• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

1/3 Scale Galloway Construction

Rocky

Registered
Re: 1/3 scale Galloway Construction

I just buit this model also.I have good results by placing a couple drops of 290 green loc tite on crank gear and key. It holds gear and key in place and it can still be removed if needed.

Dick-CT

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/25/2019
I have built a 1/3 scale hay press from plans I bought from the baler man
I need a flywheel engine to run the press, because the briggs im useing just doesnt cut it.
Will this 1/3 eng do the job for me. My biggest problem now is i dont know the physcial size of this scale model.
Any help out there is welcome

JasonB

Registered
Sizes are here

Don't really know if a hit and miss would do it I thought the balers would be better paired with a 3" Case tractor or similar.

Jason

gbritnell

Registered

Well I got the igniter sorted out. With the help of a fellow builder (pictures and explanations) I sat down and redrew all of the parts from the original drawings. As has been the case from the start with this engine some castings had to be set up an re- machined to make them work properly.
The next step was to mount the trip arm on the pushrod so as to be in the correct position for proper ignition timing. One of the problems that arises is that the arm pivots on the pushrod and by adjusting the amount of pivot the timing can be changed.
Now if a fellow had 4 hands this might be quite an easy job but not being gifted with the aforementioned sets of hands I had to come up with another method of mounting it. I put the crankshaft in the approximate position for firing and slid the arm over the pushrod and up against the trip lever on the ignitor. I then scribed inside the .187 pivot hole to give myself a starting point for locating the hole. With that done I disassembled the pushrod and put it back on the mill.
Here's the plan I came up with. Rather than just put a hole where the scribed line was and hope that it would be close enough to get me the proper timing I decided to mill a .113 slot .339 long starting from the center of the scribed circle. I then turned up a multistep stud which has a .112 shank with 4-40 threads on the end, this enlarges to a .187 diameter to go into one side of the trip arm and then a washer disc with a .125 hex on the outside. This will go through the lever and the pushrod and have a bushing (.187 od. x .113 id. x .127 long) and nut on the other side. When it's tightened up it will clamp the bushing and shoulder to the pushrod allowing the lever to pivot on it. The good part is I can slide it for and aft on the pushrod to obtain exact timing without having to resort to remaking parts to get the job done.
I just have the gas tank (waiting for copper tubing) and the fender to complete, along with some nuts and bolts and this engine will be finished.
I have sorted out all of the drawing shortcomings and have redrawn them in AutoCad so that hopefully the next fellow won't have to go through what I have. I think even an extra sheet with some build information would certainly help.
My job was to supply a finished engine with someone else taking on the painting and polishing so I won't be able to present a glamor shot when finished but will certainly take some overall pictures to show.

George

Attachments

gbritnell

Registered

Well it's finished. I have about 110 hours of build time not counting the extra hours redrawing parts. I'm just waiting for parts from Coles to finish up the pipework.
I would like to thank everyone for their help, pictures, drawings and information. Without that a few of the parts wouldn't have been finished. For anyone going to the Cabin Fever show it will be on display at the Ministeam booth.
gbritnell

Attachments

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
It looks awesome and I am looking forward to seeing it at the Cabin Fever Expo. Larry

Last Subscription Date
07/30/2014
Nice looking engine there "G". I've followed some of you other works of art on the HMEM websight, but of late I've be keeping a low profile. Keep us posted. I've a 1/4 scale set aside for a future project. As stated in an earlier post, all this may/will come in handy in the future.

Dan Hodge

Registered
I am working/thinking about the governor weight. I do not have a dimension/radius for the arm that reaches around the sleeve on the crank shaft. Is the chamfer on this arm the same as on the sleeve? Only a hobby machinist but things are coming along.

Bob N

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/18/2019
Hi

I too am building a galloway the 1/8 version. This is the first time in over 30 years of building stuff that I have had to machine an angled bearing surface. I have build lots of things with angled surfaces but none that had to line up in the same plane as the centerline of the timing gear and piston like this one. The same will happen when I try an Associate.

Setting it up at a 30 degree angle is no issue. But how on earth do you know when to stop taking cuts. I can easily place a dot on the edge of the casting, even scribe a line from the surface plate. But once set up ther is no reference surface that I can find. I clearly have a 3D visualization problem here. I am obviously missing something as to the sequence. I can machine to the line and then measure for wherever that came out and use it for the centerline but that seems a bit backwards.

Any advice will help. I have the ignitor done, flywheels, and crank.

BTW I knew I was in trouble with the drawings when I was to ream a .125 hole in a piece .125 wide, drill a .421 hole in a a part .335 in diameter. Redrawing was a must.

Thanks for all the information, I am charging ahead.

Bob