• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

1941 Co-op B2 Junior Restoration

efred

Registered
Here are some pictures of what I found when I took the transmission and rear differential off of my Junior. It was very messy and looked like it all needed a thorough cleaning before reassembling. All the bearings and races were inspected and changed if needed and all seals were replaced to eliminate all leaks. I drained all fluids out and wipe out as much as I could before I thoroughly cleaned the castings, cavities, and gears out. The pto was also taken off and cleaned up. Once I had everything cleaned out and inspected, I reassembled and put back together. Those pictures can be seen on the next post.

Attachments

efred

Registered
Here are pictures of the transmission, differential, pto, and covers reinstalled. I sandblasted the components while I had them off and put a thin layer of clear over them to prevent them from rusting until I sandblast and paint the whole tractor. Now I have officially went through all the internal workings of the tractor and can focus on the outer appearance.

Attachments

efred

Registered
I was able to get another job knocked out on the Coop recently. After looking at a mostly original Coop B2 Jr. and some other B2 Seniors at a local show, I was able to get my best idea of the correct original measurements and look of the seat and seat bracket setup for my tractor. The first picture shows the result of bending a single length of 1.25" angle iron to make the seat bottom framework. The second picture shows the 2 seat bracket pieces shaped like original. The third picture is of the total frame of the seat minus the backrest and bottom cushions I will have to have made. The last pic is the framework mounted and waiting for cushions.

Attachments

efred

Registered
I now have cushions to complete the seat on my Junior. I had to cut wooden boards to the original specs for the bottom and the back rest, sand, drill holes where necessary, stain, and polyurethane before they were sent to a local shop to finish putting the cushions on. The cushion design is as close as I could get to the original from using original black and white factory pictures. The way the cushions are wrapped and the rivet style is like the original as well. The local shop did a nice job and it sure feels nice to sit on now:)

Attachments

efred

Registered
It has been a very long break on working on the Junior, but restoration progress is going to start picking up this winter. I plan to finish some last mechanical items on the Junior and sandblast and paint before the end of winter. I did a few small things on the tractor recently. These pictures show a couple things I did. The oil filter housing that was on the tractor was not like the original so I found the one I needed at a junkyard and had to clean it up and install it. I took off all the existing copper oil lines and brass fittings and replaced them with new ones I formed and routed like they originally would have been. This tractor also did not have a bracket to hold down the battery, which it would have had originally, so I purchased a framework from Steiner that needed slight modification to work. I purchased 2 long threaded stainless steel studs and wing nuts to complete the hold down. Based off of what can be seen from original pictures, the hold down setup I came up with is as close to original as can be determined.

Attachments

efred

Registered
Painting has officially begun! The Junior is being disassembled and I have the first batch of items painted, which are the rims, wheel centers, and lugs. All the items that make up the wheels were sandblasted first, masked, prepped, and painted with PPG epoxy primer, base color, and clear coat over top. The pictures show painting the primer, silver for the lugs, red and clear coat, and the final product ready to be installed on the chassis once I get it sandblasted and painted. The next several weeks I should make some very good progress with sandblasting and painting the rest of the tractor so stay tuned.

Attachments

efred

Registered
Now that the wheels are all put back together and painted, I am next working on getting the chassis ready for paint. All the internals of the tractor have already been rebuilt as I posted earlier, so I sealed the transmission, drop axles, and rear differential to sandblast the rest of the chassis. After I got the chassis sandblasted and back in the shop, I had to do some prep work to get it ready to paint. Once I get the chassis painted, I can install the completed wheels on and roll it around.

Attachments

efred

Registered
The chassis of the tractor is now painted with epoxy primer, base red, and clear coat and ready for the wheels, which were completed earlier. I was also able to get painted the parts on the tractor that are supposed to be silver, including the engine. Now the tractor is rolling and one step closer to completion.

Attachments

efred

Registered
Painting progress is continuing along nicely. I was able to get the completed wheels installed on the tractor and the engine mounted. I have a batch of red colored parts, a black colored batch, and then the gas tank and hood before the painting is done. Here is what is completed thus far. The next update will be of the rest of the parts painted and installed except for the gas tank and hood. Those two pieces will need extensive work before they are ready for paint.

Attachments

efred

Registered
The Junior needed some work on the radiator before paint. Pictured is the completed radiator before it was installed. The radiator had a cracked brass neck on the top of it so it was cut off and a new neck was made to be the right size needed. Also, the shield pictured needed soldered on since the original was missing.

Attachments

efred

Registered
I managed to get the rest of the parts painted, but have the hood and fuel tank still to do. The remaining parts I just finished consisted of some black and red parts. They are now installed on the tractor. Here are some pictures of where the tractor stands as of now.

Attachments

efred

Registered
The fuel tank and straps were the next thing on the list to get fixed so they could be installed in the hood when it gets done. The fuel straps were originally riveted to the hood with 2 rivets each, but 2 of the 4 straps were broken at one time and were welded on. So I had to cut those welds and drill holes so they could be reattached with rivets correctly. Two new straps had to be made as well which you can see in one of the pictures. The rest of the pictures show the process of welding in a partial new bottom to the fuel tank. The tank was patched with fiberglass resin and a sealer to keep it from leaking, but I wanted to sandblast it completely down and start over. After sandblasting, many pinholes appearred and it was decided some of the bottom needed replaced. A flange tool was used as well as a TIG welder to attach the new piece. The tank was then tumbled, sealed, and painted ready for installation.

Attachments

efred

Registered
The last piece of the Junior that needed extensive work to complete this restoration was the hood. I first had to put several layers of paint stripper on it to be able to remove most of the thick paint to make the sandblasting go easier. Once the worst of the old paint was removed, I sandblasted the whole hood except for the side shields which I didn't need anymore because I planned to make new ones. As you will see from the pictures, there was some damaged spots on the front grille that had to be welded and shaped. The track that the front grille screen is supposed to slide in did not work good so new steel straps were made and spot welded in as well as the strap iron around the front bottom. All the old pieces needed the welds cut and removed. The new side shield pieces had to be welded on and the fuel tank straps had to be riveted on as well. Once all the metal work was completed, a lot of hammer and dolly work had to be done. Then the hood was sprayed with epoxy primer and a couple coats of PPG surfacer was sprayed on and then sanded to smooth out any imperfections. After that, I was able to paint the red and then clear coat over top to complete the hood. Pictures of the completed tractor soon to come.

Attachments