• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

10 inch Rider Hot Air Compression, help wanted.

benz1890

Registered
Last Subscription Date
Mike White
I have just bought a 10" Rider compression engine and I'm looking for a little help.
Firstly does anyone have any good pictures/illustrations I can have a look at. I need this as the engine is currently in pieces and I need to ascertain what is missing.
Secondly, I do know that the makers plate and import plate ( Australia) are missing...does anyone have copies I can purchase. The light bulb shaped brass air vessel is also missing,does anyone have one?
Thirdly where else except the makers plate would I find the engine number?
Many thanks for your interest,
Mike.

Attachments

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013
Re: 10" Rider Compression, help wanted.

Lee Pederson has cast reproduction expansion chambers. He runs ads in Gas Engine Magazine and perhaps else where. I am sure you can scrounge up and old back issue to get his contact information. I would guess he could ship to england and another assumption is that he has something that will fit your pipe size or you can make it work.

Lee also offer a reprint of an 1887 booklet on the Rider Engine.

I see lee is listed here under harrys ponsor:
http://www.enginads.com/bizcards.shtml

I do not see the hot air engine expansion chambers listed, so you will still have to contact him for those.

Last edited:

Rob Skinner

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/14/2011

Hi, Mike.

We'll be showing our 8" Rider-Ericsson Improved this coming weekend, so it would be an opportune time to take external pictures that you might need. I also have some rough pictures that show the insides of the engine. Our engine has the original tag, but it's an American engine. But if you need a photo or rubbing, it wouldn't be a problem.

benz1890

Registered
Last Subscription Date
Mike White

Have a look at these photos that I took last month at the Winfield Show, in Kansas USA.
Is this what you have?
That's right, this is what I have.
I just collected it today, so far I can see I'm missing; the fire door, one big end assembly, the makers plates, the top from the regenerator plates the pump expansion vessels and three oilers
Mike

QuickJ

Registered

Thank you, I enjoyed viewing your entire photo album on PhotoBucket.
That baby Benz is very nice.

I did take several Pictures of the 10" rider, and the originals are large files, and can possibly be of assistance in your restoration. Let me know if you want me to e-mail them to you.

Buster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2020

Mike I have been out of town and just found this post I may be able to help you on some of your problems. What do you think you are short for your engine ??? Where the regenerater plate go is there 3 sets in there and are they all tight together??? On the side of engine where the name plates go how many screw holes are there and how far apart ??? also the seial number may be next to mating serface where the top goes on regenerater plates Look front and back for 5 didget number stamped. also do you have any info where the engine was used in australia???? Email me if you wish I may be able to help you Buster Brown

Rob Skinner

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/14/2011

That's a pretty HT, Mike. I've only seen one of the two known in the United States. It's interesting to see the improvements on that engine, over the Rider style with which I'm more familiar.

The artwork I was thinking of his here:
http://www.rustyiron.com/engines/rider

I don't remember exacltly where that drawing came from, other than from a book on the shelf. If you want to have a gander at Dick's Hayward Tyler, I think this URL will get you there:
http://engines.rustyiron.com/CalPoly09/Cal_Poly_Pomona_2009/CalPoly09.html#0

benz1890

Registered
Last Subscription Date
Mike White

Thank you, I enjoyed viewing your entire photo album on PhotoBucket.
That baby Benz is very nice.

I did take several Pictures of the 10" rider, and the originals are large files, and can possibly be of assistance in your restoration. Let me know if you want me to e-mail them to you.
Some photos would be great.
many thanks, Mike

benz1890

Registered
Last Subscription Date
Mike White

Mike I have been out of town and just found this post I may be able to help you on some of your problems. What do you think you are short for your engine ??? Where the regenerater plate go is there 3 sets in there and are they all tight together??? On the side of engine where the name plates go how many screw holes are there and how far apart ??? also the seial number may be next to mating serface where the top goes on regenerater plates Look front and back for 5 didget number stamped. also do you have any info where the engine was used in australia???? Email me if you wish I may be able to help you Buster Brown
Hi Buster,
Thanks for your offer to help me out.
I'm having an open weekend this weekend and have loosely assembled the engine.....wow what a whopper it is!!
I will post some pics next week when I have time. I think the engine has had some changes in it's time and some pieces seem to be from different ages of engines?
The base casting has round castings for the fire box but the fire box is square but there are holes in the base to fit it???
The base has a round opening for a pipe but the pump is the square type??
I think a photo will say a thousand words.
My email: mikewhite85@hotmail.com.
Mike.

Buster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2020

mike The bottom base plate is made for round or square fire box ... The casting is in place and all holes drilled .. If you ordered a coal Burner you got the bottom half Round .. If you ordered a wood burner the bottom half was square .. They both will fit the same base .This engine was sold with 2 or 3 different pumps. One was deep well one was shallow high preasure . one was shallow high volume .. This is my way of thinking and could all be wrong . If any one has any info I would be glad if you would share it with me..... Buster Brown

Rob Skinner

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/14/2011

Specifically, Mike, what close up pics would you like? The engine is on the trailer now, and I'll be able to get some good shots tomorrow.

benz1890

Registered
Last Subscription Date
Mike White

Ah, that puts my mind at rest.....phew.
Just one thing though concerning the firebox, when assembled there is approx a 2" gap between the firebox and the main pump body. Is there a spacer ring between the two of something under the firebox?
The pump is a new casting with out any fittings to it, do you have any? Also I'm missing one big end assembly.
Mike.

benz1890

Registered
Last Subscription Date
Mike White

Hi Buster,
I've had a little look at the engine and discovered a couple of things. The engine number was where you said, it's 13890.
The holes for the plates are... the top two are 4 11/16" apart and 3 1/2" below are the bottom two and these are 3 3/4" apart.
I hope this will give you some idea of the plates needed, I'm trying to find out where in Aus it came from but this will take some tine.
Mike.

QuickJ

Registered

Here are a couple more photos of (I think) Dicks HT from the winfield show. The second photo is a close up of the instructional placard.

Attachments

Buster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2020

Mike On the space under the fire box. There is a spacer about 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 inch thick that goes in under bottom part of fire box . I may have some pictures will look for them . when this goes together. the hot cyl goes first then the top part of fire box . then the square spacer goes on the bottom . then slide in bottom of fire box on top of spacer . bolt up fire box tight .top and middle then bolts go in bottom of fire box threaded down and tight against spacer .. at this time there will be a small space between bottom of fire box and spacer . and all should be tight . I will check on tag to see if I can help Buster

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019

Hi Mike,

How are you? Trust you are keeping well.

I have attached photos of my 10" Ryder. It is not 100% complete and I am told it has the deep well pump. It is crammed in at the moment, so hard to get shots. If you need particular photos let me know.

In one of the photos you can see the change in paint colour from red to black.

Cheers Mate,
Wayne

www.bluefuel-whitesmoke.com

Attachments

benz1890

Registered
Last Subscription Date
Mike White

Hi Wayne,
How goes it old buddy, good to hear from you.
I just had an open weekend and Anton came over for the weekend, it was a good laugh!
Back to the Rider, are you saying that the engines were red but with black fire boxes? What type of red is it, a German style browny red or an Amanco type red? Is there any lining on it?
Do you have any spare parts hanging around in your vast sheds? Any chance you could cast me up a top cover plate for the regenerators :O
Say hi to Ant and Jack.
Mike