• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

18kw 1800rpm Liquid Cooled Generac

1936JDB

Registered
This thing turned up on craigslist local to me. Seller says he bought it not running and found the high temp switch was bad preventing it from starting. He replaced it, and now it runs but doesn't generate. Wants $600, generator in enclosure only, no switch... I need it like a hole in the head, but it's tempting me. Talk some sense into me please before I drag home more crap. :bonk:

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
Our experience has been less than stellar. It has a timing belt most likely and interference engine. Among other issues.

1936JDB

Registered
I haven't seen many of their 1800rpm models, but it seems like they were using fiat motors? Europeans using timing belts wouldn't surprise me.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
If I have this right, first they used Nissan, some of which had a timing belt and some of which didn't. Then they switched to Turkish Fiat which had timing belt and parts support is terrible. At some point they went to Mitsubishi which also have a timing belt.