• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

1931 Dodge and Early 1920s GMC Truck

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
With help I discovered and purchased two antique trucks, today.
The 95-ish year old GMC is missing a lot, but it is amazing! Just the cast-iron wheels with hard rubber tires were worth saving. Appears to originally have had a wooden c-cab mounted like in the picture.
The other truck appears to be a 1931 Dodge. Probably the biggest version of Dodge available that year. It had demountable steel dually rims clamped to heavy cast spokes like 1930s IHCs do. I’ve never seen that on any Dodge truck.
This 1931 Dodge, like so many other early trucks, had considerable wood in the cab as reinforcement for the tin shell. It also had a fabric roof.

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
I spent some time researching the GMC and have concluded it’s from the late teens. Like 1918. I had no idea that GMC had so many truck models and so many cab configurations.
This particular version appears to be a smaller C cab version of the heavier duty line. Check out the windshield frame and running boards and brackets. Such cool castings, everywhere!
I’ve also posted pictures of 1931 Dodge trucks.

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
The GMC is rare but I suspect there’s another within a few hour drive. There’s so much old Ag-related stuff, here.
The cab has to be built no matter what.
The GMC radiator and hood search begins!
The 1931 has been modified too much. It will most likely end up as a 1931 Dodge Pickup. I believe I have the correct bed and rear fendersZ

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Very interesting projects,please keep us updated.
My Model T's started out much worse than anything in your pictures and I am driveing 2 of the 3 and #3 will be finished in the coming years.

Oldtech

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Do you know what sort of locomotion the GMC had? Buick maybe or ?

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Hi, Oldtech!
I have no experience with vehicles of this vintage. I know that slightly newer GMC trucks used Buick engines because Tad Burness (in his Truck and Bus Spotter’s Guide) told me so. I’ve seen exactly one 1930 GMC truck with a Buick motor.
I’m very excited about this old GMC. I’m going to build my own C-cab and source radiator and hood.
I’m much less optimistic about finding the correct engine, transmission and driveshaft.
It’s also missing steering column and box.
It’s pretty cool living in an area (Central California) that still contains these old trucks. I’ll find another old GMC.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Here are some internet pics of 1918-era GMC trucks. Some seem to be the same model as mine. The giveaways are the front of the front springs and frame, the shape and depth of the cowl. The same years GMC 5-ton had really beefy front frame horns. Mine is not a 5-ton. It’s much smaller.

Attachments

stufforbud

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/17/2019
We built a GMC like this about 5 yrs ago and have a lot of pictures and info. This was built before they used Buick and Pontiac engines. Ours has a big tag on the block that says
" Built for GMC by Continental ". It's a headless iron block with a heavy cast aluminum pan and a splash oil system. If you want to email me I'll send you some info.
Bud

Oldtech

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
That is interesting that they used a Continental. Big trucks were pretty few back then so I guess even GM brought in Engines. I am restoring a 1917 McLaughlin Buick and am pretty familliar with Buicks from 1916 up, and GMC Trucks in the later 20's There is an Ambulance or bus circa 1918 at the Reynolds museum in Alberta that has a BIG 4 cylinder overhead valve engine that looks Buick-ish but is a Mystery to me. Something new every day you know!

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Anyone have any idea what color a 1918 GMC truck chassis should be?
I hate to slop on black POR15 paint and be wrong, wrong, wrong (again).
I see similar GMC trucks with chassis painted cab color. Is that correct? And what were offered body paint colors?
Thanks, Don

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Scraping 101 years of crap off. Looks like old black paint on chassis, fenders. Maybe green on the body. My best guess.
John and Mike Boyajian say that these cabs were often made of Poplar Wood. I googled Poplar and you can readily buy 3/4” Poplar online.
I suspect I will build the first cab out of plywood since that’s so easy to obtain and cut.
Wheels are another matter. Wheels and chassis tend to be the same colors if you look at period pictures.

Attachments

Last edited: