• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

1941 Co-op B2 Junior Restoration

efred

Registered
Now that my 1940 Silver King 440 restoration is complete, I have started on my second restoration project in my spare time, which is a 1941 Co-op B2 Junior serial number 178. The Co-op B2 Junior was built in Shelbyville, IN by the National Farm Machinery Cooperative only in 1941 and marketed by the Indiana Farm Bureau Co-op. The Juniors were built at the same time as the regular Co-op B2s, so serial numbers for the Juniors are scattered in with all the B2 serial numbers. It is not officially known how many of these Juniors were built, but it is reportedly either 60 or 66 of these tractors were actually manufactured. They were essentially a model 41 Silver King, but powered by a 4 cylinder Continental engine with a different front end, hood, and steering setup. The transmission, differential, drop axles, and most of the rear end of the tractor was purchased from the Fate-Root-Heath company in Plymouth, OH to use for the Junior. This particular tractor was purchased by my grandpa in 1983 from a used machinery dealer near Delphi, IN. This tractor was one of the first he purchased and restored to start his collection. It was restored in 1984, but it is now time for me to fix leaks, change old style seals, go through all its internal works, and give it a needed facelift. The pictures show what it looked like when my grandpa purchased it in 1983 and the third one is of the tractor 23 years after he restored it. The picture makes it look pretty good, but there is much work to be done to fix all the issues with it.

Attachments

Brasherman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Eli,
Looks to be a bit better shape starting out than the GB and SK tractors! :D

Corey

efred

Registered
As I mentioned in my first post, this tractor had many things I wanted to fix or make original again. One of those first things I wanted to fix was to get the belt pulley recovered and put back to how it originally was. As you can see in the first picture, it had been roughly altered to make it work. Originally the casting was supposed to be recessed inside the actually covered pulley, but it was altered to bolt up on the outside of the pulley. I separated the the casting with the spokes from the old pulley and had to do some grinding and metal finishing to get the casting free of unnecessary metal that was welding on. I also had to extend the spokes back as shown in the pictures. Once I had all that done, epoxy primer was put on and I sent it off to get recovered. The last picture shows the final product.

Attachments

efred

Registered
The steering on this tractor was very sloppy when I acquired it so I end up purchasing all new steering joints and rolled pins to replace the old worn out ones. The sheet metal steering column sleeve also had unnecessary welded spots on/in it that needed fixed so I corrected those spots and metal finished it to make it look better cosmetically. I also went completely through the steering gearbox at the front of the tractor as well, but I will cover that in an upcoming post. It is kind of hard to see, but you can see the before and after pictures.

Attachments

efred

Registered
The manifold on my Coop had been altered with a short threaded length of female pipe that had been welded to the manifold to receive a pipe to go through the hood for the exhaust. This was not originally correct so I had to cut and grind the welds off and remove the threaded section down to the original portion of the manifold. Once I got it ground down to original, I had it threaded into the manifold how it should be. When I got it back, I painted it with high-temp exhaust black paint and installed it as can be seen in the last picture. I will continue to post my progress of the rebuilding of the internal components of the tractor.

Attachments

efred

Registered
Eli,
Was this another insert repair? They look good.

Corey
Yes Corey. The hole for the exhaust pipe had to be machined out and a sleeve pressed in to put new threads in it. The sleeve was also welded to the existing manifold around the top ring and smoothed up. - Eli

kyletupper1

Registered
i have a pic of this tractor in a book from 20 to 25 yrs ago.the first book on tractors i ever got.kinda neat to finnaly get some back ground info on it.

efred

Registered
I decided while I was changing seals and bearings throughout this tractor and while I was going to have it apart, I might as well just get the clutch out and rebuilt. So I sent the clutch pressure plate and disc off to get fixed up. The clutch worked fine before, but I could tell that it was not near as crisp as the rebuilt one. Pictured is the clutch pressure plate assembly and disc before I sent it off and when it came back rebuilt. Also pictured is the flywheel I cleaned all up as well as put a new bearing in the center. I took the carb completely apart and cleaned it up and put some new rebuild parts in it. All of these parts turned out well and are ready for installation.

