1865 16" Putnam Machine Makers Lathe

CodyS

I just joined this site and very excited to be part of this communty!
I have an 1865 16" Putnam Machine Makers Lathe, serial#6. I have every part for it except for the Putnam nameplate. Does anyone have a Putnam lathe they could take a very close up and clear picture of it and share? I want to digitize it and try to make a new nameplate. This lathe is so beautiful and i want to make it complete. Im restoring it to run in a steam powered lineshaft shop.
Also if anyone has any pictures or any information at all about the lathe I would love to hear about it.
thank you,
Cody

Bill Hazzard

Cody, welcome to the forum. We would like to see photos of your lathe. I have a picture of a Putnam name plate that might be correct for your lathe although it is not a great photo. Your lathe is not serial number 6 though. Early machines were not serial numbered, they were numbered in batches that were being made at the same time so your lathe is number 6 out of a batch of identical lathes. They were marked so parts that were fit together were not mixed up with others from another lathe.

I have made some investment cast name plates in the past and they turned out great. I 3D modeled the plate and was able to send a file to the foundry where they 3D printed a wax core for the casting.

Attachments

CodyS

Thank you Bill for the welcome and the great information. That really clears up the "serial" number as i was doubtful it was that early in the series. I cannot access the lathe at the moment to get good enough pictures to post so we can see if anyone can help date the lathe. Once I get it out in an area to photograph I will post the pictures.
When you made the other nameplates, did you have one to measure so you could model it or did you estimate from a picture?
I can build a model from existing plates but i would need some rough dimensions.

Bill Hazzard

If there are screw holes in your headstock I get an approximation of the tag dimensions. I am sure that someone on the Practical Machinist forum would be able to measure a tag and get a better photo as well.