• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

175 HP Otto at Coolspring Power Museum

Chris Austin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2018
Hi everyone,

I thought everyone might enjoy some pictures on the progress on the big 175 HP Otto at Coolspring. On the weekend of the 14th the pump side flywheel was put on the engine,and on Saturday the 21st the sideshaft side flywheel was put on. And on Sunday the 22nd the hard working Coolspring crew put the exhaust valve back in the engine, and then rolled it on air to check things over. Then the gas was turned on and away she went! The first time it has run in nearly fourty years! The next steps will be to clean, inspect,and install the Worthington triplex pump.
What a beauty. A very big THANK YOU to all who have helped with this project. Enjoy.

Attachments

Tom Weatherford

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/27/2016
Been trying to keep up with the progress of this project. Doc. has a beautiful engine here. Can't wait till Oct to see her run. Great job!! Wish I lived closer.
Tom in Virginia

Jonathan Widelo

Registered
Last time I saw this engine, the base had just been mounted and the piston and rod were lying next to the engine. It's great to see progress has been made and that the engine runs now. I am hoping to make it back to Coolspring next June.
~ Jonathan

Keven Withers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
Thanks for the update Chris. We will look forward to seeing it in October. Keven

Don C. Wiley

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
03/08/2010
Chris;

Thanks for the pictures. It's a good feeling to know some one is preserving the "LARGE" engines, that us individuals can't afford, can't handle and don't have room to keep them inside.

Keep up the good work so kids of today will be able to enjoy their ancestor's way of living and the machines that made things work "back then".

I haven't been to the Coolspring facility, but would like to make it some day. Maybe when my "ship" comes in I, can afford to make the trip from Southern Illinois. It might be good if I were to launch my ship first, so it can come in.

I have a friend who has a 10 HP Otto and it's sure a nice smooth running engine.

Many THANKS! to all the volunteers who work there for their hard work and dedication to preserving "OUR" past.

"DELCO DON" :p ;) :) Southern Illinois :wave:

Nate S

Registered
Those are some great pictures cris its kinda weird to see myself in them though. Ben got a video of it running on his camera also.

Chris Austin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2018
You look weird in person Nate!:crazy: :D Well we're just going to have to get ahold of ol Ben. I think he is internet-less right now?:rant: I'll see if I can get that video from him somehow.

Preston Foster

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
03/26/2010
Hi everyone,

I thought everyone might enjoy some pictures on the progress on the big 175 HP Otto at Coolspring. On the weekend of the 14th the pump side flywheel was put on the engine,and on Saturday the 21st the sideshaft side flywheel was put on. And on Sunday the 22nd the hard working Coolspring crew put the exhaust valve back in the engine, and then rolled it on air to check things over. Then the gas was turned on and away she went! The first time it has run in nearly fourty years! The next steps will be to clean, inspect,and install the Worthington triplex pump.
What a beauty. A very big THANK YOU to all who have helped with this project. Enjoy.
Additional photos to better give an idea of the size of this engine and the magnitude of the work neede to assemble and make it run!

Attachments

Marty Riffle

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/14/2019
Projects like this come to life only with the DEDICATED VOLUNTEERS that CPM has. I for one say A BIG THANK YOU !!!!! Marty

Chris Austin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2018
Here is a link to some more Photos of the Otto. http://www.coolspringpowermuseum.org/175_hp_otto.htm
Also some specs on the engine. It has a 21" bore and a 30" stroke rated at 175HP at 190 RPM. It is one of two of the "1912" model Ottos known, the other is Withers 50 HP. It was installed at Brookville water works in 1925 and ran till the mid 40's when the two twin Bessemers were installed. It was removed by John Wilcox in 1968. There was also at one time at the Brookville water works a 50HP type B Springfield,and a 80HP Otto:eek:. According to the catolog it weighs 49,000 lbs. The flywheels are 9'1" in dia., and weigh 9,000lbs each. The crankshaft weighs in around 4 1/2 tons and the piston and connecting rod weigh 1 ton.

CPM website http://www.coolspringpowermuseum.org/

Chris

Chris;

Thanks for the pictures. It's a good feeling to know some one is preserving the "LARGE" engines, that us individuals can't afford, can't handle and don't have room to keep them inside.

Keep up the good work so kids of today will be able to enjoy their ancestor's way of living and the machines that made things work "back then".

I haven't been to the Coolspring facility, but would like to make it some day. Maybe when my "ship" comes in I, can afford to make the trip from Southern Illinois. It might be good if I were to launch my ship first, so it can come in.

I have a friend who has a 10 HP Otto and it's sure a nice smooth running engine.

Many THANKS! to all the volunteers who work there for their hard work and dedication to preserving "OUR" past.

"DELCO DON" :p ;) :) Southern Illinois :wave:
Hi, If I can make it from southeast Wisconsin you should be able to make the trip!!! Hit-n-miss 166922

James L Johnson

Registered
Looking forward to seeing the engine run in October, This is a great acomplishment to preserve and get this engine running.
Congradulitions Doc Harvey and crew.
Jim out West :)