1910 IHC Model F Roadster Restoration

LeRoy IHC

Subscriber
Hello Everyone

I don't usually visit the car & truck forum, but I have decided
to start a thread showing the restoration of my 1910 IHC Model F roadster. A total of 418 of these roadsters were built in 1910 and 1911. IHC had been building their famous highwheelers for
a couple of years when they decided to get in to the car business. the cars they built were expensive ( model F $1000.00 ) and not many farmers could afford an IHC when a Ford could be had for less than 1/2 the price of IHC.

I purchased the car on ebay from an estate sale in 2006. the man that owned it had acquired the car from another collector that had given up on it. In fact I have talked to 5 of the previous owners going back to the late 1950,s. In the pictures the car is basically just hanging together and not running or driveable.

I will be posting more pictures of this project as time permits.

Thanks

LeRoy Baumgardner

Attachments

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
That is a really neat engine. I would love to see it running in person. IHC built some really neat stuff in the early days. Good luck and have fun with your project, it is a very worthwhile endeavor.

Dwayne

Dan Baalman

Subscriber
Were these engines built by Lycoming? Same builder that made a lot of aircraft engines? I know some early IHC trucks had Lycoming engines.

LeRoy IHC

Subscriber
Hi Everyone

Just giving this thread a bump. We're getting back on the restoration of this car and the motor will be heading out to Wendell Kelch for restoration in the next couple of weeks.

Happy Thanksgiving

LeRoy :wave:

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
It'll get done Right there.

Don't know how I missed this thread when it first started, but That is a beautiful looking automobile.

LOVE the engine in it.:cool:

:salute:

LeRoy IHC

Subscriber
Hello Everyone

I hope to show in this thread the restoration of this car and also
how badly this car was misrepresented to the several owners that owned the car before I bought it on E bay . This car was assembled sometime in the 1960's by a fellow ( whom I'll not mention by name ) I have pictures of the engine sitting at John Tysse's yard. back then. The car passed through 4 more owner's after the first owner patched it up to make it roll on 4 wheels I have no ill feelings toward any of these men as they all contributed something to preserve the car and also it must be remembered back in the 60's cars were not restored to the level they are today. I have talked to all the previous owners and all were willing to tell me something about the car's history. I wish the first gentleman would have been willing to share more information, but I suspect he is a bit embaressed by all the problems that have surfaced, because he is a well known collector in Brass Era cars.

One of the first things that needed addressed was the wheels
in the first picture is one of the wheels as it came off the car.
2nd picture shows how body putty and strips of wood were forced between the wood fellow and the rim 3rd picture shows
wood shims glued to the inside of the wheel hub. the 4 th picture shows the new wheels I had made. One needs to keep in mind, none of the owners before me ever had the car running
as there were parts missing from the engine which I made foundry patterns and cast the required parts. So the car was only ever pushed around in the shop or storage building. I firmly believe after the 1 St owner in the 1960's none of the following owners knew about this car's hidden problems.

In the following months I hope to show how all the problems
have been addressed. My target to finish the restoration is to be able to show the car at the 2016 Amelia Island Con'cores.

Attachments

LeRoy IHC

Subscriber
Hello Again Everyone

Today I'm posting pictures of how the front spindles and wheel bearings have been replaced and upgraded.

picture 0044 shows the original bearings. note the tapered Bronze sleeve bearing. The holes were packed with grease. This setup worked, but did create wheel drag.

picture 0045 shows the damaged original taper bearing that went on the outer end of the spindle. These bearings were an IHC design and size. I couldn't find a replacement bearing anywhere for this creature.

picture 0051 shows both the original size and shape of the spindle ( Top ) and the modified spindle ( Bottom ) both spindles were turned to the new configuration and various size retainers were machined to fit the wheel hubs so modern bearings and seals could be installed.

picture 0046 shows all the components in the order they are installed into the hub. No modifications were made to the hubs. All the retainers that were installed could be removed and the original bearings installed again. Of course to do that the spindles would have to be welded and machined back to the original specs.

A complete detailed set of Cad drawings have been made for this car from the ground up.

Attachments

LeRoy IHC

Subscriber
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

Today I'm going to make 2 post to show the method I used to repair the eyes on the leaf springs.

Picture 0075 Shows how I squared up the spring on the mill.

Picture 0076 Shows how I clamped the spring to angle plate.

Picture 0077 Shows machinist jack placed under the spring for support.

Picture 0078 Shows cutting the old bushing out of the spring with endmill.

Attachments

LeRoy IHC

Subscriber
Hello Again

More pictures of the repairs to the leaf springs.

Picture 0080 Shows reaming the spring to size for the new bushing

Picture 0081 Shows the reamed hole in the spring

Picture 0082 Shows pressing the new bushings in

Picture 0084 shows the new bushings installed.

I made the new bushings from oil impregnated Bronze to help with wear.

With close examination you can see the eyes were forge welded to the spring leafs on this car.

Attachments

John C Walker

Don't want to derail the post, but the T slot covers are a great looking idea. Must search around and see what can be found for such application.

squidtrap

Subscriber
Not really my type of car but its beautiful. Going to be a museum piece when done. Im more along the muscle car era. Cuda, challenger, road runner, etc. but still a nice piece.

LeRoy IHC

Subscriber
Hello Everyone
I hope you've had a great Thanksgiving with family and friends.

In today's post I'll be sharing pictures of the new frame and the new body that we needed to build for this car. Many thanks for this portion of the restoration needs to go to Joe Wulfken, Long Island, New York for the loan of the original body parts that he saved when he restored his car and also to Oliver Ray Redding, Ct. for building the new frame and body. Oliver is probably the best in the field for building authentic wood car body's and frames. His work is displayed in many collections around the world.

As I mentioned in an earlier post this car was restored in the 1960's and many of the methods employed at that time were not up to today's standards and also after talking to the fellow that built the body back then, all he had to go by were pictures. He had no idea if or where another one of these cars had survived. IHC only built 418 of these cars with the major portion of production built in 1910 and 21 built in 1911. Numbering started at 401, my car is 766.

Picture 0012 Shows the new White Ash frame

Picture 0014 Shows fitting the engine for the 1st time

Picture 0018 Shows the original Firewall and Floorboards that
were loaned from Joe

Picture 0021 Shows another view with the transmission in place.

Attachments

LeRoy IHC

Subscriber
Hello Again More pictures of the frame and body.

Picture 0023 The body is slowly taking shape

Picture 0031 Floor section

Picture 0034 The frame work for the seat

Picture 0038 the fuel tank has been installed to check fit.

Attachments