• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

1/4 scale Case

E

Ethan C.

Scale Model Case Steam Engine

any of you fella's know anybody who could build me a model case steam engine, I am a little inexperienced!

gbritnell

Registered
Re: Scale Model Case Steam Engine

I guess to give you a reasonable answer I would have to first ask what scale are you talking about? The second thing I would say is "you apparently don't have any idea what this involves and how much it would cost. The man hours it takes to make even the smallest of engines unfathomable. You would probably be better off to watch the classifieds and find one that is for sale.
gbritnell

Jeff Conner

Registered

If it helps, I saw a Cole's 2"/ft scale Case traction engine for sale 5 or 6 years ago for $6500. It sold very quickly. With the $ as sick as it is, you'll have to guess today's price.
Jeff

LAKnox

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2016

any of you fella's know anybody who could build me a model case steam engine, I am a little inexperienced!
Just so you know, about 3 years ago, I spoke with a gentleman that had all the machine work done professionally on a set of Casemaker's 1/2 scale castings. It was about 100 hours of machine work. There was also some material cost as some parts have to be scratch-made (though there are several new castings available since I had this conversation). It was put on a Bob Oliver boiler, if I remember rightly. The man I spoke with did most of the assembly, painting and plumbing. Cost was somewhere near $30,000. I called a local machine shop here in AZ at the time and was quoted $55 an hour; I'm sure it would be higher now. Were you to have this done as a complete turn-key build, I would have to say that it would be nearer $40,000, today. I spoke with Tom Terning in the late 70's and could have bought a turn-key 1/2 scale from him (don't know if it would have been a code boiler or not; I simply didn't know to ask) for a whopping $16,000. :bonk:

Lyle

E

Ethan C.

what I can do is limited, fabrication wise. I cannot cast or machine, I don't have the tools to do it.:confused:

Marc P

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/28/2014

I know of a 1/3 scale Case (Reduction Engineering castings on a Terning boiler for sale). The machine has some years on it, but the person who was having it built kinda went belly up money wise and lost interest. This boiler was wet one time when it was hydrostated, never fired. It is literally a brand new tractor that has sat for about a decade. It needs differential gearing work and the water pump/plumbing to be finished, but will run on air.

It is for sale for $6,800. It is located in Nebraska. If anyone is interested pm me and I can give more details and a phone number.

E

Ethan C.

A new begining

I have dicided to build a working case model from scratch. I have a few parts built now, but i'ts going to take some, time that I think I have. :D

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019

I am totally baffled at the 100 hours that was quoted for machine work on a CASE engine. I just completed a 1/3 CASE and I give an estimate to folks of 1000-1200 hours to build mine. I would love to meet and learn from the individual that can do all that work in 100 hours. He/she must be a cracker jack machinist. Most model builders, such as myself, build for the shear enjoyment of it and not to make money. To build you a 1/3 scale at my shop rate of $45/hour plus castings and materials would cost you in excess of $50,000.00.

What I have suggested to several fellows in my area is too find someone who can be a mentor to you and help you through the process. Too find a vocational school and sign up for a shop class and use their facility to build your steam engine. Too start with something simple to build up your skills. I spent two years mentoring a fellow, who was a wood worker, who had never machined a piece of metal in his life. He build an "Allen" steam locomotive. Good luck to you. Salute; Larry:wave:

E

Ethan C.

