiring head, this should give a reasonable seat for the socket heads.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

My you has tapping drill sizes and says to tap the same thread as the pins.

Heller D. Davis

Subscriber

Hello George: I built this model about ten years ago so had to drag out the prints and take a look. You are right about missing dim's and so forth. My prints have a lot of extra marking that I added. To many to actualy list on here. As to the gov. spool in two pieces, one piece fits slip fit inside the other. On my drwgs the gov. ring (1.00 Dia) has two 5-40 tapped holes for the gov. arm. and the two pivot screws. This same ring is slip fit on the gov. collar. The valve stem measurement is from the bottom of valve head. The .o62 hole for the pin is .125 from end of stem. I assembled the cylinder sleeve press fit in cyl and base and pinned three places with steel pins and finished flush so they was'nt visible. As for the latch out all the necessary dims were on the print and I made it out of one piece. On the valve ports I used the 9/16 and 5/8 dims and centered on the boss front to back. Let me know what dims you need for the latch out and maybe we can help.

chrsbrbnk

Registered

My print also has the c/c for the valves at 9/16 on intake and 5/8 for exhaust seat dia is 9/16 valve dia is 5/8 at the top and .1875 dia on the stem
I found the back spot facing tool in my box the other day and was wondering what did I use this for?
the cyl. oilier on mine wound up touching the hopper back side. sightly smaller oilier would cure that. the bolts heads for the ignighter are kinda tight to get to and I added a check valve in the fuel line the prints had all the dimensions in the version I got had to search a little it could be worse, they could be true position style and maybe in metric.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

The Shelly's were really helpful if you call them, I met them at the Iowa Mt. pleasent show a couple years back, good folks

gbritnell

Registered

Gentlemen,
I certainly thank you for your help. I was a patternmaker/designer/cad modeler for most of my working life so I do know how to make and read drawings. I don't mean this in any condescending way but my drawings are far from complete. As far as the valve spacing, just scaling from the drawing gives a center to center distance of 1.00. The intake and exhaust ports are .625 and .562 respectively but they are not on the same centers as the valves. As far as the front to rear placement if you center the 3/8 NPT hole from front to rear and use a .437 dia. drill through like it shows you remove about half of the valve guide hole.
My drawing for the governor yoke says 5-40 body drill 2 places. It doesn't depict a threaded hole nor does it state that. If you slide the 2 pieces of the governor collar together it leaves a space of .062. The ends of the pivot bolts don't show any such dimension for inserting into this slot. The piece with the 2 5-40 set screws has a small groove .800 dia.x.025 deep. What on earth is this for?
gbritnell
I scanned the drawings into a PDF format but they were all to large to post.
Needless to say I'm really frustrated trying to sort out all of these mistakes.

chrsbrbnk

Registered

I've got a print date of 7/12/90, on page 4 of 7 bottom right corner the gove. collar that has the .752 bore has 2 #5-40 tapped holes it slip fits the collar on the print print above it that has the .627 bore so the Gov. arm fits over the .752 bored collar and is screwed into the two tapped holes I could scan and email this part of the print Chris

chrsbrbnk

Registered

So the 1/3 scale would be 1.00 c to c on the valves which makes sense since the valves are .625 dia which gives a 1.625 total width since the cylinder is 1.75 after adding up the total width with 5/8 and 9/16 that couldn't be right in a 1.75 cyl

JasonB

Registered

So the 1/3 scale would be 1.00 c to c on the valves which makes sense since the valves are .625 dia which gives a 1.625 total width since the cylinder is 1.75 after adding up the total width with 5/8 and 9/16 that couldn't be right in a 1.75 cyl
Thats it the valves are equally spaced from the ctr line (1/2") each) but the threaded holes for inlet & outlet are at the 9/16 and 5/8 spacings.

Jason

gbritnell

Registered

I appreciate all the help everyone has offered. I'm making good progress on the big pieces but the small stuff is still slowing me down.
Anyway, here's a few pictures of my progress. I got to the point today where I could assemble a few of the parts to get an idea of what it will look like.
gbritnell

Attachments

gbritnell

Registered

Here's a couple of pictures of some of the small parts, carb, muffler, piston and connecting rod. Now that I have the main castings all machined I can start fitting the links and attachments.
gbritnell

Attachments

gbritnell

Registered

I'm making progress on the governor pieces. I found that the gear side main bearing had to have a notch machined in it to clear the cam so that necessitated setting up the crankcase casting again.
How do you fellows keep the crank gear from moving, put a small tapped hole into it?
After studying the 2 piece collar for the governor I didn't see any reasoning for it. The large part is free to rotate on the shaft and I assume it would with pressure from the governor weight against it so why not just make it from one piece? I turned it up from stainless as marked in the drawing but instead of tapping the 2 5-40 holes into it I drilled them .125 and then tapped the yoke holes 5-40. That way the bolts can be made the proper length and the yoke will pivot on the bolts.
I redrew the catch arm, scaling the missing dimensions from the drawing. Now all I need is information on the trip arm for the igniter.
gbritnell

Attachments

Adam Hartz

Registered

It looks like it is really coming together for you!! I have this same model sitting on my shelf. I bought it from a friend of mine and it was partially machined and partially complete. The head casting is missing and there weren't any drawing with it. And of course all of the hard machining is yet to be done. I have a full size version of the 5 hp on an original Galloway cart that I was hoping to make a 1/3 model of it. I was able to get a copy of the drawings from Dick Shelly over the summer. I have decide whether to keep it sitting on the shelf until I get the equipment to finish it or let someone else have fun with it.

Good luck with yours and I'll keeping a watch on your progress!