• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

1951 L-185 international truck

Bryce D

Registered
I'm not sure still trying to figure out what I have. Mostly trying to figure out what tranny and rear end. A friend says that international has made a lot of there own rear ends.

Attachments

MoRo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/15/2019
The Silver Diamond would have regular bearing inserts instead of babbit?

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
It looks like a heavy truck but it has six bolt Budd wheels which most two ton trucks would have.

Bud Tierney

Registered
If you haven't already, you might also try oldihc.com---it has occasional problems staying online but nice helpful people when you can get thru...

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

OOPS---57 Motor Truck manial says came with Red Diamond 372 (43/8x41/8=oversquare) and does show Eaton, IH and Timken axles, as referred to above, but doesn't say which in which, altho any could've been options...
You local library should have copy, and they usually have copy machines if you want to copy pages...

Zoom

Registered
Try going to your nearest IH dealer and give them the serial #, you used to be able to get a "line sheet" showing what components it was originally equipped with for just a few dollars. I used to work for a small government agency that had a rather obscure collection of IH trucks (some of them from the 50's like yours) and was able to get line sheets for them. Anyway it's worth a try.
Dirk

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
My dad has a 1951 L-180 it had a different grille and two smaller back windows instead of one large single one.
Did they change body styles that year?

Steve

Bryce D

Registered
Thanks guys.
I have heard about the build tickets. I was told they are quite rare for 50's vehicles. Lots of them for 60's vehicles. There has been some discussion with friends about the back window. Doing a picture search on the internet shows many with the split window and many with the full window. Don't know about the grille thing. Well off to the library to look at motor books.

Farquharman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/26/2019
Looks like a "Road Liner" 372 cid super red diamond, 143 brake hp at 3,200rpm, 12 inch clutch, 5 speed with direct or overdrive in 5th, single or 2 speed rear axle, 9.00x20 tires were standard. This is from International harvester trucks 1907-2007 by Fred Crismon. My 1951 L-212 has two small back windows, if I remember correctly in the later part of 1951 there was a body style change which could account for the two windows verses single back window. Hope this helps you with a few of your questions.

I looked in my L IHC shop manual, single speed rear end was IH, or 2 speed rear end was Eaton. If can let me know what you have I will post the specs.

Last edited:

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
The silver diamond 220 and 240 engines used poured bearings until 1952. The engines were good for about 45 MPH, then you knocked the bearings out of it. Don't ask how I know! In '52 they went to inserts, and then you could do 50. At that point, the stellite/sodium exhaust valves would break! in 1955 they went to the green diamond, which for all intents and purposes was a 'modern engine'. The dual rear window L series trucks came out in 1949 - the 1950 model year. In 1950-51 model trucks, the doors had internal hinges. in 1952 IHC went to external hinges and also made changes to the front grill.

If your truck has its original glove box, carefully remove it. The original built ticket was placed there, on top of the box, at the factory. It will be a fragile paper ticket with engine and running gear noted as well as options fitted. It may be glued in place (mine was). I had the original from my 1950 L-120, S/N F-9108. First number was year built, numbers following were actual S/N (built 1949, 108th of the model. The build ticket had the actual assembly date on it - Oct 1949.
Andrew

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Andrew, the green diamond is the flat head six and it was in the smaller K series from K-5 on down and it had bearing inserts built in the 40,s. I haven't seen a 220 or 240 with babbit bearings. I have an R-190 with internal hinges. The R series came out after the L series.

Andrew, I am wrong, my truck has external hinges.

Last edited:

rennkafer

Registered
For Lineset tickets the place to go to is the Wisconsin Historical Society, last time I got one for a Travelall (about 3 years ago) they cost $20 and they could just email it to you. You're right about them being fairly rare for 50's vehicles but it can't hurt to ask.

Here's their info:
To request, send model, year and VIN to:
McCormick-International Harvester Collection
816 State Street
Madison, WI 53706
FAX: 608-264-6484
E-MAIL: askmccormick@wisconsinhistory.org

For other info you might try Binderplanet.com, JustIH.com, or IHAmerica.com (they sell parts but also have a user forum. Great parts supplier though a bit Scout-centric like most of them).

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Here is a picture of my R-190, It has a five speed with a two speed rear end and has air brakes. It has cast (Dayton) wheels, also red diamond 450 engine.

I think his truck is an R series.

It has 9:00 on front and 10:00 tires on back.

Attachments

Last edited:

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
I think you will find that most medium and heavy duty trucks at that time were all built to order with a option list several pages long. Dealers would either spec out unit to customers need or what they felt was needed for the intended market. Wheels and tire and spring ratings were but just a few choices available, so you will see many variations for any given model.

JIMnWV

eMail NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
08/25/2011
Dad retired from a International/GMC truck dealership, while he was still there I bought a 1961 B-160 IH. International dealers ask for the last 8 digits of the serial number to order parts. Needless to say mine was lucky to have 8 digits total, but they sent my number to the IH archives in Chicago and got me a duplicate copy of the original line sheet. Gulf Green was the original paint still showing. The Key fob matched the town name from the original purchaser, phone number was 4 digits. Ask your local IH dealer and see if they will help you, I think it cost like 15.00 to get a copy of the line sheet...? Good luck.