• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

1942 Monarch 10EE Lathe

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
I have a 1942 round-dial just like it in my shop. A 'stopped working' situation is not a difficult aspect to troubleshoot, and they're not difficult to VFD.

I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING.... it's FANTASTIC.

D1-3 spindle, and Jarno #12 taper.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
There's many different flavors of 10EE... they obvious major exterior change is identified by the feed adjustment... early units like this, and mine, are 'round dial', where later are 'square dial'. There's several variations of drive... the motor-generator appeared in at least two variations, possibly 3, then there was a couple of electronic drives, at least one used mercury rectifier tubes in a variable-dc arrangement. Modernized, fully refurbished 10EEs can still be purchased through Monarch... with modern VFD and DRO systems... they're incredibly precise, incredible finish quality, incredibly durable and dimensionally stable, and incredibly expensive.

I have an old Allis-Chalmers 480v 3ph motor driving my spindle via a 3:1 Gates Polychain. The motor is powerered by a first-generation 480v Allen-Bradley 1336 equipped with an external braking resistor. The 1336 receives 480v single phase from a 7kva 480:240v dry transformer wired backwards... 240 in, 480 out. I half-tapped the 240 side to provide 120 for the lights, controls, and coolant pump (if I ever decide to use it). It's an awesome machine. it's STILL sloppy, btw... mine came from Oak Ridge National Labs via Rock Island Arsenal DRMO, tagged "Uneconomical To Repair", which means it was Just My Type of Gal. ;-)