• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

1913 Seldon 1 Ton

Sloroll

Registered
I just drug home the muscle end of a 1913 Seldon. Just wondered if anyone had a parts truck parked behind their garage..
I will probably restore it as a power unit or possibly a doodlebug. If I could find an early bug with a bad engine I think I could swap in this frame and initial transmission. It just got home so I a just bouncing ideas about in my head. Anyway it is way to cool to scrap. It last ran 20 years ago. The engine has plugs in the head. It looks as though one could do a valve job without removing the head. Each valve has approximately a 2" plug that unscrews fro the head to access the valve head.
Any information on this truck would be more than welcome as would be that parts truck you have. :salute:

Sloroll

Registered
I got a little time to look this engine over. It is headless. I am not an expert on early trucks but I don't think I have ever seen a 4 cylinder (all cast in one block) headless engine. Anyone?

russ d junk

Registered
The engine with out a detachable head sounds right for a truck as old as yours. It took a while for engine design and casting technology to catch up with each other to allow the removable head that we all take for granted now. Your truck sounds very interesting, do you have any pictures? Selden was a very important man in the history of American automobiles.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
I spend all my free time immersed in old trucks and have never seen a Selden. Same folks that sued under the Selden Patent?
Please post pictures.

stufforbud

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/17/2019
Continental built an engine for early GMC trucks that was headless. I had to sleeve one hole, not fun!

russ d junk

Registered
Re: 1913 Selden 1 Ton

George Selden, who built Selden trucks, was the same man who held the patent on the automobile. He made a good deal of money on royalties until he finally lost his court battle with Henry Ford. Selden trucks were made until about 1930 in Rochester, New York.

1913 was the first year that Selden made only trucks, having stopped car production in 1912. Your truck (or part of a truck) surely needs to be preserved. It is a rare item. Steve

Sloroll

Registered
I will post pictures as I can and I start restoration. Hope to this fall. I am considering several options. Restoring as a power unit, restore as a doodle bug using a conversion kit If I can find one or possibly using the pack half and steering off a similar IHC truck and building a truck. Thank you in advance for any information. It is difficult to even find photos of a one ton. :salute: I wish I had more parts for sure.