• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

12 volt On-Board Compressor for my Pick-Up Truck?

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2019
I'm buying an "Air/Lift" 5000 rear suspension helper for my 2002 F-250 4x4.
I'm looking for some sort of 12v on-board air compressor / tank .... to also use for air supply for airing up tires or such.
Not at all interested in the little $20 Cig lighter compressors.
Anyone have any suggestions?

I've thought about mounting one of these in the bed ( I have a "Cap" & 100 gal fuel tank & a ton of tools in there)
This "Harbor Fright" Jigger requires 2.6 amp / 120v ... & I'm thinking a little 1000 watt inverter would run it .... yes .. no ?

Thanks

Attachments

ulgydog56

Registered
Re: 12 volt On-Board Compressor for my Pick-Up Truck ?

well, 746 watts = 1 horse power if you know the motor h.p. you'll be good to go...:D

h

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Re: 12 volt On-Board Compressor for my Pick-Up Truck ?

Many years ago I picked up a decent Taiwanese compressor for a motor home. It was direct drive, 1800 rpm, 1/2 hp. It worked really well, and wasn’t obnoxiously loud. I think it said Puma on the side of it? Took maybe 35 - 40 amps.

Keith

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010
A buddy used his non working ac pump. Plumed it to accept an air fitting, small air tank under the hood and a toggle switch to activate the pump. Worked pretty good for pumping up tires on the go. He would dribble some oil in the intake before use, and had a drain valve on the tank for removing excess oil.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
Underhood compressors like Grub mentioned... and good conversions use the reciever and a siphon tube to capture and recirculate lubricant back to the intake. The York compressor used on 70's Chrysler products was a great underhood compressor too. One can also adapt a small compressor head to an electric clutch, they work great...

I kinda doubt the OP is willing to nix his factory AC for a compressor...

The guys that make air suspension components, particularly for RVs 'n stuff... they offer small electric compressors specifically for situations like this...

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
I have used several AC air copressors over the years. The best was the GM 6 cylinder, used in the 1960s and 70s. Fast air build, low maintainance. i used mine to run air tools and to blow up tires. 125 PSI all day. A switch under the dash activated a relay that supplied power (30 amp) to the compressor clutch thru a pressure switch set at 125 PSI. I used an air reservoir off a semi for an air tank, and a regulater from an old air compressor. Just gave it a shot of oil now and then from an oil can to keep it happy. Used a V belt from the engine crank. The air reservoir was about a 20 gallon tank and it only took about a minute for the 6 cylinder to get it from 0 to 125 PSI before shut off. A 1968 GM anti backfire selenoid was used to raise the idle when making air. Except for the compressor pressure switch, all junk yard parts cost less than $100! I also used a 2 piston ford compressor. Worked OK but took a while to build air. If you dont want to mount under the hood, find a truck stop or fire truck maintainance outfit and ask about an air brake make up compressor. uses the dc from the truck . It is NOT one of the cheapie compressors, it is made for long service.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Glenn, that does look familiar. I couldn’t find the speed on this one though. I like to know so I know what I’m getting myself into, noise wise, lol. This one may be faster being 3/4 instead of 1/2 hp.

Have also seen the A/C compressor versions. When I was a kid I put a fixed pulley on a Frigidaire A6, and drove it with a starter generator from a ‘20’s Dodge. It worked great! :D

Keith

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
I have an air horn on my truck. I’m using a ‘top of the line’ Harbor Freight 12V compressor. Comes with a 30A fuse, a switch and a thermal cut-off in the plastic cover on the end of the motor. Took all of that off. Claims max 150 psi. I picked up an aluminum scuba tank at a flea market. Cheap! Since it is laying horizontal I drilled and tapped a condensation drain in what is now the bottom and installed a drain valve. Tank has 1” thick walls. Built a box to contain it all and installed it up against the front end of the bed. Truck has a camper shell on it. Check valve, pressure switch and unloader all came from a dead portable contractor compressor. Added the small twin tanks from that compressor for added volume. Got a continuous duty heavy solenoid switch from SurplusCenter.com. Have a fan pulling air through the box and over the compressor when it is running. Set to turn on at 80 psi and off at 115. Tapped into a 50A fused accessory circuit in the fuse box under the hood. I get a couple of years out of the compressor. $69.99 list price, but I wait for a 25% off coupon and that brings it down to around $55 with tax.
Only problem I have is if I forget and turn it off before it is full and the unloader doesn’t get a chance to open, it will blow the fuse if I try to restart it under pressure. I have a panel on the dash with a pressure gauge and a master switch so I can control when it runs. The red indicator light is on when the compressor is running so I can know when it shuts itself off.

Attachments

Last edited:

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2019
Thanks for the suggestions guys ..... but no way in hell I'm givin up my AC :D

And you other nice fellas that are suggesting adding another compressor under the hood ..... well .... you've never looked under the hood of a 2002 7.3 turbo F-250.

There aint room to mount a tiny electric horn under this hood :shrug:

As of right now ... the Puma is looking good .... or the 120 volt Harbor Fright compressor w/ 1000 watt inverter (or bigger) is promising. That would also give me a source to charge my power tool batteries.

I do thank you all for the suggestions ... they are all good ... if I had room.