• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

10HP Fairbanks N Portable

Andrew Sine

Registered
Here is a rather unusual Fairbanks-Morse engine I would say. I pulled it from a shed southeast of Richmond, Va. the weekend before last. It had been hibernating there about 30 years or more. It doesn't appear to need much!

Attachments

MCanady

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
Re: 10HP Fairbanks N portable

Andrew - we need to hear more details on this great find! Merton

Gene Fisher

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/22/2019

Dang thing already blew the piston out, that is power at the ready.

HBurk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/04/2019

Did you ask Martin if you could have that? ;) :rolleyes: :D

Chris J

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2012

Very Nice engine, Very Lucky Find.

I cant wait to see a video of it running!

I thought that the hopper colled N's only came in 5 and 8 H.P.

Anyway, NICE engine.

Jordan

Registered

congrats on a nice find, and a really nice engine, how'd you find it? thanks for sharing.

jf

B

Bryton181

Very very nice engine!!!:d

Andrew Sine

Registered

Not much to tell really. It was pulled out of a collapsing barn back in the 70's by a collector. The family that had it were the second owners and used it to run a peanut thresher. The collector died about 15 plus years ago without ever having done anything to it except pulling the piston and getting new rings. An old friend of mine who had known the guy took me there 10 years ago so I could see it and try to get it. It just took a while thats all, eventually things change.
I also thought the 5 and 8 HP were the only hopper cooled sizes, but you can see from the tag it is definitely a 10. It has 55 inch flywheels just like a 10. One thing though the hopper has a very narrow connection to the cylinder jacket, and inside it looks like they may have done a pattern modification to a plain cylinder pattern, or something with the mold, to cast a hopper on it. I don't know anything more than that perhaps there are other large hopper cooled N's out there

Attachments

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019

Andrew, the narrow connection you talk about is similar to the way Hagan attached their hoppers. It appeared they used the tank cooled cylinder patterns and possibly had a removable attachment that made up the hopper. On Hagans it looks like they simply broke a hole through the top of the tank cooled cylinder to allow the water passage. There are only 3 Hopper Cooled Hagans and they're all like this.

Keith

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/18/2019

Tommy,
I had an 8hp N Hopper Cooled that was broken thru the same as you described for the Hagen.

Dan Crist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Andrew, We have a 10HP Fairbanks hopper cooled portable type N like yours and today checked the serial number. Is your engine #90543? Ours is #90542, which would be consecutive numbers!
Dan

Don Selmer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019

There are atleast (1) if not (2) 12 h.p. hopper-cooled F&M around. Ones at ROLLAG ( full-base ) and the other one is in Kansas.

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019

And Dan, you have bragging rights because your's is older!:) That's pretty neat and amazing that of the possible handful of 10 HP Hopper Cooled N's that survived, two have consecutive SN's. Just curious Dan, is your's a portable like Andrew's? I like portables!

Andrew Sine

Registered

Mine is 90543. I guess yours took the train west and mine took the East bound train. Do you have pictures of yours you can post here?

HBurk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/04/2019

Should one man own both these engines???? :eek: :cool:

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015

Andrew, We have a 10HP Fairbanks hopper cooled portable type N like yours and today checked the serial number. Is your engine #90543? Ours is #90542, which would be consecutive numbers!
Dan
Here are a couple photos Dan sent....... :brows:

Attachments

Brad Kelley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

I saw Andy's Fairbanks today. Boy it's a nice looking engine, and I can't wait to see it run!!

Jim Sherman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/03/2019

Now that is an extremely cool engine! I want one....:crazy: