• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

1931 Dodge and Early 1920s GMC Truck

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Travelled today to locally famous Turner’s Auto Wrecking in Fresno and actually got to speak with the man himself, Jerry Turner.
In his “collection” is a early GMC truck of about 1929 vintage. We were hoping it was misidentified, but no.
Everything I need is different. Mine is more like 1918.
If you are ever in the vicinity you should stop and see what a huge (10,000 cars) wrecking yard looks like. Delightfully in disarray, the world is shutting these old yards down as fast as it can. Once they are all gone we will be screwed. Fresno already has lost Romo’s Auto Wrecking. Much of the old Globe Auto Wrecking inventory is still available at the NEW Globe in Fowler, CA. Thank goodness.

Attachments

David Hughes

Registered
The Columbia Volunteer Fire Department has a '31 Dodge firetruck built by Van Pelt in Oakdale. It replaced the two 1850's handpumpers, Papeete and Monumental. It can be a beast to drive, no power anything, and very long. I learned to double-clutch on that truck, when she was still in active service. Attached (I hope) is picture of me driving the '31 in the Columbia 4th of July parade this year, my two boys (still boys, to me) hanging on back.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

David Hughes

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Scraping on chassis continues in between rainstorms. El Niño is in command.
The nice ATHS member with the antique GMC trucks and parts has invited me to view his collection and perhaps purchase something. He’s only about four hours away!

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Same nice ATHS member sent these detail photos of his 1926 K-41. Looks like the engine blocks were blue and finally sprouted detachable cylinder heads as time went on. Appears that the K-41 was in production for at least eight years. That sure helps my search...
The “pickup box” on his K-41 makes the truck! All proportions are perfect! I gotta build one.

Attachments

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
You are very lucky those wheels are in decent shape.that can be exspensive to get new rubber.
You have alot more to start with that I did on my first old truck.My T 1 ton.
You take your time and you will have a nice truck.
I can't help with the engine even though I have a couple 28 chevy engines laying around they are not correct for your truck

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Uglyblu66, The same ATHS member says he has a good engine. Not too far away, either.
I have a couple of early Chevies. One is stuck. I might need your Motors!
Thank you!

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
1931 Dodge truck finally made it home. The frame modifications are something to behold! Four or six feet of added frame plus a bridge truss system, underneath.
A shame to cut frame but this truck will become a pickup. I have a credible bed and rear fenders.

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
I spent the day measuring and working on the 1931 Dodge Truck. I ascertained that the pickup version of the truck would have about a 62” long bed (using proportions of the cab) and so I looked around in my piles and found a very credible early 1930s Chevrolet, Dodge or International pickup bed (they all look so similar). I measured it and it’s 63” long. Close enough for me!
I then began cutting the heavily modified and extended 1931 Dodge truck frame to accommodate the 63” pickup bed.
I’d never hack up something NICE or unmodified, BTW.
I also scraped some more on the old GMC. The differential must have really leaked for years.

Attachments