• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

16hp Allan "Portable" oil engine #1405 restoration

Gavin Organ

Registered
Restoration of this engine has been covered to date on a Facebook group I run dedicated to Allan engines, but thought others on here might take an interest also.
Quick bit of history on #1405 from what I know.. As far back as can be traced it came from a museum in Moe Vic, not too sure if it closed down or they just sold it but it went to a chap in the Grampians in Vic who put it in a shed for about 20 years until I purchased the engine.
Unfortunately due to the high humidity in the area where the engine was stored, the shed did keep the rain off it, but the tin work had suffered significant amount of corrosion..
The vaporiser and air intake is completely missing will all need to be re-cast.. this is another story within it self, as finding another donor engine for parts to be copied is certainly a needle in a haystack type scenario, and will be covered when I get to that stage.
Hope you find the progress photos of some interest.
Also if anyone has any Allan parts or engines they would consider parting with I'd be happy to hear from them..
The first photos are as it arrived home in Qld from Vic

Attachments

Gavin Organ

Registered
Restoration begins!! The corrosion evident in the chassis rails.. Rust was bulging between the chassis and the muffler that sits in between, and was actually spreading the chassis rails to the extent the hold down bolts on the crankcase were at risk of cracking the casting.

Attachments

Gavin Organ

Registered
Btm tank repairs and fitted.. had to cut a section out of the btm of the tank rand re-solder a patch in as well as solder up numerous pin holes. new suction pipe had to be re-made

Attachments

Darryl

Registered
A 16 hp Allan was sold at the Red Hill auction about 10 years ago. It was a portable also. I know the bloke who bought it and he recently sold it but could give you his contact details if you want find out who’s got it now, but I better ask him first so let me know.

Gavin Organ

Registered
A 16 hp Allan was sold at the Red Hill auction about 10 years ago. It was a portable also. I know the bloke who bought it and he recently sold it but could give you his contact details if you want find out who’s got it now, but I better ask him first so let me know.
Thanks Darryl, I know the engine.. It is a std base "Bagshaw" portable not an original Allan portable.. it also now resides in my collection.. a very rare engine as well!

Darryl

Registered
Thanks Darryl, I know the engine.. It is a std base "Bagshaw" portable not an original Allan portable.. it also now resides in my collection.. a very rare engine as well!
Thought it may have been different, been a while but, did it only have one flywheel ?

freshieslures

Registered
Hi Gavin,
Great restoration of a nice engine, just wondering what you used to blast the paint off and leave the filler underneath. Looking forward to seeing it run.
Cheers Justin