• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

1910 Rumely on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

KGC1615

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2018
Dan, I don't remember the town in Florida, just that it was on the West coast about midstate. The Keck was an 18 horse DSG, was on Ebay a couple of years ago. It was listed for a day, then pulled as a Limey bought it out from under us.:rant: Sorry Travis, I couldn't keep my mouth shut any longer!:eek:
Tom:D
 

Dan Donaldson

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/18/2014
KGC1615 said:
Dan, I don't remember the town in Florida, just that it was on the West coast about midstate. The Keck was an 18 horse DSG, was on Ebay a couple of years ago. It was listed for a day, then pulled as a Limey bought it out from under us.:rant: Sorry Travis, I couldn't keep my mouth shut any longer!:eek:
Tom:D
That is probably the one I heard of. Homosassa is on the west coast a liitle north of midstate.
 

Jeff Smith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018
Sometime between (+/-) 2002 and 2005 there was an engine from around Tampa and I thought that the engine was a Keck and was listed twice on ebay. I may be thinking of the wrong engine, but I thought it was listed the entire time the first time and then there were a few weeks (maybe even months or a year?) and it was listed again. It showed as being sold on ebay the second time and the buyer’s feedback made it appear as someone in WV bought it. I remember it because it was the first steam traction engine that I had noticed that actually sold on ebay, because until that time traction engines never met the reserve and it seemed like the owners were using ebay more for advertising and then making side deals from the listings. I may be thinking of the wrong engine, but I watch all engines on ebay from Florida and WV (because I grew up there) to humor myself, and that engine was in Florida and went for around $10k I think. Dan Donaldson was looking for an engine and I mentioned that engine from ebay to him and I asked everyone I knew about that engine so I could tell Dan more about it and everyone had no clue as to what I was even talking about.

There was a person near Arcadia (South I think) as Dan said that moved to Florida after retirement and had two steam engines and a barn full of other stuff. The man died and his wife continued to let people look at his collection if you knew the right people. I have never seen those engines and have been told about them many times, and one person says they are Case, the next guy says they are Avery, the next guy ________, etc. etc. etc. etc. Until I see them with my own eyes, or see photos of them, or have a close steam friend that knows steam engines well see them, I can’t say what they are. It has been rather humorous though, because it is almost like a good fish story. I would be rather surprised though if something rare (in my eyes) like a Greyhound or an under mount Avery was in that barn. Maybe this could be the 150 Case that many want to see?...........but I doubt it. The other engines I knew/know of in Florida include:
40hp Case at the Gold Coast Rail Road Museum
40hp Case Roller
50hp Case that went to Kinzers
60hp Case that went to CA
60hp Case South end of Lake
75 Case at Flywheeler Park
9x10 Frick at Flywheeler Park
Keck (under restoration) owned by the same person as the 75 case
Leffel Portable
Wood Tabor Morse Portable Boiler
A/T small portable boiler
Avery Straw Burner
1897 Geiser Peerless
1895 Geiser Peerless - went to England
1904 8x10 Frick - went to England
Peerless Portable – North end of state
Frick Traction – North end of state
Domestic Vertical (Geiser) - North end of state
Steam Shovel
Many hoisting engines due to ports
Many stationary engines – Flywheeler Park
Two big stationary engines on exit 79 or 80 of I -95.
Many steam locomotives

I’m sure there are some more engines that I don’t know about, but those are the ones I tracked down since the summer of 1994.


Tom - What is a Limey?

Jeff Smith
 

KGC1615

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2018
[QUOTE


Tom - What is a Limey?

Jeff Smith[/QUOTE]
Let's just say it went across the pond.
Tom:D
 

Beth V

Moderator
Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
While it is depressing to see US engines heading over the pond, there are a couple of upsides.......they can see how a real engine works! When I was at the Great Dorset Steam Fair, they all made fun of our "knitting needle" wheels (round spokes). Additionally, the engine will probably be "preserved."

We can pick on our friends accross the pond, but we have at least 1 American that is paying ridiculous prices for our engines and driving up the sale prices. We'll see if he shows up in KY.

Charlie has a great engine in that 20 Russell. If he wants to see one perfectly restored, come to Wauseon & watch David Schramm's. There isn't a squeak in it!

Jeff, My Dad always called Mom a "Limey" as she is of English descent.

Beth
 

Dan Donaldson

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/18/2014
Jeff Smith said:
There was a person near Arcadia (South I think) as Dan said that moved to Florida after retirement and had two steam engines and a barn full of other stuff. The man died and his wife continued to let people look at his collection if you knew the right people. I have never seen those engines and have been told about them many times, and one person says they are Case, the next guy says they are Avery, the next guy ________, etc. etc. etc. etc. Until I see them with my own eyes, or see photos of them, or have a close steam friend that knows steam engines well see them, I can’t say what they are. It has been rather humorous though, because it is almost like a good fish story. I would be rather surprised though if something rare (in my eyes) like a Greyhound or an under mount Avery was in that barn. Maybe this could be the 150 Case that many want to see?...........but I doubt it.

Jeff Smith
Jeff,

I think a lot of the confusion about the Swisher collection may be because he also has a lot of large prairie tractors that people (non-collectors) confuse with steam engines. I clearly remember seeing Ira's display at Zolpho Springs in the late 70's and early 80's. He had:
30-60 Aultman Taylor (Gas)
40-80 Avery (Gas)
30-60S Oil Pull (Gas)
Galloway tractor(Gas)
Cat 60 (Gas)
Cat 30 (Gas)
Others? (Gas)
Case (Steam)
????? (Steam)

I understand that the Flywheeler's just acquired a Corliss steam engine as well. They are in the process of moving it to Flywheeler Park.

Dan
 

Jeff Smith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018
Dan,

Do you know what size the Case steam engine is? Does it have contractor bunkers or bobtail? Do you have any photos of his steam engines?

I will beat Chuck to it also and ask you for the boiler number and engine number for him! :D All in good fun Chuck!

Jeff
 

Dan Donaldson

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/18/2014
Jeff Smith said:
Dan,

Do you know what size the Case steam engine is? Does it have contractor bunkers or bobtail? Do you have any photos of his steam engines?

I will beat Chuck to it also and ask you for the boiler number and engine number for him! :D All in good fun Chuck!

Jeff
Sorry. I do not have any answers for you. I've always wanted to get down to Arcadia to see the stuff and what condition it is in now. It may be time for an afternoon road trip.

Dan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top