• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

1912 Case steam traction engine 60 hp live steam on eBay

Rob Bryce

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2013
It had a fire in it at the auction which Rick and I agreed there shouldn't have been. How can you check in the fire box with a fire in it. So we decided they were trying to hide something and I passed on it.
My hunch, without being there and knowing what happened, is they figured that by letting people see it run, it would command a better dollar. Like any auction sale, it's as-is so if you can hear/see it run, then you've got a better indication of what it may be.

That said, if you've got your heart set on a particular engine, search for it 'til you figure you can't. It takes a long time and a lot of $ to rebuild an engine properly, and you're gonna get to know every inch of it. So you may as well want to get to know every inch of it.

--Rob

John Faccin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/06/2009
Rob,

Again NOT being an expert, but still I believe you are not supposed to have an uncertified engine running with the public all around it? There were at least several hundred people at the auction, all waiting for the Nichols Shepard, so I believe it was a violation of the law to fire it without an inspection. It could have been a accident waiting to happen, sitting for ten years or more and then firing it just to sell it, I wouldn't do it. We believe the guy knew this, hence the comment he my have been trying to hide something.

JMHO

Rob Bryce

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2013
John, I'm sure you're right that he should have needed a valid inspection, and if he didn't know that, he should have taken measures to find that out.

LundMachineWorks

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2018
Maybe if everybody bombard him with an offer of say about 5k. He may finally figure out that it is most likely yard art.

20advance

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/08/2020
I have looked at these pics many times and saw something this morning .The bunkers have no water tank was it cut off or did some bunkers come like this??

Thanks
20advance

John Deck

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/10/2017
I you are correct that the water tank is not there. The picture showing the firebox door shows two holes on the floor for the injector pickups but when you look at the side view the tanks which sit below the hitch frame are gone. Its anyones guess what has happened to them but knowing what a new set of bunkers cost several years ago adds to the idea that this is way over priced.

Half Throttle

Registered
kinda woundering what they were using for tanks then. Why would you fix it up and not put the tanks on or were they old set and need to be fixed.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
...better hurry, only one hour left to bid!!!:eek:

It would make more sense to look at the other 3 steamers on Engineads...the 20 Reeves, 20 Sawyer Massey & the Frick!

Beth:wave:

Zachary Rukstela

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/29/2011
Lompoc is about 4hrs south of me and used to be in my territory back in my radio engineering days.

Work is scarce these days so if an interested buyer was willing to cover expenses and a little for my time, I'd head down to Lompoc, do a UT and a hydro test.

That is if you could convince the current owner to let us do it.

Zachary:j:

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Zachary,

I think you should contact the owner, offer your services (at the proper rate$$) and let him know that you would share your findings. That way a "Stakker" has viewed it and we can have a better feel for the engine's condition.

You are a "Case" man afterall!;)

Sounds like a useful plan to me!

Beth:wave:

dvweiler

Registered
I have a 1907 Giser model UU It needs a new front tube sheet And then retubing. its all there and i had it running on air last summer. I live at Wausau WI. .I am getting to old (69) to finish the project. If you might be interested PM me.

**Excellent item for Engineads. No ads in the forum.**