• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

1951 Clark Planeloader

carkrazd

Registered
Hope you can help with this.
this forklift has truck tires and wheels 16"
the wheels have no center hub and are held by six spokes
with a flange and one nut on each [ think old school tractor trailer] but they are not split rims ( are these bud wheels)
and how can I mount these in my coats 40/40 tire machine to change tires.
Is there a plate that sits over the wheel to hold it down and center it on the machine?
Thanks

KevinJ

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
They look like Dayton wheels to me, not Budd, and they look like a lock ring type wheel.

Do have any close up pics of the wheels?

carkrazd

Registered
Hi Kevin
The picture will double in size if you click on it twice
but I don't see any locking ring on front or back inside or out.
its funny I think of Dayton wheels on low rider cars (gold with spokes)
lots of bling
Thanks For Your Help

KevinJ

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
The pic is not good enough to zoom in on the wheels, they appear to be Daytons. They also are not drop center so they must have a ring of some sort. The steer rim looks to have a lock ring on it. On the drive the rings will be inside facing each other.

I am sure others know about this lift and its wheels.

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006
The ring on the lug side is removable, it's one piece, drops to the center and there's a flat spot that allows removal. The inner part of the ring wil look sort of egg shaped when it's off. This is a two piece rim, most tire shops won't work on them, maybe an old trucker will help you. Put just enough air to raise the lock into place, mount it on the dual set up where the locks are facing each other and finish airing. If it has to go back on the steering axle run it around with a load until you're comfortable before moving it.

KevinJ

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
Here are some shoots of the wheels
I think maybe these are split rims.
but notice there is no gap in the outer ring.
so does the ring make these split rims?
Not split rims but a lock ring style. I believe that is a solid ring which will have a notch for the iron and 2 notches to allow it to slide off to one side.

Once you break the bead and the ring is loose it will be obvious what you have.

The picks clearly show that the outer ring is a separate part.

MoRo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/15/2019
Take some time to clean the rust off the rings and mating surfaces so they work properly. Inspect the ring for warpage, the surfaces for wear. If things look iffy, find new rims and rings. They're nothing to take chances with.

KevinJ

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
Take some time to clean the rust off the rings and mating surfaces so they work properly. Inspect the ring for warpage, the surfaces for wear. If things look iffy, find new rims and rings. They're nothing to take chances with.
Good advice, some I have had some apart the ring needs go back exactly the way it was due to wear. Mainly found this on the early aluminum Budds with single lock ring.

The bead seats need to be cleaned well along the ring and its seat.

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
That is a two piece rim, it will have a tube and flap in it. You can't use a tire machine on it. You need either a tire hammer or a bar to move the beads to loosen the rim and tire irons to remove the ring.

Bill Feasal

Registered
Just throw the old tire and rim away, they are nothing to mess with, even if you try to reassemble and inflate them in a tire cage they can blow and hurt you. this style of rim can blow and kill with only 15 # of air. They were all right when they were new but these are old and rusty and scary.

carkrazd

Registered
What can they be replaced with ?
What safe wheel will fit on this style of hub or mounting system? maybe we will have to replace the hubs with something different
A type of wheel I can change the tire on myself would be great.
any thoughts on that anyone .
And Thanks every one for all your help on this post.:salute:

MoRo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/15/2019
A lot of the larger fork lifts of this size use a truck rear end and truck wheels. On those, the hubs can be replaced with the style that accepts the disc, or budd, type wheel. No rings to worry about. Tires mount and dismount rather easily with a bead breaker, good set of irons, and a generous doping of RuGlyde on the beads. Your local tire shop can help you find a decent set of used rims if you don't want to go new. A truck repair shop, or truck wheel and brake place can help you find the hubs.

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
That would be too much trouble to change hubs and wheels, you can use the split rims. We still use a lot of split rims, you just have to know how to work on them. If they are 16" rims you can mount tubeless tires with tubes in them.