• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

1940's Sullivan Air Compressor Help

Good morning. I am a volunteer engineer aboard a WW2 cargo ship. Our original Ship Service Air compressor is a bit tired and is need of some TLC. Before delving into a tear down project, I'd like to try and find some additional information on the compressor I'm dealing with.

The compressor itself is a Sullivan Model EA, likely built around 1944. The compressor is a two cylinder model, and is driven by an ~20HP DC motor. Scouring the depths of google has not resulted in any information on this compressor. I do wonder if Sullivan manufactured another maker's air compressor, as was common during the war. Also, the spare parts we do have are all marked with Joy Manufacturing tags, a company that didn't exist until the 1950's, leading me to believe they bought the line or parts rights.

Attached are a few photos.

Any help on finding more information about this compressor and a potential parts supply would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
There are some places that carry military manuals, you might have to ask around to see if one can be located. Parts may not be too big of a problem, but may require you to tear it down so you can provide dimensions. As long as bore is not worn out, a set of rings and some valve work might get it going again. If bore is worn your option is bore and find over-size piston and rings, or bore and sleeve and just find new rings.

I've torn into a few old compressors, bore was always acceptable and just got by with rings, bearings and valve work. Good luck and let us know what you find.

I was thinking some rings, valve, cylinder honing, and maybe some bearing work would be needed. We have a fair amount of parts and manuals, though I didn't notice rings nor head gaskets. I could probably draw up the head gaskets in a CAD program and get some graphite ones made up.

I'd like to tear into it, but the powers at be are always leary of opening stuff up. Guess I have more problems than just a parts source.

Further research leads me to believe Gardner-Denver would be the likely owner of any rights to this line of compressor.

While going through our parts this week, I think I have most of the hard parts to do a decent rebuild of the compressor. Shaft support bearings are a standard roller bearing I can get, various oil seals are required which I can find online, and we have a stock of rings and valve parts to do the compressor many times over.

My only question is with regards to the head gasket. The original gaskets are a copper clad fibrous material (asbestos most likely). We have one brand new head gasket for the LP cylinder, and a few for the HP in questionable condition, including a shop fashioned one. Most modern compressors I've worked on have used some sort of graphite gasket. Would this be a suitable material to replace the copper/asbestos gaskets with?