• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

15 HP Reid, new toy and questions

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
Thanks guys, I will keep the thread updated as we get the clutch finished up and some other small things.

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
Only thing we don't have down is starting on propane..
We tried a bunch and nothing, not even a pop

We prime and start on gas then switch over to propane and it takes right off.

Who has a good recipie for starting on propane??

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I even have to start the 40 at Rollag primed on gasoline. I guess that is just how I saw it done the first time so continued to do so. I will have to figure that out this summer.

hitnmis Alex

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/23/2019
i even have to start the 40 at rollag primed on gasoline. I guess that is just how i saw it done the first time so continued to do so. I will have to figure that out this summer.
i start my 20 on brake clean, dont feel bad.

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
Sounds good guys, I might just put a tee above the transfer valve like joel did and put the sparkplug in the side of the tee, and a priming cup in the top.
That way I wont have to take plug out every time we prime it to start.

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I just squirt the gasoline into the intake from a pop bottle. It doesn't take much! But we start the 40 on compressed air. You will have to come out sometime over the summer and I can show you what I do to it exactly. It is kind of quirky.

Ellis Wellman

Registered
Propane gas is rich.Begin with a small amount of gas-a soon as the engine fires-open the gas feed to running position(which you should know as youve' successfully run on propane.

Luke Wagner

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
I have a 25 reid i start all the time on propane it start's real quick when i shut the engine off i turn off the bottle off leaving the fuel setings alone . When starting maby richen it up a little not to much it will flood quick on propane.

Bob Houk

Registered
When stating on propane once you have the gas set were it runs right. Just open up the air a little to start it mess with air only when starting not the gas.

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
thanks guys, when its a bit nicer we will try the suggestions and see what happens.

JSWithers

Registered
i start my 20 on brake clean, dont feel bad.
Chances are it's not actually starting on the chemical in the brake clean unless your using a non-chlorinated version that has acetone in it. Most have trichloroethylene or perchloroethylene as the cleaner which is not flammable. Almost all use use propane as a propellant now.

Carb spray actually makes a really good starting fluid.

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
Can someone post some good pictures of a Reid governor.
I have parts of an old steam governer and was wondering if I could fab up something that would look similar to the original and bolt it on there just for looks.
thanks

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
So we got the clutch all back together and adjusted.
I got some refractory lining blanket to put in the chimney.
Other than that I think we are pretty much done with this thing so not much will happen till summer and we fire it up again.

My brother and co owner wants to paint it but I don't, So we haven't reached a conclusion on that yet :O

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Dustin, if you ever do some major work on the engine,, lay the cylinder on its side, gouge down and take the piston out, clean the gouge well and de-grease thoroughly. Cut a piece of wood and make a section that fits the side of the bore on the cylinder. Mix some JB weld and fill in the gouge, wiping the bore with the wood shape should pretty well fill in the gouge. You may want to do this twice, to make sure the gouge is thoroughly filled in. placing some 120 grit sandpaper on another piece of wood shaped to the cylinder bore, sand off any excess JB. This will fix most compression problems, and as long as water is in the engine, the JB should stay put.

I have done this repair on several large bore engines, and it has worked well.
Andrew

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
So does anyone have tips for,tuning this thing.
When we are just running by controlling the air and fuel it seems hard to find a spot where we can leave it alone.

Best we have got is maybe 8 minutes befor it would either slowly die off or keep gaining speed.
How do we find the medium where it just runs without constant attention.
I see videos all the time of Reid's without a governor running happily for long times.

Any hints on getting her to settle down.
Thanks

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Dustin, the best advice I can give is patience. On the 40, it took me the better of 2 days to get it running so nice and then bam there it is speeding up and you want to throw something at it. Never do, but thought about it. Very light taps on the gas valve and remember it may take a few min for an adjustment to take full effect.

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
Jeremy thanks.
This was only the second time we ran the engine for a reasonable amount of time since we bought it.
Just trying to adjust just the air or just the gas seemed to give finer control.

Just when we thought we finally had it we left it alone for about 8 minutes and it would do a slow sign wave of faster and slower but seemed to hold on, but then it just started dying and we had to intervene.

I've seen people run them with wide open air and just cut fuel back so it only fires once in a while then leans out for a few cycles but I like the sound of steady thumping better.

I do understand that it is pretty much gonna 4 cycle if we run it on the tube, maybe that would keep it steadier.

With more practice maybe it will get easier