• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

1/4, 1/3 scale steam traction engine laws in Ohio

Tim Moisio

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/25/2014
Looking at a 1995 built 1/4 scale of a 65hp case traction engine. I have searched Ohio boiler laws and have not found info on operation requirements and inspections concerning scale models.
Does these 1/4 scale steamers fall under the full size historical boiler laws for licensed operator and inspections for Ohio?

JKelsh325

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/14/2018
Looking at a 1995 built 1/4 scale of a 65hp case traction engine. I have searched Ohio boiler laws and have not found info on operation requirements and inspections concerning scale models.
Does these 1/4 scale steamers fall under the full size historical boiler laws for licensed operator and inspections for Ohio?
Depends on the size of the boiler barrel. If I remember right I think if it's under 16 inches interior barrel diameter it wouldn't be subject to the Historical boiler rules but it would be up to the discretion of the shows to let it be fired (if it was in obviously poor condition a good show with responsible directors/inspectors wouldn't let it be fired). Most shows are friendly to scale model operators provided the machine is in good shape and the operator is responsible. I know quite a few live steam locomotives don't require state inspection or the historic operators license because they are under the barrel size requirement

Tim Moisio

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/25/2014
Depends on the size of the boiler barrel. If I remember right I think if it's under 16 inches interior barrel diameter it wouldn't be subject to the Historical boiler rules but it would be up to the discretion of the shows to let it be fired (if it was in obviously poor condition a good show with responsible directors/inspectors wouldn't let it be fired). Most shows are friendly to scale model operators provided the machine is in good shape and the operator is responsible. I know quite a few live steam locomotives don't require state inspection or the historic operators license because they are under the barrel size requirement
Thanks.