• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

1930 McCormick Deering 22-36 Restoration

archbar

Registered
Hi Russ, we do get humidity in the summer, dew on the grass and such. The barn gets allot of ventilation with the doors open. I forgot to mention that the tractor had no radiator cap so the water and snow had a place to gather. Probably why the bottom the the rad casting split.

archbar

Registered
My next post is about some of the smaller pieces that I found broken and later found replacements. In November I cleaned greased, and assembled the crank. The next job was mounting the water pump. After being apart for a year, I spent some time finding the right bolts but got them in. Slid the belt onto the pump pulley. Bolted the water inlet pipe.20191019_135035_1.JPG

With the oil pump and pan attached (and that was a big job!) I filled up the oil. To my surprise, oil was leaking out of the tractor. After looking at the drain cocks, it was the second cock with the snapped knob that was open. I vice gripped it shut. drained the oil a bit. Thanks to Steve Dasch, I got a replacement drain cock, and a side curtain clamp.
20191012_141020_1.JPG
20191107_173415_1.JPG
After looking at the photo I took, I realized the top drain cock showed the original grey paint. The only part on the tractor that had it.

20191112_154131_1.JPG
Finally, today, I brazed (hopefully) the last part of the rad that had a hole in it. Sometimes, I wonder if I did the right thing spending so much time doing intensive surgery on this rad. The cost of repairing this rad totaled around $100. Perhaps I just should have waited and saved enough money to buy a new rad.
20191112_154154_1.JPG
My Grandpa had some spare furnace fittings laying around and it fitted the air cleaner screen, cheap and dirty fix.
I really want the air cleaner pipe to be the length of our 10-20 pipe. Today I drilled out the rivets connecting the flange. I would like to find a pipe diameter and cut it to a 1' 6" length.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
View attachment 386261
Would be nice to belt my 22-36 to a thresher like this scene :)
If you and your 22-36 could make it to Goessel Kansas at the show we could make that wish come true.
I cant tell if that's a McCormick-Deering threshing machine, most had the long feeder. Someone said of
this picture that the guy in coveralls is a dealership mechanic, can somebody enlarge him?

Last edited:

archbar

Registered
If you and your 22-36 could make it to Goessel Kansas at the show we could make that wish come true.
I cant tell if that's a McCormick-Deering threshing machine, most had the long feeder. Someone said of
this picture that the guy in coveralls is a dealership mechanic, can somebody enlarge him?
I just sent you a fb message. I can send you a hi res version of that print

archbar

Registered
The last task I did in 2019 was install the gas lines and time the magneto. The TDC mark on the flywheel was hard to locate. My first attempt resulted in a slight kickback that made me go back to study the instruction manual. Sure enough, timing the E4a Mag is different than an automatic mag. I followed the directions. I made three up turns on the crank and the engine took off! I ran the engine for only 4 minutes to allow the pistons to seat themselves in the cylinders. I never ran it again. I am itching to get that damn rad on!

22-36 First start

Ric Murphy

Registered
Congratulations Rian! The worst is over now and you’ll be driving it around in no time. Good weathers on the way and hopefully you can get the rad in soon. Make sure you have help....not sure which is heavier, the rad or the head!

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
I found the timing procedure in the manuals to be VERY helpful over the years, finally got it
memorized. Can you imagine that, THATS when you know you have too many old tractors,
when you can time them in the dark, one eye open, one hand tied behind your back, in a
blizzard, standing on your head with no tools and you cant even remember what day it is. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Wayne Riedlinger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Over the winter, I cleaned the carb. The cork float was history and ordered a new one from Fordson House. Cleaned and re-seated the needle valves, gave it a nice clean with Autosol, oiled and reassembled, ready to test. The old Splitdorf mag I decided to retire and put on the shelf. I waited until I saved enough money to buy a tested reconditioned E4a mag from a trusted repair man from Michigan who sold me an excellent JMA mag for my Grandpa’s CASE S.
View attachment 386260
View attachment 384773
View attachment 384774
View attachment 384775
good looking mag. I would say that this is the correct mag for it. Ive always thought that the splitdorf were only used on the early 15-30s but I could be wrong. I like the old McCormick Deerings tractors. I've got a 1927 15-30 in the shed.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
good looking mag. I would say that this is the correct mag for it. Ive always thought that the splitdorf were only used on the early 15-30s but I could be wrong. I like the old McCormick Deerings tractors. I've got a 1927 15-30 in the shed.
Splitdorf went from standard to optional in the late 20's when IH switched to the E4A, a great magneto. But I REALLY like the Splitdorf
mags, although an inexperienced guy like me can break one easily taking one apart when you have a good one you have the world
by the tail.

Wayne Riedlinger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Yes I've heard that about the old splitdorf. I've got one sitting on the shelf for many years. A couple years ago I took it down and was just turning it over by hand and I got a heck of a jolt from it.

archbar

Registered
View attachment 386261
Would be nice to belt my 22-36 to a thresher like this scene :)
Image001125.JPG
Here's a close up on that photograph. My tractor doesn't have traces of a decal on the top end of the gas tank. My 22-36 has a wide trace of a decal on the starter tank. This tractor has a smaller rectangular decal. Any insights on the date of this photo? circa 1925 I feel is safe to assume.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
There are a few hints to the year that tractor was manufactured, paint still looks pretty good so its probably less than five years old. It has the earlier caps on the tanks so I would guess finding that change in the parts book would be close if its in there. It doesn't have the cast iron ends at the air cleaner pipe joint for the extension. I THINK I see the cast muffler in the gas tank support so im guessing that tractor is a late 1927 by the tank caps and the ihc fender decals. Those ihc's almost look like screen printing instead, but the way the sun is hitting them they might just be that or something in a decal reflecting the sun causing a blur. Very early tractors were stenciled rather than decaled, when I first saw this picture I wondered if that was an IH photo shoot and somebody put those IHC's on there for the picture. I see it says IHC service on the coveralls now, thanks for the enlarge. Don't see much for clothes patches so it isn't taken in the 30's. Fenders aren't bent up so its had good care or its pretty new. I would guess that picture as 1928-1929.