• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

1912 Case steam traction engine 60 hp live steam on eBay

steamin191620

Registered
Re: 1912 case steam traction engine 60 hp live steam hitmis

been on there many times there is a nother thread with this engine on it

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020

Hmmm.....the dead horse surfaces again so we can beat it a little more.....:O

Jim Conte

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2018

Nice paint job. How about Ultrasonic survey data and a maintenance logbook / paperwork on any boiler repairs / ownership history.:confused:

Colin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013

Hmmm.....the dead horse surfaces again so we can beat it a little more.....O
:D

he started at 100 grand... cuz he'd "seen other ones bring that":bonk: then went to 75, and 60 for two or 3 runs, then 50, now 35. funny the first time he put it on as an auction and it nearly made 30k. I and many others have emailed him and told him thats all its worth!! but hes not getting it too fast:bonk:

Last edited:

Colt Edin

Registered

I just love how they think that something butchered like "hitmis" will gather a few more gawkers.

S.Simons

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/04/2010

No ultrasound done, a couple flues plugged, he has never ran the engine himself and has no idea how it operates. TAKE IT FROM AN EXPERT :eek:

John Faccin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/06/2009

I'm just curious, has anyone with steam knowledge ever looked at this engine? Are the problems claimed verified or just opinion? I know the price is to high, but it seems he may come down lower, with more information, what would be a fair price? How about an guesstimate of cost of repairs that are acknowledged.

S.Simons

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/04/2010
BBQ season is just around the corner, should hold enough BBQ's for a neighborhood block party........:rolleyes:

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013
It does appear to me that this is going to sell eventually. I am sure glad I am not involved, but for those who are, we should only be a few more auctions away from this engine finding a home. :(

This has got to be one god awful painful process for the interested potential buyers.

John Faccin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/06/2009
I am interested, I really didn't want a Case, nothing against them, Just had my heart set on a Port Huron, but it is not like you find one every day for sale, especially where I live. I know of a Port Huron the guy claims is for sale and it is close by and has a current inspection, but he won't give me a price. It has been several years now and I am still waiting. No one has answered my question of has a knowledgeable steam guy looked at it (the Case)? I read all the posts and threads on this engine, and heard about the boiler being bad, but how bad? I also heard it needs a crown sheet and 4 if not all the flues. Someone said it needed grates & some stay bolts. I am NOT an expert so I am looking for help, and in my opinion it is still too high in price, and then there is shipping. I could probably pick it up outside of California, but my old Pete won't pass Cal's specs. anymore, and I would be skeptical going in there. I would chance all the other states though. There is still a cost for going out there, so the price needs to drop some more considering the repairs people have stated it needs and the hauling. It's not like I could buy anything today because I am in the process of buying a old barn to keep a Steam Traction Engine in along with my Thresher and several more items. I hope to have that done soon, and then maybe a Steam Engine. When my wife reads this I will have to hide all the knives in the house!! Well maybe I could buy her a dishwasher or something? How about it does anyone have first hand knowledge? I am trying to get accurate information.

I am not opposed to another brand of Steam Engine if someone knows of one for sale. I live 130 miles North of Green Bay, WI.

HalfKeck

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/17/2016
For the money that could possibly be involved in a boiler repair, you would be well served to pay someone to check it over that was experienced in such boilers. Depending on what they found it could save you thousands and possibly a lot of trouble. Of course the owner may not want anyone to start doing UT tests and possibly mar that shiny paint....

stfarms

Registered
Hey was that the same old Port that was at the Walloon Lake show a few years ago with the plastic For Sale sign hanging on the door of the firebox? :D

stfarms

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
John & Brian,

You both are looking for 19 hp Port Hurons. They are out there, you just have to be patient. Post your wish list in the Engines Wanted Section and go from there.

John, come on down to NTA and you'll find several Port Hurons. Have you given Dave Kemler a ring? He usually knows where several can be found.

.....Don't settle for ah, ah, ah....CASE!!!! :faint::kick::rotfl:

Beth:wave:

John Faccin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/06/2009
Thanks HalfKeck, stfarms & Beth,

If I knew someone close who would check it out for me I would ask them to do it. I would think the owner would be willing to have a California inspector check it out. That would probably be cheaper than the e-bay fees. Maybe it would be more sale able too. At least there would be a accurate account of the condition.

No the Port I am waiting for has never been to Walloon Lake that I know of, Where is Walloon Lake? This Port is always stored inside and comes out a few days a year, then back inside. I did look at a Port In a pile in Menominee, Mi. for 7500.00, but it needed way to much work and was apart for years and I wasn't sure all the pieces were even there.I heard it sold but I never heard any more about it.

We will see if we can make NTA this year, my wife graduates collage with her Bachelors degree this July 12th, which is Iola week, and I might have to miss part of that too. and we can't make it then. It's nice being married to a collage girl, except when I spend money!!! She is already registered for her Masters. The cost of her collage is way more than the Barn and a Engine, but it is what she wants to do.

Is Dave Kemler on Stak? How do I get a hold of him?

Colin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
John .....Don't settle for ah, ah, ah....CASE!!!! :kick:
Beth
John if your interested you should try and look into it more. This late Case is superior:)D) to the Port being a rear spring mounted engine with all steel brackets for engine and parts mounts. as well as a being a dry bottom boiler. also parts from grates to gauges are fairly easy to come buy. They're a nice mid sized engine with a healthy 10x10 B&S.
this one could sure make a nice engine as long as it didnt need major boiler and gearing work. I'd start about 24grand and tell him thats for a good boiler,... if the fire box is bad then its less. :shrug:;)

John Faccin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/06/2009
I guess that is a bit tough to answer till I get the deal I am in the middle of which is purchasing a barn done. With that said I think 20,000 to 25,000 for the right engine with a inspection, but not till the other deal is done. I passed up a Nichols Shepard at a auction two years ago, that sold for 13,500 with no inspection for ten or more years, It had a fire in it at the auction which Rick and I agreed there shouldn't have been. How can you check in the fire box with a fire in it. So we decided they were trying to hide something and I passed on it. I came real close to buying that engine. It was in Crivitz, WI. I wish we could of had a look before they fired it. It was close to home too, 75 miles. I never heard about it again, other than it went to Shawano, WI. Well now I am going to have to hide all the knives again!!!

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
John, I take it you saw this thread....

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58646

There's 'ya a Port!

I say if that's what you want, look for awhile and you'll find the engine you want. I love 'em all, but the project I've spent the last two years off and on working on was an extremely rough 60 HP Case....bought off of e-bay! And NO, I did NOT pay $35,000 for it......or any amount close to it! No pretty paint.... :crazy:

Mike