I am building a 1/14 scale case. (I know, it is an odd scale to build in but I am limited on moo-laa.) I have a quick question, How do you inject water into a boiler without releasing pressure, from the boiler? :shrug:

Marc P

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/28/2014
Re: 1/14 scale case

My quarter had a scale injector on it and was extremely slow. It was only good up to about 75ish PSI, so I had to drop pressure to use it. According to Aaron Terning, the quarters are just to small for ligitimate injector use, while mine did work, it was far from success, it was a backup to the mechanical pump. I have seen another 1/4 that had a crosshead feed pump on it, and it worked very well and would be easier to plumb in than one geared off the crankshaft. Or just build a handpump, you can hook it down to the bunker and can be built out of hardware plumbing supplies for a lot less money.

gbritnell

Registered

This forum is to help others with model related problems and to display engines that have been built. In that vein I would like to sort out something about this new thread. I have a 1 inch to the foot scale Case traction engine. That would make it 1/12 scale. What in the world is 1/14th scale and what are you using for drawings? Why would you build something that is very hard to build because of the size and would require everything be made from scratch because there is nothing available in that scale. You have a question about injectors. There is no injector that will work at this scale. Maybe the confusion is because the 1/14 scale is a misprint and should be 1/4 scale. If you are severely limited on money, building a scale model traction engine is not the best project to start with. Why don't you explain yourself a little more, current hobbies, machining skill levels, machine tool availability, etc.
gbritnell

Grape

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/16/2019

Caseboy, everyone here wants to help, the more we know about you, your skills, and your desires in this hobby the better replies can be targeted to your needs.
You are going to have to have lots of patience and a little bit of a thick skin to get this project done. I challenge you to do the research, make a plan and stick to it. Even if it takes 10 years to complete.
Check out some of the other scale engines built that are talked about here. Even experienced machinests sometimes take 5 or more years to build one of these machines.
You won't get much from me but encouragement because I'm just learnin steam myself to assemble a small vertical stationary and boiler, And I don't have to build most of the parts.
Good luck and have fun.
-Phil-

Marc P

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/28/2014
Holy cow, If you look at my posting this morning, well before 5 A.M, I just saw the 1/4 scale title, not the 1/14 scale (was this a boo boo and is suposed to be 1/4 still?)

You will nearly need a watchmaker to do much of the work for you, unless you can do it by yourself.

Do you have prints? Are they in metric or what?

Is it 1/4 or 1/14? let us know we are here to try to help.

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Personally I am totally confused:shrug: the thread title says 1/4 scale, you have mentioned 1/14 scale and this is the second thread you have started on the same subject. I am with all the others. You have already stated several times that you do not have any resources in the way of $'s and machinery. But you do have the heart and desire to want a traction engine. That is awesome. May I suggest that you learn to jump first before you leap. In other words, you want a thousand acre farm and have never hoed and planted a garden yet.

There is a wealth of information out here for you. But you need to share a lot about yourself and possible resources before we can begin to offer up quality help. My little friend, and this is an assumption on my part, it takes a great deal of time and effort to respond to requests such as yours; especially since we have so LITTLE information about you. We do not know what level of education and experience you have.

There is nothing wrong about dreaming big, but you need to start with the basics first.

Salute; Larry:wave:

E

Ethan C.

Re: 1/14 scale Case

I just want to build a small engine from scratch as a start. with a simple little boiler and such.

Grape

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/16/2019
Caseboy, can I give you a suggestion? Start out with something easier than a traction engine.
I say this not to discourage you but to give you an easier first goal so you do not get discouraged.
How about a portable or even a stationary boiler and plumb it to a purchased or homebuilt stationary engine.
Less parts to make and you will gain experience on required construction techniques. Mechanics and operation would be the same without all the gearing and other parts needed to construct a traction engine.
I found a good quality vertical boiler with 16 feet of heating surface and a very small stationary steam engine. I'm collecting and making the parts I need to get it working. When done it will be transportable on a small trailer.
When I'm done with this I will move on to bigger and better projects.
I've already got 2 years into my project and still am not done.
Whatever you decide to do, Good luck and have fun.
-Phil-

110case

Registered

Give me a call. 815-XXX-XXXX John

Craig here: Do not post phone numbers in the forums.......please use the PM or email system.............. :brows:

E

Ethan C.

what can ya do for me 110Case?

E

Ethan C.

Simple Cylinder Plans

anybody have plans for a simple steam cylinder?