• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

1/4 Scale Reid Gas Engine

Tom Geier

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2017
Re: 1/4 scale Reid Gas engine

I would like a clutch if he will make extra ones

JChevy

Registered

Thank you Kelly . I painted the base yesterday so I have an assembled photo soon .

JChevy

Registered

I made a few changes on the model if anyone is interested , the main valve was made like to one on the prototype I found a valve and scaled it down .I also made the crank pin bearing end with a strap two bearing half's and a taper wedge just like the prototype. The last change was the addition of the three water hole covers on the front of the cylinder , which are dummy's .

JChevy

Registered

I decided to add a governor to the engine , a little late as all of this should have been made before it was painted .
Here is the pulley mounted to the charging side flywheel.

Attachments

Jamesk815

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
09/29/2017

Matthew

There was a guy selling them a few years ago at NAMES, and i saw him at COOL SPRINGS but not for a while now.You mite check on this site and see if he is listed. He also had the castings for the 1/8 size.
I first saw this model at Portland swap years ago, when Burns and Horner were
selling them. They had a full size Reid on trailer , and it was running. On the
trailer fender were 3 model Reid engines, and they were all running to. On top
of each model was a nickle standing up on edge, and everything was running so smooth that the nickels never moved. Some guy said they were glued down, so
John Burns reached down and picked one up. I took a picture , but don't know
where its at now. Sure was neat!!

Matthew Guy Clarke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/23/2019

thanks Jim, I well remember the nickels. Makes me wonder where time has gone. I found a couple of the kits, the Reid , it has 14" flywheels has some problems with the cylinder. I was hoping there would be new castings some where. It sounds like no one knows anything. I tried all the numbers and emails stated in the other searches of these kits and none work.

Kirk Taylor

Registered

thanks Jim, I well remember the nickels. Makes me wonder where time has gone. I found a couple of the kits, the Reid , it has 14" flywheels has some problems with the cylinder. I was hoping there would be new castings some where. It sounds like no one knows anything. I tried all the numbers and emails stated in the other searches of these kits and none work.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I believe the patterns and remaining castings for the Reid models and the Bessemer models were sold to a gentleman in Michigan. That person has since passed away. The status of the model stuff is presently unknown. I, myself, would like to have a set of castings for the Bessemer model, however they too are rare if not non-existent.

Kirk

Jamesk815

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
09/29/2017
Kirk
Years ago Brad Smith did a great article on building the Reid in Model Tech mag. The Bessemer kit never had a Bessemer tag on it, because they were still in business
and permission to use there name needed to be gotten. Brad said he would only build one if it had the Bessemer tag.
I wonder if John Burns has any info, he is on here once in a while.