• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

1941 Co-op B2 Junior Restoration

efred

Registered
Here are some pictures of what I found when I took the transmission and rear differential off of my Junior. It was very messy and looked like it all needed a thorough cleaning before reassembling. All the bearings and races were inspected and changed if needed and all seals were replaced to eliminate all leaks. I drained all fluids out and wipe out as much as I could before I thoroughly cleaned the castings, cavities, and gears out. The pto was also taken off and cleaned up. Once I had everything cleaned out and inspected, I reassembled and put back together. Those pictures can be seen on the next post.
 

Attachments

efred

Registered
Here are pictures of the transmission, differential, pto, and covers reinstalled. I sandblasted the components while I had them off and put a thin layer of clear over them to prevent them from rusting until I sandblast and paint the whole tractor. Now I have officially went through all the internal workings of the tractor and can focus on the outer appearance.
 

Attachments

efred

Registered
I was able to get another job knocked out on the Coop recently. After looking at a mostly original Coop B2 Jr. and some other B2 Seniors at a local show, I was able to get my best idea of the correct original measurements and look of the seat and seat bracket setup for my tractor. The first picture shows the result of bending a single length of 1.25" angle iron to make the seat bottom framework. The second picture shows the 2 seat bracket pieces shaped like original. The third picture is of the total frame of the seat minus the backrest and bottom cushions I will have to have made. The last pic is the framework mounted and waiting for cushions.
 

Attachments

efred

Registered
I now have cushions to complete the seat on my Junior. I had to cut wooden boards to the original specs for the bottom and the back rest, sand, drill holes where necessary, stain, and polyurethane before they were sent to a local shop to finish putting the cushions on. The cushion design is as close as I could get to the original from using original black and white factory pictures. The way the cushions are wrapped and the rivet style is like the original as well. The local shop did a nice job and it sure feels nice to sit on now:)
 

Attachments

efred

Registered
It has been a very long break on working on the Junior, but restoration progress is going to start picking up this winter. I plan to finish some last mechanical items on the Junior and sandblast and paint before the end of winter. I did a few small things on the tractor recently. These pictures show a couple things I did. The oil filter housing that was on the tractor was not like the original so I found the one I needed at a junkyard and had to clean it up and install it. I took off all the existing copper oil lines and brass fittings and replaced them with new ones I formed and routed like they originally would have been. This tractor also did not have a bracket to hold down the battery, which it would have had originally, so I purchased a framework from Steiner that needed slight modification to work. I purchased 2 long threaded stainless steel studs and wing nuts to complete the hold down. Based off of what can be seen from original pictures, the hold down setup I came up with is as close to original as can be determined.
 

Attachments

efred

Registered
Painting has officially begun! The Junior is being disassembled and I have the first batch of items painted, which are the rims, wheel centers, and lugs. All the items that make up the wheels were sandblasted first, masked, prepped, and painted with PPG epoxy primer, base color, and clear coat over top. The pictures show painting the primer, silver for the lugs, red and clear coat, and the final product ready to be installed on the chassis once I get it sandblasted and painted. The next several weeks I should make some very good progress with sandblasting and painting the rest of the tractor so stay tuned.
 

Attachments

efred

Registered
Now that the wheels are all put back together and painted, I am next working on getting the chassis ready for paint. All the internals of the tractor have already been rebuilt as I posted earlier, so I sealed the transmission, drop axles, and rear differential to sandblast the rest of the chassis. After I got the chassis sandblasted and back in the shop, I had to do some prep work to get it ready to paint. Once I get the chassis painted, I can install the completed wheels on and roll it around.
 

Attachments

efred

Registered
The chassis of the tractor is now painted with epoxy primer, base red, and clear coat and ready for the wheels, which were completed earlier. I was also able to get painted the parts on the tractor that are supposed to be silver, including the engine. Now the tractor is rolling and one step closer to completion.
 

Attachments

Top