• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

1975 SS16 mower deck bearings

robert d

Registered
Im trying to rebuild the center arbour on my sears "917.253540" 42 inch mower deck. The diagrams at sears parts direct show them to be, cone part # 9494H and cup part# 888R. But these parts are no longer avaliable, so a sutable sub. listed as #STD315656(cone) and #STD315666(cup) made by Hoover. After removing the center drive arbour from the deck and partal dis-assembly the top bearing is a Timken #LM12749.I have not removed the spindle from the unit so i do not yet have the cup # but upper and lower bearings and cups are listed as the same. Dose any one know if the Timken # is a sutable sub. for the outhers, or has someone attempted to replace the bearings with some that are close but not quite right. I want to get it right so as not to do this over in a few years. All help appricated. Robert D.:confused:

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010
I just pull the bearing's,Measure the shaft and housing's take all this info to my local napa and have them match them up.Sometime's all they can get is sealed bearing's so I'll just pop the seal's out and install them.I'v had the luck of the sealed bearing's are less expensive than the non sealed one's also! :)

Arlie Levy

Registered
There is a company called motion industries that also has bearings, seals, and bushings. All you need to do is take the old bearing and they match it up. They do a great job.

robert d

Registered
thanks to all that responded.I went to my local NAPA with one of the removed bearings and the arbour housing. theay were able to use the Timken # for a straight across line up with their house brand(NAPA Preformance Bearings) and at a verry good price, 11.44 including tax for 2 bearings and the cups.PRB16 is what the bearing sets turned out to be in this application if it will help anyone else. agean thanks to the guys that helped out. Robert D.:D