• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

1913 United Engine

Zyndyna

Registered
Last night my husband and I acquired a 1913 United flywheel engine. I will post some pictures later this afternoon. Anyone have any information about these motors? It is a 2 and 1/2 hp. We are really excited this is our first stationary engine. It's extremely heavy needless to say. I would say she weighs several hundred pounds. One of our first projects needs to be a cart to move it around on. We also got a 1939 John Deere B. :) Thanks for any information. :)

Rich Mueller Sr

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
In the gas engine discussion threads, there is a thread, United Registry, by Dick Weber, it would be a better place for this thread, or the moderator could move it for you maybe. Does it have a tag and a number on the end of crank, and what type? I have a 6hp type A,31/2hp type A goose neck trip, and one coming by Fastenal a 21/2hp type A with straight trip, yea they are heavy, think about a 6hp with 40" wheels on it !! luckily on a no. 5 cart!, looking forward to pics and numbers!!

Zyndyna

Registered
Dick it does have a tag and a number on it. I am not sure how to tell if its a goose neck or not. We are both very new to this so we are looking to learn. As soon as I get off work I am going to grab some pictures and post them :) I know it is on a skid not sure if it is the original skid or not. Looks old, but 101 years old not sure.

van wert

Registered
hi I am a newbe.

I just got a 4.5 united engine company, type a,s/n 400888? it looks just like yours. the ignition parts are missing, so I would like to see some closeups if you would please.
van wert

Andy Williams

Registered
That's a Nice looking engine, I also have one exactly like it if you order parts for it I think it is really a 3 hp. associated/united. just go by the alphabetical letters on the parts. i havn't got mine running either i had to get a carb for it and also some springs and a coil. i put it in a shed I don't have a cart either and it is heavy to move, good luck with it.