• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

1948 Chevy Truck, 3/4 ton Thriftmaster, New to Me

MSchreiber

Subscriber
Been working on this project last month now. Neat original truck, last plated and safety inspected 1976. So used 28 years and barn stored 42 years. P.O. put all new brakes on it 2008 along with tune up. Carb leaked so bad he gave up on it. (new float worked wonders)
Original 216 engine and 4 on the floor with GM stake bed with sides. So far everything works fine including the welder. Gotta change motor mounts and then it'll be my fairweather grocery getter. thanks 4 looking. :salute:

looking 4 usable original door glass, and usable original passenger sunvisor. not repro's.

1st day home.

Working toward a service truck lincoln 200 amp welder mounted.

Last edited:

MSchreiber

Subscriber
Thanks 4 thinking of it, but i'm keeping sheet metal like it is. If i change the right 1, it won't match the left. It looks better in photos than standing next to it. You can't look at it without seeing rust, scratch or dent.:salute:

Esteban32696

Registered
Kool old truck. These were prone to rust at lower rear corners of the cab. Many owners replaced the engines with a bolt-in, later model 235, which was a better engine, that could be adapted to make some extra horsepower.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
A lot of guys put in later motors, the late GM in line six will also bolt in (230/ 250/ 292) using the later bell housing. The heavier trucks with the open drive shaft, you can use a newer trans for different ratios and maybe even one with over drive. Some of us even bolted in GM V8s, ( 283/ 350 etc) Using either a custom made exhaust manifold or relocating the steering gear box to out side the frame. Convert to 12 volt with an alternator, your good to go highway speed.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Mothers cousin in South Dakota had a 50 one ton pickup he bought new, only had about 50,000 miles when he passed on. I tried to talk his brother into letting me buy it but he took back to Minnesota and sold it to someone else. I wanted to buy the farm at Mansfield SD where the family lived but the jerk sold it to the tenant who left the place rot. That was one of the few one ton pickups that I ever saw. We have the 1.5 ton that grandpa bought new still here, but the climate has been rough on it. I wouldn't mind finding a decent 3/4 ton pickup to use for a local driver. At one time they were every where but time has really thinned then out.

MSchreiber

Subscriber
Kool old truck. These were prone to rust at lower rear corners of the cab. Many owners replaced the engines with a bolt-in, later model 235, which was a better engine, that could be adapted to make some extra horsepower.
this 1 still has all its original parts since assembled. this 1 no holes at the rear, but bottom of door pillars have holes due to 28 years of rural dirt roads. thaanks. :salute:

---------- Post added at 07:51:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49:21 PM ----------

A lot of guys put in later motors, the late GM in line six will also bolt in (230/ 250/ 292) using the later bell housing. The heavier trucks with the open drive shaft, you can use a newer trans for different ratios and maybe even one with over drive. Some of us even bolted in GM V8s, ( 283/ 350 etc) Using either a custom made exhaust manifold or relocating the steering gear box to out side the frame. Convert to 12 volt with an alternator, your good to go highway speed.
i'm keeping this 1 like it is, using it as my fairweather grocery getter. thanks. :salute:

---------- Post added at 07:54:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51:30 PM ----------

I wouldn't mind finding a decent 3/4 ton pickup to use for a local driver. At one time they were every where but time has really thinned then out.
yep! they seem 2b going fast. even the lunky 1.5 ton grain dumps r getting bought up. i'm happy i got this 1 after looking 6 years. thanks. :salute:

Last edited:

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
There have been several of these old trucks in the extended family since they were new, never had issues with the windshields. Now the cowl vent would leak as the seal was long since dried out. The door glass was a different story. They always liked to crack and break, seems the track guide would get bad and if you slammed too hard the glass was history.