• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

1882 Edison "Long legged Mary Ann" dynamo

mechman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/10/2019
Goodday all. I thought you may enjoy some photos of my latest find--the above named dynamo. This is the first practical type made by Edison-it was made in May 1882 (type "Z" serial #295)at the Edison machine works in New York city. This model was made for a short time as they discovered it could be made much shorter by 1883, This is possibly the finest example with original paint--something the Henry Ford & the Smithsonian had not seen when I sent them photos! I had it dated by Rutgers university --they have Edisons papers from that time period. Mary Ann is at the Coolspring Power museum at the moment & stored in the heated & "varment proof" Susung building-Thanks Dr. Harvey! Larry Healey Campbellford,Ont.

Note It has not been cleaned up or messy wiring made neat as yet!Larry

Attachments

Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Larry,

Thanks for sharing this historical piece for everyone to see! I have a number of Edison Dynamos and would love to have one like this...