• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

10 hp Russell

Reeves13hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2016
The Lathrop Missouri antique show acquired a 10 hp Russell a couple years back and choose to have me and my dad restore the engine for them so we started the disassembly today thought we would share some pictures along the way

Attachments

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
What restoration needs does it have?

A 10 hp Russell would be fun to have...:O

Thanks
Beth

Reeves13hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2016
What restoration needs does it have?

A 10 hp Russell would be fun to have...:O

Thanks
Beth
well this russell is s/n 9713 . built 1900? is there a year list?
the engine frame is stamped 71/4x10 . the history on the engine is its always been in north west Mo. dont know all the owners the lathrope club bought it from terry equipment Galliton MO. had some boiler work years back. crown sheet replaced by going through the wagon top. front flue sheet pad welded. we are going to remove the flues and steam clean the inside . some one has poured oil in the boiler. sandblast the out side and ultra sound and see what we have!.

the rest will be sand blasted ,rebuilt and painted then assembled. does anyone have drawings on the water tanks?

we will post pictures as we go. David

Thomas Diehl

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2013
David: 9713 would have been built in 1900 . And from past experience(30 in Machinery rebuilt and 25 years rebuilding Russells, please do yourslf a big favor and get wood blocking under that front end., please !!!!-----------------TWD

Thomas Diehl

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2013
David:
If your engine is native to that NW area of Mo. mose likely she was sold new by G.O.Richardson Machinery Co. of St. Joseph,Mo. My 6hp Russell traction came from Watson ,Mo . Was sold new there and stay on the original farm till 1948. As has been said before(on Smokestak), the well worn cast wheels are well documented as being a Missouri characteristic Presently have a set of cast iron wheels for a traction engine that came from the Mo. area , in my shop ,that we are building new rear wheels for.
Nice project,look forward to your progress !!! -------------------------------TWD

Reeves13hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2016
well we steam cleaned the boiler inside and out. the ultrasound was performed. the results are not good. the barrel is full of pits the readings are .310 to .140. the wagon top and bottom .360 to .210. rear flue sheet .410 to .218 a lot of wastage at grate area. rear head and inside sheet has lots of wastage at draft hole readings .120.

with this boiler having unsatifactory repairs to crownsheet and cutting the the wagon top out to repair it. the inside bottom of fire box bulged and stays welded over. front flue sheet bubble gumed. the dome looks good!

we need a boiler. a used one with a few repairs or a new one!
I placed a want ad in enginads. thanks David

Reeves13hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2016
Update:

The Russell recieved a New R stamp boiler by reusing the dome. It also recieved a complete restoration which is nearing first fire up hopefully this week!!!

Attachments

Well done there guys and look forward to seeing that engine. Those rears with paint look as smooth as a babies backend.

Keep up the good work,
Wendell

cyberbadger

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Very good looking and sounds nice.

It took me a few seconds to understand the trick you were doing to induce a load and get the governor to do it's job.

Was that just a long wooden beam pressing against the flywheel?

-CB

Reeves13hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2016
CB
Yes a white oak 2x6 placed over the rear wheel and apply pressure.
you can put put the engine under load to check governor response and engine bearings.
The Russell will be delivered to Lathrop Mo this week. there show is
June 19-22.
David