• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

1955 US NAVY Mobile Machine Shop Trailer with Schramm/KatoLight 5kw

ms68sprint

Registered
Bought this trailer for storage and look whats inside!!!

Would like to find a owners manual & a shop manual for it.

Any info on it would be neat really....

Anybody know what it could be worth? I AM NOT LOOKING TO SELL IT.....

Where can I get parts if I need anymore of them. As of right now I need a battery, air filter, fuel filters because I probally need to clean the fuel system!!!

And after all thats said and done I might need some help/ info on how to start the darn thing!!!

Yes Im a girl. A RARE KIND MAYBE. That isnt afraid of DIRT & OIL.
:shrug:
The know how to do it myself is better than having to pay for someone else to do it.

If you cant afford to do it wright the first time how can you afford to do it twice?

Attachments

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Welcome to the stak, we need a few more women around here. Did you get the whole mobile machine shop, or just the trailer with a Schramm compressor? I had/still have an army mobile machine shop, I just wanted the lathe out of it. Many people thought I should keep the whole thing together, but it took a semi truck to move it, and it was made for someone 5'6" or shorter, and I just smacked my head every time trying to move around inside of it.

Not sure of parts sources, but there is always ebay for NOS parts, but you might need a parts book to get the part numbers to search by. Should be a few guys showing up soon that know more about the Schramm compressors. If possible step back aways and get us some pics of the whole unit, and anytime you work on it get us more pics, we all like pics:D

ms68sprint

Registered
Oh my husband wishes the lathe was still inside of it, but sadlyit was taken out prior to me buying it. (Honestly, I am kinda bummed to) LOL

YES I did get the whole unit. (pics below)

Both of the sides that open and everything. I think of it has a "Tinker On Cave" It has a Hunter Heater on the front wall that gonna come in handy in the winter time.

I found this forum when I googled "Schramm" and it seems theres some knowledgable people in here for sure!

It seems Jim Arras is the "Schramm Guru" here. I found him on Facebook and a group that he is a moderator of. I did post there but no reply as of yet!

Attachments

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Interesting, have not seen that style of trailer before, seen some similar in style as far as the body, but not with a front steering axle. Are the sides split down the middle, top swings up, bottom down for more floor space? Did you get the big heavy curtains to close the sides in when walls are extended? There is also another style where the walls slide out. And another style where it is all mounted on a truck.

Here is the thread on my trailer https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168869&highlight=standard+modern+lathe I pulled the lathe out last year. You've got me wondering about the engine/generator/welder still mounted to front, when pulling the lathe I noticed it has a compressed air storage tank mounted in the ceiling (found it with my head), so maybe its a compressor too? I'll have to look again.

ms68sprint

Registered
Yes the sides open, from the front to the rear, top goes up and bottom goes down.

No, I didnt get the heavy canvas walls. I wish I would of....

I have started to "tinker" with it a little... I was taught to check for fuel delivery, air intake and ignition.
Because no air/no fuel/no spark is no start problem.

1st) the choke cable was froze up. Fixed that. ✔
2nd)Fuel tank, fuel lines, & fuel pump were plugged solid with very varnished fuel.
I figured it couldnt be that hard to clean the pump out and throw a rebuild kit at it, good as new.

Welp I'm almost as stuck as those fuel lines because I cannot find a kit ANYWHERE.

What replacement pump would I use.

I know I know you need pics! LoL should be able to get some TOMORROW afternoon sometime.

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Get some pics of pump. Did you find a manual? I've never worked on a Schramm, so I'm not much help there. My guess is that you will need to figure out what engine it is based on, most of the Shramm compressors I have seen were based off a different mfr's engine.

Jim Arras

Registered
It’s a 1955 unistage compressor. I have books on the compressor only, nothing covering this setup with generator attachment.

cornbinder89

Registered
Yes the sides open, from the front to the rear, top goes up and bottom goes down.

No, I didnt get the heavy canvas walls. I wish I would of....

I have started to "tinker" with it a little... I was taught to check for fuel delivery, air intake and ignition.
Because no air/no fuel/no spark is no start problem.

1st) the choke cable was froze up. Fixed that. ✔
2nd)Fuel tank, fuel lines, & fuel pump were plugged solid with very varnished fuel.
I figured it couldnt be that hard to clean the pump out and throw a rebuild kit at it, good as new.

Welp I'm almost as stuck as those fuel lines because I cannot find a kit ANYWHERE.

What replacement pump would I use.

I know I know you need pics! LoL should be able to get some TOMORROW afternoon sometime.
Might try Then and Now in Weymouth, MA for a rebuild kit or they can rebuild for you. They might be able to ID off any numbers you can find on the pump.
Does it look something like this:
That is what my IHC pump looks like, and they can make it new again.

Attachments

Last edited:

ms68sprint

Registered
Might try Then and Now in Weymouth, MA for a rebuild kit or they can rebuild for you. They might be able to ID off any numbers you can find on the pump.
Does it look something like this:
That is what my IHC pump looks like, and they can make it new again.
cornbinder89
That fuel pump is mounted upside down, right? Meaning bowl UP & mounting flange below....

Mine isnt like that, its very very similar!
But mine has a bottom bowl and it doesn't have the metal riser inside.

I will check Then and Now, I believe I seen there site from Google search results once before......

Thanks again for the info.

cornbinder89

Registered
Not on my K International, the bowl is down and looks exactly like the one in the picture. I guess in a different application they might run bowl up.
My guess is the basic casting is used in a lot of different applications, and used with different arms etc to meet the application.

Motorhead

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
That is a sweet old machine! Looks like the two center cylinders of the engine are the compressor and the two outer are the engine driver of everything.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Yeah! I love the firing order with the "0"s in there in place of 2 and 3! :D How many kw is the generator?

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
For the fuel pump I'd just sub a low pressure electric and be done with it. Make sure you look for a "low pressure" model, as most others nowadays are aimed at high pressure fuel injection systems. BIG difference in pressure.
Doc