Attachments

efred

Registered
This tractor seemed to have some random holes drilled in it especially on the operator's platform as can be seen in the first picture. I don't believe these holes are original so I started welding all of them shut and metal finishing over top. These holes were not centered or in any reasonable pattern so I know they were added later. The hardest part of correcting the platform was trying to recreate the diamond tread pattern where it was supposed to be above some of the holes. I had to weld it up in these areas and use the die grinder to shape them to look presentable. They turned out pretty good and will look much better once it has a new coat of paint.

Attachments

efred

Registered
I finally got back on here to post an update on the progress with my Coop. The Coop ran very well before the tear-down, but I still wanted to drain all fluids, drop the oil pan and completely clean the engine block out as well as make sure all the internal components looked fine. As can be seen in the second picture, the oil pan had its fair share of sludge build-up over the years so I had to clean it out. I also completely flushed the cooling system and had to take the water pump off to get rebuilt. The first picture shows the beginning stages of tear-down with the hood off. I actually completely took the engine out (pic 4) to better examine it and clean it. Taking the engine out also allowed me to get the clutch rebuilt, flywheel resurfaced, and clean and inspect inside the bell housing. Much more work was done to the engine while it was out and I will highlight that in the next post soon.

Attachments

JFred

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2014
Will it be ready for Rushville? We are taking several COOP's up including the JR.
Hello Chris, yeah the JR is back together and up and running but unfortunately my brother and I have plans to attend the annual Silver King tractor show in Plymouth, OH on the 7-8 which I just realized is the same weekend as the Rushville show. The only chance would be if we ran down to the show on the 6th just for the day. We originally thought the Rushville show was a week later and we were hoping to attend. What days will you guys be there with the JR?

Chris Wheeler

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Plan on taking the tractors up on Thursday. We are putting the correct wheels on the JR now. The engine is still locked up, but at least it will roll. This will be the first time this tractor has been out in probably 30+ years.

efred

Registered
I'm about a month behind on getting my next post on here, but here are some more pictures of some of the engine work that was done on the Junior. As I stated in my previous post, I went ahead and took the engine completely out and did the best of could to clean it inside and out. While the engine was out and the valve cover and oil pan were off I checked the valve springs and tappets as well as made sure that all the wires were good that keep internal engine bolts from loosing on bearings, rods, etc. I also took off the timing cover and checked camshaft and crankshaft end plays. The crankshaft end up having about 30 thousandths too much end play! After all that was checked the timing cover, oil pan, and valve cover were put back on with new gaskets. The third picture shows us putting the engine back in the tractor after everything was checked over and flywheel and rebuilt clutch were assembled. Picture 4 just shows the engine back in also with the rebuilt governor on.

Attachments

efred

Registered
Here is a few pictures of the front hub on my B2 Junior that had to be fixed. The front wheels were put on with a portion of the hub mounting surface broken off so a piece of steel the right thickness had to be cut to shape to fill the missing portion. Weld had to be built up on the back side to recreate the extra thickness that was originally there. Once that piece was welded on, the hole for the lug bolt had to be drilled and tapped. After some intricate grinding and metal finishing, the hub turned out pretty good.

Attachments

efred

Registered
I'm behind on posting again, but wanted to post some of the progress on the Junior. I decided to disassemble the narrow front end spindle as well as the steering gearbox. There was some leakage over the years and I wanted to clean it all up and put new seals in to eliminate any leakage for the future. As seen in the pictures, it was very greasy and messy, but I cleaned all the oil/grease off and sandblasted the pedestal and steering box. After putting in new seals and checking all the parts over, I put the front end back together. The condition of the worm gear and main gear in the steering box were actually in good shape with minimal wear. Everything went together nicely and should be leak free now.

Attachments

efred

Registered
I am finally getting back to posting on the Junior. After the front end of the tractor was gone through, I took the rear drop axles off to go completely through them to eliminate the oil leaks that were clearly visible. This can be seen in the first picture. Once I tore into the drop axles, I found that the spring that goes over the leather seal that runs on the main hub had completely ate through the leather seals and had been rubbing on the main hub. I purchased new seals and got the main hub and springs back in shape ready to use again. The third and fourth pictures show the axles off and a picture of the brakes which needed some work. I completely disassembled every part on the axles and brakes to clean up and sandblast before assembling them again.

Attachments