• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

1200 RPM, 30 kW, Caterpillar Generator Set

Wayne 440

Registered
There must be some mysterious force that moves all that good old Caterpillar stuff far away from my place.

Wayne 440

Registered
I am aware of the pitfalls of taking in of "cats" of both organic and metallic composition. I chased after an old 2 valve 3306 powered set for some time locally before finally giving up. Like their organic counterparts, if I'm destined to have one, our paths will cross at the right time. But still...:headbang:

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Man, if I could I would totally go after that one. I've tried to get a friend interested, but not likely. :shrug: Funny, he has like 8 or 9 of the organic variety. :crazy: :D But, like me, when it comes to diesels, he's also a Detroit guy. :brows:

Wayne 440

Registered
I will probably upset both sides, but I would be perfectly happy with either brand. A old Cat or Detroit powered 30-50kW+ would suit me just fine. Both are free of "emission controls" (AKA expensive complications), are known for relatively trouble free service and when they say X number of horsepower, you get that or more.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Oh, not upset at all. I like anything old lol. Detroits might be my favorite, but that old NH Cummins in my bus is sweet runner, and I'd love to have that antique Cat. :D

snowshoveler

Registered
I have the same set.
Its a 46-30. Has a Louis Allis gen head on it.
pretty quiet at just 1200 rpm and fuel efficient too even with those coffee can sized pistons.
Regards Chris

Ken Karrow

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
When I was just a pup, dad took me to a traveling carnival and was surprised when I wasn't interested in the rides but wanted to listen to the festival's generator. Dad said it was Cat powered. It was mounted on a GMC truck and was a fairly heavy truck, heavier than farm trucks of the time. Was fascinated by the sound and how the sound change as some of the rides started. Old Cat never sounded bad, just got a little louder when some of the rides started. A bunch of rides and enough lights so that a whole city block was like day time. Cables as nearly as big as my arm running every where (my arms weren't very big, I was about 8). Would love to relive that day. About 1954.

MSchreiber

Subscriber
Carnival trucks.... somewhere i got photos of a cat genset on the back of a truck. Its internal combustion engine removed and a big electric motor under the hood 4 propulsion. neat as hell!:salute:

Wayne 440

Registered
When I was just a pup, dad took me to a traveling carnival and was surprised when I wasn't interested in the rides but wanted to listen to the festival's generator....Would love to relive that day...
I know exactly what you mean. The first generator I remember seeing was a 6 cylinder Caterpillar, mounted in a pup trailer. One side opened to form an awning; they had the inside lit up (maybe to display the set it looked brand new) and the volt, current and reed type frequency meters were easily visible. I remember the sound of that set and response of the meters when it picked up a load just like it was yesterday. I realize now that could be why I chased that 3306 for so long.

cornbinder89

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/11/2020
I will probably upset both sides, but I would be perfectly happy with either brand. A old Cat or Detroit powered 30-50kW+ would suit me just fine. Both are free of "emission controls" (AKA expensive complications), are known for relatively trouble free service and when they say X number of horsepower, you get that or more.
Not quite the same but still along the same lines, I fell into a Buda powered 62.5KVA set that I just couldn't pass on. Mine is gasoline, that I keep telling myself I will change over to LP one of these days. Never really get a chance to put any kind of serious load on it, Anything I connect to it, it can handle with ease. Only gave $600 for it, had a replacement engine in the early 60's and very low hours since then.

Wayne 440

Registered
Gasoline (or at least what they sell as "gasoline") is one of the most widely available fuels in the USA. There is probably little point in changing it unless you just want something to do.