• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

1960 Sears Allstate 3 HP Scooters; $950

oldmotorette

Registered
Both have the original Continental AU85 engines. Sears offered these scooters for one year only. One scooter has been correctly restored - powder coated; engine has original paint, decals. The other is complete sans body, and is a roller. I've been through the restored scooter's engines countless times; valves lapped, bore deglazed, carb rebuilt, new points/coil, etc. Still a no start. I'm throwing in the towel. Very rare scooters. Sold as a pair on Bill of Sale only, at a bargain price $950. 50 miles nw of Chicago. Happy to answer any questions, email photos.

PLCtech

Registered
Re: 1960 Sears Allstate 3 HP. scooters; $950

Gosh, if you really like these and want to get them running maybe we (Smokstak ppl) can help. If you want to be rid of them, that's ok too. We can figure this out. These can't be very sophisticated engines.

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020

Give us the basics: Does it have spark?

oldmotorette

Registered

Fellas...thanks. The wonderfully helpful people on this site have been advising me on these scooters for going on two years. My success has been extremely limited.
Here're the engine details in short:
Entire engine checked out by an experienced AU85 man. He judged it in good shape; deglazed the cylinder, lapped the valves, checked clearances.
The carb has been rebuilt by a professional.
The compression seems fine - there's healthy resistance on the kickstarter.
I've replaced the coil. The spark plug (a correct non-resistor plug). The points. The condenser. All, more than once.
The timing is dead-on.
The mag is strong.
Last set of new points and condenser showed a very healthy spark for a half-dozen kicks...then - no spark.
I have fiddled and stared at this engine for so long - I can no longer come up with new ideas. Yep, it's a simple engine. But I think it needs a new set of eyes and hands.