• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

1930s White Truck Running Gear From Sawmill

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Trip back in time to my HS friend’s dad’s house. Lots of antique Ford parts. A set of Model A wheels and a set of later 1930s wire wheels. THOSE are a commodity.
I also got a box of Model A goodies.
The Model A engine will have to wait until I have a way to lift it. Three hour plus drive to go get.
Add in visiting with old friends and Tommy’s hamburgers and it was a great day!

Attachments

Bud Tierney

Registered
On the ID of the Wauk engine...
WEHS site saya a line of 4 and 6 cyl F-heads was introduced "in he 30s".. the 4s were:
4-55 33/8x43/4=134.3 OOPS--should be 169.98
4-80 51/2x61/2=617.72
4-95 6x61/2=735.3
4-115 61/2x7=929.1I
Those were also the only 4s in a couple gasket catalogs that used the distinctive F-head head gaskets...

Last edited:

Bud Tierney

Registered
Oddly, the 6s were smaller
6-90 33/8x43/4-254.57
6-110 4x43/4=358.44
6-125 42/8x51/8=462.27...
As you've probably guessed, the numbers were the promised HP at the factory recommended steady running RPMs
The tag on yours is not, to my limited knowledge at least, the usual truck/tractor engine tag, which usually has model #, b/s, serial # and sometimes valve settings; I think the "bare engine" info means the engine was sold as an industrial engine to go on or provide power for various equipment
Please do send what engine info you can read to WEHS; I still doubt it was sold to White as a tgruck engine, but am dying of curiosity.....they have manuals, no parts but can sometimes recommend sources....

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
I think it’s likely a “repower”, then. Interesting how good the conversion looks. No adaptor plates?
Thanks, Bud!

Bud Tierney

Registered
More circumstantial evidence---
Cursory eyeballing on period parts catalogs shows limited penetration of truck field in 30s for the F-head 6s, but nothing for the 4s...
Looks like at least the two big 4s were strictly industrial---heavy municipal, oil field or mining pumping?? heavy dredgers/ditchers??
Presumably cast to an SAE spec (?), Whires' trans would also need to've been cast to that spec as tou say there's no adapter; (there's a range of SAE specs and adapters to attach different SAE spec engines/transmissions)...
It;s also possible this was originally some kind of one-off or handful of production specialized trucks, possibly off-road, and your driveline is, afdter all, all original....

BlasterMike

Registered
More circumstantial evidence---
Cursory eyeballing on period parts catalogs shows limited penetration of truck field in 30s for the F-head 6s, but nothing for the 4s...
Looks like at least the two big 4s were strictly industrial---heavy municipal, oil field or mining pumping?? heavy dredgers/ditchers??
Presumably cast to an SAE spec (?), Whires' trans would also need to've been cast to that spec as tou say there's no adapter; (there's a range of SAE specs and adapters to attach different SAE spec engines/transmissions)...
It;s also possible this was originally some kind of one-off or handful of production specialized trucks, possibly off-road, and your driveline is, afdter all, all original....

Hi Monsonmotors, sorry to hijack your thread, but i take it no news on the other pa means bad news? and they are both not available? for sale for parts or whole?
Thanks mike.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Mike, I had a huge dirty air Central CA asthma attack on the way down there and turned back. To be continued...
I did learn these other “old trucks” are most likely cotton trailers, now.
He is holding to “NFS”. But I gotta get pictures, don’t I???
I want to know what the other trailers are made out of, too. Talk about a Las Vegas gamble. Could be great stuff.