• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

1930s White Truck Running Gear From Sawmill

BlasterMike

Registered
One PA belongs to a local collector. I think that’s where I saw those wheels. Not for sale.
The other was at the ancient dairy but wasn’t for sale at the time. However, if I can find his number I will ask. I’m sure he’d want to sell the entire truck, though.

The 1915 model D packard, came with two brass rads and a rough spare engine out of a model E, they share the same engine, but model D is a 3 speed and the gatechange is on the outside of the chassis, model E is 4 speed and gearchange behind the engine,
Hope this is of interest,
Mike

Attachments

Bud Tierney

Registered
MONSONMOTORS:: just noticed the Wauk-White combination; while my old catalogs are far from comp0lete, I don't find any factory Wauk-White listing...
Nor can my old set bring up the tag clear enough to read any ID info...
Could tou post whatever's on the ID tag re engine model/boree-stroke etc???
It'e true that truck builders would generally insrall any engine the customer desired, and most vendors industrial engines were produced to match up with SAE patterns, but I wonder if this was put together on-site...
Nobody threw away anything usable in the outlying areas; all kinds of old car/truck/tractor components were rejiggered to run whatever needed power...
Fascinating find...

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
I know Mack and Federal used Continental engines, IHC used Waukesha. I assumed that White used a Waukesha F-Head. The trans and bell housing fit like stock. Having said that, White should have a White motor in it? I very easily could be wrong. But it begs the question: what had that big old Waukesha F head in it? Thanks for the info!

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Blaster Mike, I visited my collector friends in Dinuba and took these pictures. Their PA is the XB model.

Attachments

BlasterMike

Registered
Blaster Mike, I visited my collector friends in Dinuba and took these pictures. Their PA is the XB model.
Monsonmotors, thanks for going to check out your friends pa, the XB and XA is more or less the same, XB being rated to 3 ton XA rated at 2 ton, they shared same wheels and mechanicals, their truck looks fairly complete, are they missing anything major ? Those are the front wheels i almost had last year , dont suppose they have any spares ? or know of any others ? Do they have plans to restore the XB? i do have a few spare parts on another xa frame i have, maybe we could help each other? maybe
sorry for all the questions but pa trucks or parts are harder to find than the ww1 Libertys, ive been looking now for over ten years and this is the 4th one ive seen, would like to know more if possible? Thanks again
Mike

BlasterMike

Registered
Monsonmotors, thanks for going to check out your friends pa, the XB and XA is more or less the same, XB being rated to 3 ton XA rated at 2 ton, they shared same wheels and mechanicals, their truck looks fairly complete, are they missing anything major ? Those are the front wheels i almost had last year , dont suppose they have any spares ? or know of any others ? Do they have plans to restore the XB? i do have a few spare parts on another xa frame i have, maybe we could help each other? maybe
sorry for all the questions but pa trucks or parts are harder to find than the ww1 Libertys, ive been looking now for over ten years and this is the 4th one ive seen, would like to know more if possible? Thanks again
Mike
A spare radiator nameplate

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
My friends have also been looking for parts. I can’t say what parts. It’s possible you guys could do some trading. I’ll leave that up to them. I’ll let them know.

Bud Tierney

Registered
MONSONMOTORS---If you'll post whatever ID info is on the engine tag, and if it gives the basic engine model I may be able to find some of the trucks/tractors that model was originally installed in...in that period it should be a letter or letters combination for basic model, possibly with a numver or numbers following for that particular ebine...
Or if you'll take off ALL the info on the tag, plus anything stamped or embossed on your engine, enail it to the Wauk Eng Hist Soc (wehs.org) they should be able to tell you who your specific engine was originally sold to...
ADDITION---While I don't recall ever reading a comprehensive White history, my uinderstanding is they began building their oen engines very early on.
My catalogs are weak on very early years, the first vendoe engines being a few Hercs starting in 1931...

Last edited:

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
I can begin to see info...
We were “sitting around the campfire” last night discussing the Waukesha saw mill engine. We still think it’s from a White Truck. Examples were given of at least four makes that you could get delivered with a Waukesha? Repowering at the sawmill site I don’t see how they mated a huge White truck transmission to a Waukesha so well.
However, I have an open mind! :)

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
CB, I’ve said it before...I’ll put this poor area of CA up against any area in the US for quantity of old vehicles still hiding in the “weeds”. I’m constantly amazed!
The 1932 Fords and old Corvettes were long gone before I was in high school. However, the ancient trucks and tractors and equipment and odd-make stuff is still rattling out of the woodwork.
My same friends with the Pierce-Arrow also have enough parts to build a Model TT. All locally sourced.
Cotton trailers here were sometimes made out of teens Cadillacs and old utility trailers were made out of high-end Marmons. You can still see them on old farms.
In between Model T stuff and classic era Cadillacs you have any amount of 1930s-1950s pickup and truck stuff either bone stock or highly modified for it’s new agricultural use.
It’s actually distracting there’s so much of it.

BlasterMike

Registered
CB, I’ve said it before...I’ll put this poor area of CA up against any area in the US for quantity of old vehicles still hiding in the “weeds”. I’m constantly amazed!
The 1932 Fords and old Corvettes were long gone before I was in high school. However, the ancient trucks and tractors and equipment and odd-make stuff is still rattling out of the woodwork.
My same friends with the Pierce-Arrow also have enough parts to build a Model TT. All locally sourced.
Cotton trailers here were sometimes made out of teens Cadillacs and old utility trailers were made out of high-end Marmons. You can still see them on old farms.
In between Model T stuff and classic era Cadillacs you have any amount of 1930s-1950s pickup and truck stuff either bone stock or highly modified for it’s new agricultural use.
It’s actually distracting there’s so much of it.

MM just wondering about the pierce you spoke of at the ancient dairy, do you think its the same era pierce ? as your collector friends have, Im thinking if it was and your friends needed parts they probably would of tried to acquire it? Just my thoughts, sure interested hope they contact me
Thanks again
Mike.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
The owner of the “dairy PA” wasn’t very forthcoming with details. I’m trying to find his phone number. I hate to just show up at his house. I know it was a similar year. What year did PA stop producing trucks?
I’ll search again.