• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

10hp IHC Titan hopper cooled

Joe P

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/29/2019
Bought this 10 hp IH Titan today and I am wondering if some one can tell me the year. sn is EL175. I also noticed the flywheels are balanced with lead in some small pockets and I dont think our other IH engines are balanced that way? Also I need a few parts, rain cap off the pipe on the carb, butterfly linkage and arm, muffler, fuel pump linkage etc. Thanks for any info.

Attachments

Gene Fisher

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/22/2019
Re: 10hp Titan

Joe, wendels notebook shows that engine built in 1914 and says it was a kerosene burner.

Wayne H. Olson

Registered
Bought this 10 hp IH Titan today and I am wondering if some one can tell me the year. sn is EL175. I also noticed the flywheels are balanced with lead in some small pockets and I dont think our other IH engines are balanced that way? Also I need a few parts, rain cap off the pipe on the carb, butterfly linkage and arm, muffler, fuel pump linkage etc. Thanks for any info.
Joe, Looks like you have your hands full,give me a call Wayne CROSBY, ND 701-651-0929

Al Wait

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/21/2014
I had a 1914 6 HP Titan that also had pockets cast in the flywheels, with lead in the appropriate ones. It is kosher. Al Wait

Bundy Bear

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/12/2014
I have a 4hp hopper cooled Famous and it is the same with pockets with a little lead where needed.
Lance:)

EngineGuru

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/26/2010
Hi Joe, I see your engine is missing most of the friction clutch pulleyin the picture, do you have the rest of the pulley?

Joe P

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/29/2019
That is all i got as far as the clutch, i guess if i ran across one or even just the pully i would cast the small parts from our 10hp famous.

Joe P

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/29/2019
I took inventory of what i got and as far as what i need for patterns is the arm that runs the butterfly on the head and the rain cap off of the stand pipe on the carb if anyone knows of someone who would cast those for me please let me know. I have a muffler elbow off of a 10hp tank cooled famous i can use but i am not sure if they would be the same or if the hopper cooled is offset? I will use the fuel pump linkage and the ignighter ramp from the famous for casting patterns as those look correct. The other part i am missing is the air preheater casting on the exhaust but i thik i will fab that out of steel due to having to core. Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe P

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/29/2019
Can one of the ih guru's tell me if the intake valve guide is threaded in or pressed in? My guess is threaded due to the fact it has slots for some sort of wrench? Thanks

EngineGuru

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/26/2010
Hi Joe, the exhaust elbow from your famous really won't work for the titan, because the tian is throttle governed with the air preheater. The elbow for the famous is shorter, and you won't have enough clearance for the preheater pipe to go between the muffler. I know this from experience, because I tried using one from a famous.

Joe P

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/29/2019
I had the correct exhaust elbow cast from a titan so i should be in good shape that way, what i have left to locate or fabricate is the preheater, intake valve (2 5/8 head), needle valves, piston rings etc. I also need to cast up a new exhaust valve guide from the chunks i have. Hope to have it all put together for the ihc expo in albany mn this year

Bert Juffer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Hi,
now I could be wrong,but is the head of a hit&miss type Famous?
Don't see a shaft for the throttle control,it doesn't have the valve rocker support with the dash pot and it has the lever that puts extra tension on the intake valve spring like a hit&miss.Also I don't see a raised area above the carburettor where the water is piped to the carburettor.
But then again,I could be wrong.....:crazy:

Bert:wave:

Joe P

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/29/2019
Good eye bert, it is a famous head and i need to machine a spot for the throttle butterfly but i doubt anyone has a titan head they would like to sell or trade me for this one.

EngineGuru

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/26/2010
Hi Joe, my 10 hp Titan had real bad valves. I took the head into my local engine rebuilding shop and asked if they had any old valves that would work. This is oil country, so they got a pair of old valves from I believe a C106 arrow engine, and they worked great for me. Only difference is the arrow valves aren't threaded like the intake valve should be, for adjusting spring tension, but for $70 had a good set of valves, and ground that seat real good.

Joe P

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/29/2019
Anyone have an idea if the intake guide is pressed or threaded in??

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
Hi Joe, Your intake guide is threaded in. right hand threads. Can be tough to get unstuck.You may need the hot wrench to get it loose. Rob

Joe P

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/29/2019
Thanks Rob, I think I will laser cut a wrench and apply some heat and see what happens. If it looks like I am going to make pcs I will ream it in place.