• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

1957 AEND flywheel removal

Jim M.

Registered
What is the secret to removing the flywheel on this engine? I pull out on the flywheel (no detectable movement) and rap sharply with a brass hammer. Nothing! I'm using a screw on steel collar to protect the threads and PB Blaster has no effect on it. I don't want to use a steel hammer but I'm tempted to. Any ideas? Jim :shrug:

Zira

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
03/21/2020
If you have a puller big enough, use that to put pressure on it. I use a nut flush with the end of the shaft, but you probably don't have one if you don't work on Wisconsin's a lot. Use a good sized copper or brass hammer & hit hard.

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
If you heat the flywheel and use a screwdriver to pry out on the back of the flywheel when you hit the crankshaft it should come off. Heating the flywheel will loosen the taper. Don't heat the flywheel any hotter than you have to.

KidDynamo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/18/2020
If you are whacking the nut on the crankshaft, don't have the engine held or bolted down and let the crankshaft otherwise float "in space".

The idea is to whack the crankshaft nut which applies force to the crankshaft and the rest of the engine resulting in "movement" but inertia of the flywheel causes it to "want" to remain stationary and thus the parts tend to separate.

If the crankshaft and/or engine is captive, the effective force of the technique is severely compromised and so it doesn't work nearly as well.

Jim M.

Registered
It's finally off! I clamped a Visegrip to one flywheel fin and wedged a very long screwdriver in it to pull the flywheel out from the engine and I used a heavier hammer. After working on AKNs and BKNs this was a much tougher nut to crack. Thanks for your help guys! I'm sure I'll run into more issues as I start the rebuilding process. Jim :)

I remember pulling the flywheel off of my AHH. I used a brass punch and a 16 oz hammer. I had to hit it extremely hard, about as hard as when you whack a brake drum to remove it when its been on the vehicle long enough to corrode onto the axle shaft flange. I did make the mistake of hitting it with just the steel hammer, but I didnt damage it too badly, i stopped after i noticed the metal starting to displace.